• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. W

CFS/ME and intracellular hypothyroidism

Over a year (thyroid panel was mid January this year) and no, I started the NDT temporarily to see if it had an effect before getting a panel done, due to cost and inconvenience of getting one, and when I tried to stop a few weeks later the "withdrawal" effects were crippling/hell, so I stayed...
  2. W

No, over a year ago I used NDT for a while, with miraculous* effect, but this tapered off and stopped working after several months. *didn't "cure" my ME but did get rid of a load of other issues that had built up over the years and made life much less unpleasant. edit - I stopped taking NDT...
  3. W

But what does a high TTSI actually mean clinically? Yes it's suggested, by, as far as I can tell, only one group of people, that it suggests resistance to thyroid hormones, probably genetically based, but that's all google will tell me. If I inform my NHS GP that a calculation based on my...
  4. W

TTSI = 319, based on last panel, so maybe resistance, but my panel suggested that.
  5. W

Well, fluff a duck, look what Mikey, Trude and Pete spent the PACE £5 million on

Don't most years include a christmas? Okay that's a slight over simplification, most of the last 4.6 billion years haven't included a christmas, but most of those in the last 100 have, and PACE took place in the last 100 years, so......which years that didn't include a christmas are they...
  6. W

@Learner1 Our health system (the NHS) says that if I am overweight, which I am, or diabetic, which I am, then anything below 1000 can be ascribed to that and ignored. Wonderful world we live in eh.... I am aware that 1016 is a bigger number than 1000 lol ETA - thank you for the papers, I will...
  7. W

@Learner1 I am aware and have ordered an iron panel. ATM I am just regarding it as a nonspecific inflammation marker, the chances of it being more than that are apparently only 10%, and the iron panel should give me the info needed to determine that one way or the other. Thank you for your...
  8. W

@BadBadBear No, my only option is to source T3 from abroad (I'm in the UK and our health service doesn't believe T3 is necessary, and that everyone can convert T4 into T3 effectively), and NDT was much easier, and cheaper, to get, given at the time I was simply after a trial to see if it made a...
  9. W

If the NDT was acting to supply T3, when I was taking it several months ago, and that was the reason for the benefits, that presumably indicates I needed more T3, which "should" have raised my TSH. If it stopped working because the T4 in the NDT was converted into enough rT3 to block the...
  10. W

That would be my conclusion if it wasn't that my TSH is so "low" at 3.01, several months after stopping.
  11. W

The NDT stopped doing anything useful unless I took 4-5 capsules a day, and all of my old symptoms came back. As I only started the NDT to see if it did anything, prior to ordering a relatively expensive, and inconvenient, thyroid panel, it was always my intention to discontinue it before...
  12. W

This doesn't match my experience of NDT. Within a few days of starting my pain levels dropped markedly, to such an extent that my routine nightly pain meds (a routine/minimum of 2 30/500 co-codamol and 300mg gabapentin, rising to 8 co-codamol, 600 mg gabapentin and 20-30 oramorph when things...
  13. W

help me figure it out

It just feels different, but, in general, ME symptoms come with less messy stuff, and there is no pre alert of infection from the back of the mouth/throat/tonsils area, so, all things being equal, runny nose is an indication it is viral, but a cough is not.
  14. W

What effect does getting drunk have on you?

I don't get drunk, not for longer than a few minutes anyway (in my teens and 20s I used to drink a lot, apparently inability to get drunk is a side effect of long term alcohol abuse. Oddly I never had dependency issues and could, and did, stop any time I wanted, with no negative effects). I get...
  15. W

PEm severity

Could you do those things before? Mild PEM may not prevent you reaching close to non PEM'd performance, short term, you'll feel like crap but.....But doing so while PEM'd will likely cause escalation of symptoms, continued escalation will eventually result in non functionality. But, unless...
  16. W

''HEAL'' - Trailer and how it relates to our illness

I spent years, and years, thinking I was getting better. Almost every year I thought I had improved upon the last, despite what people were telling me. It took my limits/baseline falling to below the minimum needed to achieve anything, for me to realise that I wasn't, in fact, getting better, I...
  17. W

Anesthesia in plants?

We is both really very very stupid, and incredibly arrogant - always a winning combination when it comes to learning things.
  18. W

We Might Absorb Billions of Viruses Every Day

No wonder I can't lose any weight!! Consume billions of anything, the calorific value must mount up. e.g. an apple a day good for you (well...for most people), 2000 a day on the other hand.......
  19. W

Feel a horrible sensation when watching TV, listening to music and even reading

It's not the same as what I would describe as brain fog, brain fog is almost literally that, it's trying to think inside an increasingly small space, as the space gets smaller and capabilities become outside of the area that can be accessed ( think big room, single dimming light, you can only...
  20. W

Feel a horrible sensation when watching TV, listening to music and even reading

If you don't know what he means from his description you probably haven't experienced it, I got it pretty immediately. I appreciate it's a bit vague, but there are no words for a lot of these sensations - apart from maybe Nuurghhh - but I may have mispelled that, and that word would only fit...
  21. W

Can M.E predispose a once healthy brain to bad hard to treat depression?

No, not my brain anyway. I currently meet a commonly used diagnostic criteria for severe depression, I am not depressed, it's just a lot of the questions are about not doing things which I can't do, because I have ME. Literally as soon as my energy levels improve enough to allow my brain to...
  22. W

What some doctors really think of us

Or battle axes, obviously lightweight robot battle axes, due to our physical limitations and the huge amount of work needed to rectify this unfortunate situation. I'd suggest we have at least 3 teams, one to work on the robot battle axes and one to work on a disease mechanism. With the 3rd team...
  23. W

Calcium Lets T Cells Use Sugar to Multiply & Fight Infection

So I should get with the program and chow down on some bones right now? Milk? Cheese? Calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, fish oil capsules? Oddly, when I was on them, calcium channel blockers helped quite a but, with pain, which made me feel better and allowed me to be a smidge more active...
  24. W

Another "Oh Well" thread.

It looks like I'm off, in the last few minutes I made a post, which suddenly wasn't there, and I'm sure I've noticed others going as well. If they want to play silly buggers then they can play without me. It's been good, most of the time, most of you I think are great, some of you not so much...
  25. W

Mrs Sowester's Magic Beans

It's obvious really, reverse magical thinking, toasters contain lightning, as can be easily demonstrated by turning one on and shoving a metal fork in. Shoving a metal fork in a T1000 doesn't have the same effect, in fact experimental evidence suggests that robots are made out of broken necks...
  26. W

That seems unlikely, a toaster maybe but a robot? Have you any links to alt.fake.science to substantiate that?
  27. W

Well yes, probably, but given they will either kill you (which would make GET pointless) or cure you (in which case NICE would take a dim view of you doing GET and wasting precious NHS resources) there would seem to be no benefit, might as well just have a cuppa instead.
  28. W

Flu vaccine and ME/CFS - MEA info leaflet for 2017 - 2018 vaccine

I do have a tendency of being both random and strange, but sometimes not in that order..