• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. I

Authors of Our Own Misfortune: The Problems with Psychogenic Explanations for Physical Illnesses

PERMISSION TO REPOST Excerpt from chapter 6 of Authors of our own Misfortune? The Problems with Psychogenic Explanations for Physical Illnesses by Angela Kennedy, published by the Village Digital Press. This is also available as a PDF file here...
  2. I

Sunday Times: Feature Article expected soon

I have posted the following as it is of interest. Ian My (Angela Kennedy) email correspondence with Journalist Michael Hanlon regarding a proposed Sunday Times article PERMISSION TO REPOST Angela Kennedy 6th February 2013 I have today seen comments made by Charles Shepherd on the ME...
  3. I

Why few dare tackle the psychology of ME

Problem is you are doing the equivalent of blaming Halfords for selling Andrew Mitchell a bike. There is only one person at fault here and that is Pemberton for writing such an inaccurate rubbish article. We are about to extradite a man to the US for not conveying accuracy or reason.
  4. I

Why few dare tackle the psychology of ME

I hope people do question the truth of these claims and let’s see the extent of the evidence. We all have access to a crime prevention officer and are all able to gain a high alert rapid response just by dialling 999. You would think reading this rubbish that there was an ME equivalent of a...
  5. I

Authors of Our Own Misfortune: The Problems with Psychogenic Explanations for Physical Illnesses

Angela Kennedy also writes from the position of being a carer for her daughter who has ME. So can relate to aspects she writes about.
  6. I

Firestorm I would be happy to purchase a copy for you. In fact if anyone else in the UK is in the same position I am willing to do the same. I have enough to buy five copies so it would have to be on a first come first served basis. Contact me at iantmclachlan at hotmail dot co dot uk...
  7. I

Agree. The Bronte sisters first self published. Imagine if they had given up and accepted the constraints of their time.
  8. I

i understand there is some confusion regarding this thread. I am not Angela kennedy posting as someone called Ian McLachlan . I am Ian McLachlan. I live in the UK and always use my own name. I don't post too often although I do read various threads from this list, manily of late those related to...
  9. I

Quote from Angela Kennedy: "My book Authors of Our Own Misfortune: The Problems with Psychogenic Explanations for Physical Illnesses has been published! It is available on Amazon.co.uk below. It will also be available under a different ISBN on Amazon.com next week, and through various other...
  10. I

Today's article in the Observer.........UK police and Wessely consider us 'dangerous!

Not fogetting the lack of safeguards being in place to be able to alert and protect. Not just one man at fault here: it's a complete systematic failure.
  11. I

Interview with Professor Simon Wessely (The Times (UK), August 6) - needs replies

No, medicines lack of ability to adequately regulate itself did.
  12. I

IMEA-New M.E. Association

I think the failure is the other way round in that people should have accepted the term CFS as being what they had, and then argued that it was in fact what we Brits call ME. Problem is no lead was taken at representative level to sell it to the community in such a way that they could have...
  13. I

The only thing that is remote is the lack of a decent challenge from organisations set up to represent us. Compared to their poor effort criteria doesn't even register.
  14. I

I think you make a good point. It is not as though GPs are arguing that they cannot diagnose our condition. It fact they are more than happy to guess and send a mixed group on to the clinics resulting in the government claiming in the past that five different codes could be used to describe...
  15. I

Does XMRV cause ME?

<So simply stated, and oh so true! Thanks fla!> It is not quite that simple especially when in a representative position which by its very nature spans a political and medical boundary.
  16. I

MEA requests meeting with Science Media Centre on PACE trial

If they say they are not prepared to accept that they were censoring information and that there is not a need to widen the range of medical opinion? Have the MEA said what they will do next? Can for example we expect a robust campaign from them? I doubt it.
  17. I

Letter in The Times re ME and NHS reforms

The fact that a parliamentary group is writing to a newspaper is a clear indication that they recognise they have little if any influence - something we can at least be grateful for. Why write otherwise?
  18. I

Another Stupid Study from the UK

But then why are people who can donate not doing so? We often refer to ourselves as a community but apart from being united in wanted a cure, that is the only area that I can think of that we are really united on, yet still large sums are not being given over and it seems to be that the main...
  19. I

Scotland Herald - Why we need to start treating ME much more seriously

I would agree if it were 2003, but we are seven years on and it is too little and too late in the day. If we had had a real commitment from groups such as MERUK at the point in which clinics were being set up in England, Scotland would have been able to have easily followed suit. As it is with...
  20. I

Canadian Consensus Criteria for CFS/ME

Time will tell but I would be surprised if there is any ackowledement that a division has taken place. That is the concern because CFS I think will always be what they said it was, and XMRV +ve will be a group that whilsts it has been caught up within the CFS cohort is not and never was CFS...
  21. I

Dr. Komaroff say's CFIDS/ME is neurological.

Dr. Komaroff say's CFIDS/ME is neurological Even if we took a very simplistic view on this, people do get progressively worse because the ageing process also takes its toll.
  22. I

PACE Participants' Newsletter and more

My major beef is that post exertional malaise is not necessary for diagnosis. Why is White so uptight about the Canadian criteria? Is there such response to exercise anyway? Yes we feel worse after exercise, but to suggest that it leseens over a period of one to two days does reduce down to...
  23. I

Please post here if you're a medic who thinks CFS is primarily psychological!

I agree Angela. It is dagnerous for all. We have seen examples in the past (such as the RSM conference) in which professional people have used such things as angry letters they have recieved from the ME community, and rather than acknowledge and undertsand as to why people feeling so...