• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. S

Article Dr. Nina Muirhead: ME Patient and Advocate in the UK

But there is so much we can do for ourselves. Have a look at the free site https://cfsselfhelp.org/pacing-tutorial and see if there are activities that might be suitable for your situation. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
  2. S

Article Dr. Nina Muirhead: ME Patient and Advocate in the UK

I looked at the information on the Nottingham research and decided not toparticipate. It was designed to induce post exertional malaise and 25 minutes of cycling would have certainly done that for me. I declined to participate. I declined to particiate because I can manage and improve my...
  3. S

Comment by 'Suella' in 'I’m very grateful for the online chronic illness community and feel it can and does make a positive contribution'

Thank you dear Tom for all you do for us. It is very much appreciated. I'm part of the moderating team for the free and low cost classes at http://www.cfsselfhelp.org/ Bruce Campbell set this up, supported by Dr. Lapp some 20 years ago. I've benefitted greatly from the information and...
  4. S

Article: The Test: Part I of the Heart Rate Based Exercise Video Series with Dr. Klimas on ME-CFS Co

Early morning pulse rate warning protocol. This is cited from one of the Phoenix Rising sites. Alas I've mislaid the exact site: > "The Key Measure - Perhaps the key activity management tool, however, is something called ‘resting heart rate’, which is measured after you get up in the morning...
  5. S

Living the Half-life of ME/CFS

I too suffer from remaining upright in a stationary position. If I move it seems that that gets the blood supply moving and stops the dizziness. I don't have tachycardia or blood pressure problems standing. If I had to stand in a line (queue) I couldn't. My solution? A wonderful inexpensive...
  6. S

Question to some of the "old timers" and anyone else...

Thomas, Your recovery will be very much influenced by what you do to support your body. I wasn't diagnosed for 3-4 years and in that time managed to push-crash and damage my metabolism. It is very difficult to improve with ME/CFS until you understand all the various phases and factors of the...
  7. S

Acupuncture worse than sham acupuncture for CFS

It sounds like flawed study. Who did they decide to choose and how did they measure the improvements? ME/CFS is so multidimensional and so varied that I feel each of us is on a unique journey towards improvement if not recovery. We all develop the tools that work for us. ME is not just...
  8. S

When do you know you are ready to go back to work (full-time)?

The people I know who have returned to work successfully havedone it very part-time at first. Half day, half days, full day plus half day etc etc. After 6 months one was sure that she could return to work full time as a nurse/in a medical capacity. I understand that our energy budget comes...
  9. S

New xmrv youtube film

Cort, You too are one of our heroes. Your dedicate to discovering and sharing such a range of information has given many of us heart. Bless you! Suella
  10. S

Article: Treatment the UK way - the ME Association's ME/CFS Treatment Survey

I am in the minority here. I found my 6 sessions of CBT to be very helpful. After medical diagnosis, I had CBT on the National Heath Service with a properly certified practitioner as part of a ME clinic in Nottingham, England. It was noted that I was particularly hard on myself, describing my...