• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. jeffrez

Immunostimulation in the treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis

N/M - found it on the forum. Please delete, TY.
  2. jeffrez

Gut microbiota affects exercise performance in mice

The implications of this seem pretty clear. J Strength Cond Res. 2014 Aug 20. [Epub ahead of print] Effect of Intestinal Microbiota on Exercise Performance in Mice. Hsu YJ1, Chiu CC, Li YP, Huang WC, Huang YT, Huang CC, Chuang HL. Author information Abstract The antioxidant enzyme system...
  3. jeffrez

New Study: Fasting Renews Immune System

Absolutely, Critterina, you are exactly right about the adrenal/cortisol and liver glucose function relationship. I often wonder, in fact, if fasting itself might contribute to the development of ME/CFS in some susceptible people, just because of the amount of stress it puts on the body and...
  4. jeffrez

New Study: Fasting Renews Immune System

Fasting is a very individual issue and choice, I think, but my own opinion (fwiw) is that it's probably not always the best idea, primarily because of how hard it is on the liver. Without a steady influx of protein, the liver actually slows down detoxification, which is a main reason that people...
  5. jeffrez

"Treatment of central sensitization..."

Omg, I never actually had pain at all -- I was just uneducated about it! I'm so glad these helpful doctors could clear that up for me. I feel so much better already. LOL
  6. jeffrez

Whats your opinion on this guys Chronic Fatigue supplement list...?

That's Teitelbaum, right? Yeah, he pushes D-Ribose, which I don't think is a particularly bad supplement in itself -- maybe one of the better ones, in fact -- but certainly no miracle cure. I don't see much wrong with that simple supplement list, although it's hard to make "one-size-fits-all"...
  7. jeffrez

Healing the brain

Co q-10 + Pyrroloquinoline Quinone (PQQ) Pyrroloquinoline Quinone (PQQ) is a recently discovered compound that is part of the B-vitamin family with potent antioxidant and nerve growth effects. It works as an antioxidant within mitochondria, protecting it from oxidative damage. There are a...
  8. jeffrez

The Insulted Midbrain in CFS

This is so important. Whatever is going on in the immune system, the CSF, the microbiome, etc. the brain malfunction itself is what's really causing symptoms, imho. Not that immune, hormonal and energy metabolic systems are not coming into play. But fundamentally, it's all about the brain. If...
  9. jeffrez

Anyone found that CoQ10 and L-Serine has benefited them?

I definitely have benefited from co q-10, with increased energy and stamina. I use the Jarrow brand most often, 200mg/day.
  10. jeffrez

Ideas on how to boost dopamine?

Selegiline (L-deprenyl) would probably work. It's used in early Parkinson's now to increase dopamine. It inhibits MAO-B, so you might have to be careful mixing it with certain things like SSRIs. Didn't realize this was such an old thread. Well, deprenyl would still probably work if anyone else...
  11. jeffrez

Does anyone know of a good medicine for gastritis?

DGL, slippery elm, marshmallow and calendula are great herbs for the stomach. Zinc carnosine is also excellent, as Thinktank said. Get some pepcid AC or omeprazole if it's more serious. H-pylori test wouldn't be a bad idea, as Radio suggested. GL!! Stomach pain is awful!
  12. jeffrez

Freedom From ME (Documentary)

Psychological treatments aren't going to remove heavy metals or bring down high EBV or HHV titres, unfortunately, just as they won't prevent industrial poisoning or reduce HIV. It's a very strange idea to think they will - I wonder if the people putting out films like that might need...
  13. jeffrez

Freedom From ME (Documentary)

Couldn't watch much more than the first few minutes of obviously scripted "interviews." What are they selling, lol.
  14. jeffrez

Carnitine = more fatigue

Don't forget that carnitine inhibits the entry of thyroid hormone into the cell. If you're getting fatigue reactions from taking it, it could also possibly be causing a transient hypothyroidism.
  15. jeffrez

Adrenal Issues and treatment problems

Great pdf, Beyond, thank you very much. Much of what Bergner says definitely resonates with my experience. Especially interesting to me is the GABA/neurotransmitter connection, and the bit about the testosterone-cortisol axis, as after the crash my sex drive completely crashed, also. It was also...
  16. jeffrez

Bleaching household mold helps breathing

I would try a hydrogen peroxide solution instead of the bleach. H2O2 kills mold, too, and is much safer. Bleach is SUPER toxic!
  17. jeffrez

Adrenal Issues and treatment problems

I was on eleuthero for about 8-9 months, with a few weekend breaks here and there. Felt pretty good on it, and it definitely increased my strength and endurance. But I ran out about 3 months ago and decided to take a longer break, and then I severely crashed after a few days! Swollen glands...
  18. jeffrez

High-Dose Selenium Significantly Improves My Fatigue and Brain Fog

I think you're right, because I took 200 for a really long time, like a year, and I can't say I noticed anything (did I mention that already? Too lazy to go back and look, lol). Trying 300mcg is a great idea, I think I'll do that next week after tomorrow and the weekend on 200.
  19. jeffrez

I took 400mcg for two days, and became too stimulated! So I took a break for a week or so, and am going to try it again at 200mcg for a few weeks, then ramp up to the 400mcg again and see if I tolerate it better. I would be nice to have that increased boost and level of energy again, but have to...
  20. jeffrez

Why does it seem like cfs only started in the last forty years or so?

I think the rise of chemical pollution is the major factor. Undoubtedly infectious causes or triggers are implicated in many cases, but I have to wonder if that would lead to ME if we weren't already neurologically, immunologically, and/or genetically compromised by the increased environmental...
  21. jeffrez

Took 200mcg for about a year, didn't notice anything, but thyroid labs got a little worse. Will try the higher dose for a while, see if it helps. Is there a concern with Se in the water supply perhaps adding to the dose? Or are the levels there usually too small?
  22. jeffrez

What Peter White is teaching Medical Students on CFS via a chapter in a medical textbook

Haha, possibly. I just didn't think it was possible to get less than zero. ;-)
  23. jeffrez

What Peter White is teaching Medical Students on CFS via a chapter in a medical textbook

What a bunch of a**holes. Sorry, but there's really not much else you can say at this point. With so much legitimate scientific evidence of immune/metabolic dysfunction in ME/CFS, not to mention severe disability, these obstinate and arrogant naysayers who ignore the science are really starting...
  24. jeffrez

Strong medicinal herbs that either fight fatigue or boost immunity

Best herbal fatigue fighters are probably the adaptogens - eleuthero, ginseng, schizandra, etc., but you have to be careful and take breaks. Mushrooms like maitake, reishi and shiitake are good immune enhancers. :-)
  25. jeffrez

Potential remedy for CFS/Fibromyalgia (Biotin)

Hey. I never said that biotin lowers cortisol, only that biotin can drive the metabolic pathways in ways that the cell might not be ready or able to handle, much like exercising can drive the aerobic pathways and make you worse, even though exercising might even increase cortisol. Depends on the...
  26. jeffrez

Cognitive Functioning in People With CFS: A Comparison Between Subjective and Objective Measures

:rolleyes: They must have had some pretty dumb controls. Iow, what this abstract is saying is that whatever cognitive problems people with CFS report are "all in their heads," and that any cognitive problems that do actually exist are because of depression. :rolleyes:
  27. jeffrez

Genetic Cures for the Gut

Full story: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=genetic-cures-for-the-gut
  28. jeffrez

"Canary in a Coal Mine" 12/3/13 Decide Who Talks to the Tribeca Film Institute!

Quidditch? Are you kidding me? "Fearless and bold" privileged individuals at UCLA? :rolleyes: I voted CIAC.
  29. jeffrez

Can you run ? Move quickly ?

So fatigued I can't even run my mouth anymore. Some say that's a positive effect, tho. :P
  30. jeffrez

FDA Orders 23andMe to Stop Providing Genetic Analysis.

23andMe vs. The FDA: Is the Government Putting the Kibosh on Innovation? http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/23andme-vs-fda-government-putting-kibosh-innovation-155809600.html