• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. S

Comment by 'shoponl' in 'Healing story with labs to prove'

Did you see this? Here's a man with black mold (Cladophialophora bantiana) growing in his brain: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tysonbottenus/black-mold-growing-toxic-brain-vacation
  2. S

Recursive ensemble feature selection provides a robust mRNA expression signature for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome

"Recursive ensemble feature selection provides a robust mRNA expression signature for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome" (Metselaar, Yim, Abarkan, Henneman, Velde, Schönhuth, Bosch, Kraneveld, & Lopez-Rincon, 2021) https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-83660-9 The 23...
  3. S

B12 injections are the bee's knees... wish I would have tried them 15 years ago

Notes on lysosomal storage disorders and B12, mostly for myself... Lysosomes are the cell's recycling crew. Large molecules enter lysosomes, and are disassembled by lysosomal enzymes. People with lysosomal storage disorders (LDs) are missing one of these enzymes, so the large molecules...
  4. S

CLYBL

Itaconate is actually a good player when it comes to fighting infections: https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/lab-report/immune-system-targets-vitamin-b12-pathway-to-neutralize-tuberculosis-bacteria "This new observation could also begin to explain why 3% to 5% of the human population carries a...
  5. S

Another update for my medical mystery: PQQ has increased my energy, so I've tried extending my time between shots. This morning was 11 days since my last B12 injection. However, I've been feeling flat recently. Colors seemed more gray, nothing seemed especially interesting or fun, I felt...
  6. S

Thanks Abha!!!! I will watch it. My positive response to PQQ makes me wonder about mitochondria, although I have tried MitoQ in the past without noticing a big boost.
  7. S

Update: still doing great, fatigue and tingling almost gone. Recently started taking PQQ and Lion's Mane, which has given me a real boost. I've also been able to stretch time between 1mg B12 injections to one week or more. I jogged yesterday and it was like old times. If anyone else is...
  8. S

Cyanobacteria, BMAA, and serine in neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's

I thought about trying l-serine to forestall neurodegenerative disorders.... but upon more research, discovered that many cancer cells depend on serine (and glycine and folate), so now I'm unsure what to do.
  9. S

Cyanobacteria, BMAA, and serine in neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's

Engaging article for general public, covering Dr. Paul Cox's work with BMAA, misfolded proteins, cyanobacteria/blue-green algae, possible disease clusters, and a proposed treatment (serine): https://fortune.com/longform/alzheimers-disease-cure-breakthrough ME/CFS has a mention: "Undeterred, Cox...
  10. S

Dante Labs' Black Friday 2018 sale, WGS for $199

Seven, you can put the data through Promethease for more analysis
  11. S

New Study in CFS-ME Patients: Possible Acquired Immunodeficiency

Have you thought of using a crowdfunding site like Experiment.com to raise funds for your research? https://experiment.com/
  12. S

B12 dosage - sublingual versus transdermal

Have you considered injections? The sublingual absorption rate was too low for me; I switched to self-injecting 1mg hydroxycobalamin every few days (0.33mg/day), and felt immediate relief. Now that my stores have been refilled and my nerve tissue regrown, I've stretched out the time between...
  13. S

Circadian rhythm, gut health, LPS, CD38, NAD+

Came across this n=1 report, thought others might be interested too. The author has a subscription program for gut improvement, but I would think that a motivated/organized person could replicate the basics on their own if money was tight. No supplements needed... just circadian training...
  14. S

It's a whole genome sequence... covers all the genes.
  15. S

IDO2, Autoimmune Issues, and Cancer

Earlier this year, I noticed that activity across all of phoenixrising seemed lower than usual, and genetic discussion was particularly reduced. I searched forums for a few specific usernames, and realized there'd been a change behind the scenes in 2017. Search "Posted by Member" for...
  16. S

Dante's official estimate is 50 business days (10 weeks, 2.5 months), but many people (most?) report 4, 5, or 6 months. The time might depend on whether errors occur and rechecks are needed... or maybe some of the labs (Dante subcontracts the reads) are slower... or maybe some countries have a...
  17. S

If you recently bought the kit, you could try requesting a partial refund... not sure what they would say. I read about someone who received a partial refund because of a very long delay with his kit (6 months I think).
  18. S

23andme is just a quick read (maybe 1x but I'm not sure), but Dante is 30x on average. Also 23andme reports on a selection of SNPs (under 800,000 base pairs) scattered around the genome, but Dante reports on the whole genome (3.2 billion base pairs). One frustrating thing about 23andme is that...
  19. S

There's a bit of imprecision when the alleles are read, so they read the same spot multiple times and see if they get the same thing each time. The more passes they make over the data, the more sure they are of the result. A 4-times read is a quick read; it's fine for getting an idea of what's...
  20. S

Also Veritas Genetics: "Beginning 9 AM ET tomorrow (11/19), myGenome, clinical grade WGS and interpretation, will be available for only $199! (U.S. only) But, it's only for 48 hours or the first 1k orders, so be sure you don't miss out. " VCF file is not included in the $199, but may be...
  21. S

I thought a 30x wgs for $199 is newsworthy. If this violates something though, mods, please delete. There's also the $99 (or free) 4x WGS at nebula.org, with the possibility of 30x someday. It's tricky to know which one to choose... Dante seems run by a tiny office, and reads (30x) have been...
  22. S

https://us.dantelabs.com/blogs/news/dante-labs-black-friday-2018-special
  23. S

Nebula.org--discussion

Note: the first 4 posts in this thread were moved from: Dante Labs - another special offer There's a new company doing sequencing: https://www.nebula.org/ This startup is run by George Church, and combines better privacy protection with the ability to rent your DNA data to researchers.
  24. S

Dante Labs - another special offer

Enlis flagged some SNPs in my 23andme data that I think are miscalls (i.e. out of the almost million SNPs, Enlis zeroed in a couple that were probably mislabeled by 23andme). The Dante Labs data should be more accurate, so you probably won't have that problem. Also I'm not sure how often the...
  25. S

@gumman123 Enlis is a software program with various tools to analyze genetic data. The most useful tool to quickly review a single file is the Phenotype Summary tab, which shows a report of clinically significant SNPs. The software is free to download, so you can practice using it with their...
  26. S

@Moof Perfect, thank you. Must have overlooked that section.
  27. S

Thanks for the sample report! So, basically: you received a link to download a VCF file, a a specially-requested muscle-weakness report, and a note of "no pathogenic mutations"? I was hoping they might supply a more complete report, something like Promethease or Enlis. Enlis accepts VCF...
  28. S

Header on Dante Labs website: "Black Friday Offer is about to come! Stay tuned Nov. 18 2018. Big things are happening!" Halloween sale was 30x for $399... Amazon Prime Day sale was $349. Current prices are: Whole GemomeZ (130x+30x+mtDNA) $999. My Full DNA (30x) $499. Coupon "DAZZLE4RARE"...
  29. S

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5184828/ "Neurologic symptoms as the only manifestation of B12 deficiency in a young patient with normal hematocrit, MCV, peripheral blood smear and homocysteine levels" "...neurologic symptoms may be the sole manifestation of B12 deficiency, not...
  30. S

I am! I just self-injected 1mg hydrocobalamin this morning. So far I've had a half-dozen shots at the doctor's office (5mg methylcobalamin, $35), and ten shots self-injected (1mg hydrocobalamin, $1.50). My energy isn't constant, but I'm able to easily exercise every day, and even jog until...