• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. D

Klonopin-Side effects and switching to another med

I take diazepam during the day for anxiety (I try and only take it when I have to go out, which is when I'm most anxious). I often find when I get hope I fall asleep, because I'm then out of the anxiety-provoking situation and so the diazepam causes drowsiness. However, I still don't have...
  2. D

How to Turn Down the Fight/Flight Response?

I bought some GABA a while back, but then read that it's unable to cross the blood-brain barrier so decided it was a waste of money. Maybe it can do something without needing to cross the barrier, and obviously if people find it helps that's what's important.
  3. D

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Red04, It might be worth her trying Ubiquinol CoQ10. I've been taking 100mg/day for about 2 weeks and I've definitely felt more energised, manic even, although my general body weakness/bone pain/unfitness still restricts me. I got Dr's Best Ubiquinol 100mg, 60 capsules for 17.83 from iHerb...
  4. D

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Thanks for the info on magnesium dmholmes. I'm still trying to find a decent calcium/magnesium product and searching on albion labs I found this Bluebonnet product that seems good: http://www.iherb.com/Bluebonnet-Nutrition-Chelated-Calcium-Magnesium-120-Caplets/13799?at=0 It's 120...
  5. D

Why the increase in excitotoxity on the methylation block treatment?

Hi serg1942 This is from page 1216S of Victor Herberts essay "Staging vitamin B12 (cobalamin) status in vegetarians" published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. It can be downloaded here...
  6. D

B-12 - The Hidden Story

I'm using the 5-star brands you recommend. I feel I've trialed enough to establish that hydroxy on it's own has beneficial effects for me that the combination of Jarrow MB12, Adb12, methylfolate and B-Right doesn't. I just call 'em as I see 'em, and if it appears to me that something...
  7. D

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Hi soulfeast This just confuses me. If the body needs methyl from either methylB12 or TMG to convert homocysteine to methionine, why should taking TMG be any different to taking methylB12? Or to put it another way, if methyl-B12's only function is to give provide methyl to convert...
  8. D

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Hi Freddd My, you do like to waffle don't you. Out of the 6 paragraphs you wrote in response to my simple point, only the parts I've quoted above are relevant to the discussion of how much of a hydroxy injection converts to mb12/adb12. As you don't think that TC can bind with cobalamins...
  9. D

B-12 - The Hidden Story

That's just misleading (hopefully not intentionally). As I've told you plenty of times, I had hydroxy injections which cleared up my main symptoms of burning ankles and tingling in the limbs. Taking methyl after that didn't make any noticeable difference to anything that could be described as a...
  10. D

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Hi Freddd I don't believe IF is involved with injections or sublinguals, so that's a red herring. Do you have some reason to think that methyl has some additional way of getting into cells other than via TC, that doesn't apply to hydroxy?
  11. D

Calculating B12 requirements / monthly loss

I found this http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122327484/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0 which says that only 25% of a hydroxycobalamin injection is excreted in the first 24 hours (as opposed to 80% for cyanocobalamin), so that leaves 750mcg. Can anyone help any further in calculating how...
  12. D

Hi serg1942 I know there's evidence that Vitamin C destroys B12 in the gut, but I'm not sure that's relevant if you were putting the B12 directly into your bloodstream with injections or sublinguals held in the mouth. Maybe the Vitamin C was destroying the B12 that the liver excretes into...
  13. D

I'd say I've had the symptoms you describe as excitotoxicity for a long time and I don't think they increased when I started MB12/Methyfolate/B-Right. When I started taking these last year, they actually gave me refreshing sleep and after about 6 hours sleep I was able to get up quite easily...
  14. D

Relationship between B12 and Folates

What about if I'm taking methylcobalamin. Does that mean there's no need to take methylfolate as the methylcobalamin already has the methyl group attached?
  15. D

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Wildaisy and dmholmes, the mb12 has never made me sleepy, although I found I had to have a nap after the hydroxy injections! When I started taking mb12 last year, along with methyfolate and B-right, I found it made me have refreshing sleep and I could get out of bed easily after 6 hours...
  16. D

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Hi Freddd I'm aware that there are specificity and false +ve problems with the MMA and Hcy tests, with the latter specifically smoking, alcohol, B6 and folate deficiencies, but the last two can easily be checked and treated beforehand if necessary and the first two can perhaps be eliminated...
  17. D

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Hi Freddd Regarding multivitamins, Professor Herbert states that whilst they confer immune enhancement, this "brings out and maintains latent autoimmune disorders". You suggest that this is due to B12 deficiency caused by the cyanocobalamin in the multivitamins. However, the evidence seems to...
  18. D

Calculating B12 requirements / monthly loss

I'm trying to work out what my monthly loss of B12 is likely to be and therefore how much supplementary B12 would be needed to replace this. I believe, due to my PPI use and subsequent low B12 levels, that I'm absorbing little, if any, bilary B12 or dietary B12. I understand the bilary B12...
  19. D

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Professor Herbert clearly provides references supporting the theory that multivitamins harm some, help some and do nothing for others. As you have no idea which multivitamins were studied and whether they even contained cyanocobalamin, it's rather disingenuous of you to suggest that is the...
  20. D

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Hi Jade You might be interested in this page http://www.victorherbert.com/BehavioralNeurology.htm which argues that Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Vitamin A/Beta caratone are actually harmful. It also states (in the second to last paragraph of section 21.14) that Vitamin C and Iron will destroy...
  21. D

B12 Tests - any point and what are they?

I'll share what little I know about the tests. The Serum B12 test measures both B12 attached to haptocorrin (HC) (which is mainly only received by the liver) and transcobalamin (TC) (which the rest of the body accepts). It doesn't distinguish between the two, so it can't tell you whether you...
  22. D

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Hi RichVank I thought I'd share my experiences with hydroxycobalamin injections and methyl/adenosylcobalamin sublinguals (taken with Methylfolate and B-Right) in case you find them interesting or you can make any observations. I've suffered from numerous health problems for years...