• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. S

UK's Mike Skinner from The Streets had M.E.

Sufjan Stevens had a similar illness in 2009-10. In the interview I read (which I now cannot find) he didn't mention 'CFS' but the symptoms appeared similar and I seem to recall it was viral onset too. (the reference to Sufjan will no doubt highlight any generational gap on the forums ;)
  2. S

GIll/Alter/Lo Powerpoint Presentations "Is there a Virus"

This thread is highly confusing and, it seems, unneccessarily concerning. May I suggest that if, as appears the case, the initial posts reflect a misinterpretation of the slides (or their authorship), the thread be edited/closed?
  3. S

Top Brains Gather to Fight CFS in Australia - Focus on Neuroimmunology

Does anybody know why Mr Kerr 'lost his job'? Does he have a new position?
  4. S

Gearing Up for the Big Search for XMRV - WSJ Article

I agree. As with many others, my CFS started with a severe bout of glandular fever that was confirmed by blood tests.
  5. S

Dr Esther Crawley: Transcript of Presentation: The Future of Research in CFS/ME

Can someone please explain why the population wide genome study is not a good idea?
  6. S

A review of EVB and CFS by Dr. A Martin Lerner

Very interesting post. As an aside, I am surprised that Mr L excludes those who have a point score above 5 from his diagnosis of CFS. Anyone who fits the CFS diagnostic criteria and can muster no more than "Daily naps in bed, a 40 hour sedentary work week (maybe) plus light, limited...
  7. S

NEW - FDA Website Q&A on XMRV, MLV's & Alter/Lo PNAS Study outcomes

True, but sample selection cannot account for the different results in healthy controls. Perhaps this can be explained by the small sample size. But still, given the prevalence reported in the positive studies, the odds would be against the CDC selecting 100+ people (patients and controls)...
  8. S

Report on the WPI community open house. Aug. 21, 2010

Thanks for the great report, Rich :)
  9. S

What are RECOMMENDED antibiotics for excessive H2S and bacterial infections?

My doctor works with KDM (and through him I had the privelege of meeting the man himself). I was prescribed Ampicillin and Erythromicin in response to tests that elevated entercoccus and streptococcus.
  10. S

Telegraph newspaper article on potential Autism test

In other autism news... I saw this in my local newspaper the West Australian (known locally as the 'Worst Australian') and thought it may be of interest: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/7380434/new-gene-find-for-autism/ The world's biggest DNA scan for autism has uncovered new...
  11. S

Mar 4 2010 Severity of symptom flare after moderate exercise is linked to cytokine

the link between inflammatory cytokine activity and mitochondrial disfunction was discussed in David Bell's 2007 (the title of which is far too long for me type!). Bell argues that infections induce the production of nitric oxide, which then, via a complicated process that I don't recall...
  12. S

high D-lactate on urine test

Hello Liz.. from one newbie to another (my first post too) I am only a layman but I discussed these issues with my doc after tests indicated I have gut dysbiosis, and have done a bit of reading online. From what I can gather, D-lactate, dysbiosis and glucose/fructose are intimately connected in...