• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. L

Best Heavy Metal/Copper Urine Test

A provoked urine test is when a person is given a chelating agent, oral or often IV, at the start of the 24 hr. urine collection period.
  2. L

Views on B12--Greg (B12 oils) view vs Rich Van's view--Thoughts?

GhostGum, I don't think I've ever read of anyone commenting on the differences between baby and mature leaves of raw greens. PeterPositive, Is it possible you were reacting to the adenosylcobalamin in the B12oil? Except for the very first time I took adenoB12, I've never felt a reaction...
  3. L

Views on B12--Greg (B12 oils) view vs Rich Van's view--Thoughts?

I have corresponded with Greg a number of times over the last 3 years and have great respect for his knowledge. When his positions are counter to what is accepted in this community, he has scientific justification. As a PhD biochemist, I imagine his knowledge base in biochemistry exceeds even...
  4. L

High B12 + high igA levels CFS?

Low MMA means you have good levels of adenosylcobalamin.
  5. L

High B12 + high igA levels CFS?

A high MMA is an indication of low B12.
  6. L

Transdermal B12 oils

Lena, I know nothing about getting off of Effexor or why you've been advised to not start methyl B12 until you're off of it. I would say my low motivation was/is conflated with depression. My OAT tests show very low dopamine and low serotonin. But hard to attribute causation. Having a...
  7. L

Transdermal B12 oils

Lena, I am homozygous 1298C and also have some other snps which have been shown to interfere with B12 metabolism. When I did the Spectracell test, the only nutrient I was deficient in was B12, in addition to low overall antioxidation function. I do not have CFS and have not experienced the...
  8. L

Transdermal B12 oils

This is an update on the impact of transdermal B12 oil (adeno/methylB12) on my MMA (methylmalonic acid) levels. I started using sublingual MB12 after I tested deficient in B12 in 2008 on a Spectracell Micronutrient test. I've been using the B12oils product since June 2013. On 11/4/14, after...
  9. L

Methylation Panel Result - What in Yasko’s All-In-One made me feel good?

Valentijn, What is the degree of impact of heterozygous MTRR genes? Do you know of any measures a person could take to boost their glutathione conjugate functionality if a person was homozygous (+/+) for glutathione transferase genes (in my case, GG for GSTP1)?
  10. L

Anybody with ME/CFS also positive for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency?

Sea, So on a 23andMe report on rs7255464, or any other x-linked gene, would 23andMe report just one allele for males? And if they do report two alleles, where does the second one come from, if there aren't any on the Y chromosome? Since Clairemont reports GG, does that make Clairemont a...
  11. L

Anybody with ME/CFS also positive for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency?

Sea, I believe Clairemont is asking if a male G/A for rs7255464 would suffer pathogenic consequences from having heterozygous alleles for G6PD. And similarly, what consequences would a female homozygous for A/A experience? If a male was reported as having an A allele, or a female was reported...
  12. L

Clairemont, When you said rs72554664 GG was a common clinvar, what came to my mind was that rs72554664 is listed on the ClinVar web site as a pathogenic allele - see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/clinvar/variation/100059/. However, it is the AA allele that is the gene mutation and pathogenic...
  13. L

Help needed - B12 Binding Capacity test result

pg600rr, Maybe you can glean some nuggets from the references given in this article by LabCorp about their UBBC test. I had some journal references in my files that might interest you. And maybe not, because I'm doubtful any of them seem to address TCII deficiency...
  14. L

pg600rr, I hope you'll update here if you learn anything more.
  15. L

Clairemont, It's still possible that you might have some other G6PD snp that is a minor allele and would be pathogenic. When you say rs72554664 GG is a common clinvar, I'm not sure what a clinvar is. Based on the percentages dbSNP gives, I would say CC is the wild snp for that rs#. Did the...
  16. L

Sea, Thank you for your corrections. I hesitated in writing those terms, and my bad memory and incomplete understanding won out.
  17. L

Clairemont, Whoever created that template on Livewello got it backwards. If you look at the comments at Livewello for G6PD, FO4547 commented there 5 months ago that the template had the minor alleles reversed. dbSNP is an authoritative source. Any template at Livewello - needs to be...
  18. L

pg600r, I've done some reading on the B12 unsaturated binding capacity. According to a book excerpt quoted at this website, "Measurement of unsaturated B12 binding capacity is rarely undertaken and is only available in reference laboratories. (Details of the method were given in the 9th...
  19. L

Claremont, JamieS has posted a 6-part series on the Community Blog about snps and 23andMe and ME/CFS. Go here for the start of the series.
  20. L

Clairemont, Regarding my second reference, scroll down as far as you can on that screen. You'll seen a heading with a purple background that says: "Population Diversity (Alleles in RefSNP orientation). See additional population frequency from 1000Genome...". Underneath that is another heading...
  21. L

According to http://omim.org/entry/305900#0029, the A (= T) is the risky version of rs72554664. So having a C allele for this snp means you don't have the bad version. They list a number of other snps associated with G6PD deficiency, but they don't list your first two, rs35972742 and...
  22. L

pg600rr, If your symptoms point to B12 deficiency issues, then I would trust that more than a serum B12 test. Your low B12 binding capacity probably means your B12 is mostly in the inactive form, but I don't know enough about that test to really comment. Freddd has previously cited a study...
  23. L

This may be a little out of the box, but .....

Lin, If you're looking for a test to indicate what is wrong with you, you should consider the Methylation Pathways test from Health Diagnostics Lab. It's a functional test, not a genetic test. Richvank was a big proponent of this test. See his 9/21/12 post about it here. Since you are +/+...
  24. L

pg600rr, The B12 serum test is kind of a garbage test. It measures both active and inactive B12 - I think those are transcobolamin and haptocorrin, respectively. Hydroxy B12 still needs to get converted to methyl B12 for your body to use it. Hydroxy might be "safer", but it might also be...
  25. L

R-lipoic acid or n-acetyl cysteine: which of these just messed me up?

Paul_K, Glad you got rid of your amalgams years ago. Reading your comment, I wasn't positive if that was the case, but wanted to caution in case it wasn't. You probably also know that Cutler doesn't like chlorella because it doesn't have two thiol molecules to grab firmly on to the mercury and...
  26. L

Freddd, I'm glad you were able to get out of that model home before you got committed to buying one. Your house-hunting story reminds me of when I lived in Mesa, Az. in the 1970's and my husband and I were shopping around for a new mobile home. I would walk into some of the model units and...
  27. L

Lin, I hope you aren't eating or drinking anything with aspartame, which produces formaldehyde in the body after it's consumed. The major conjugation reactions are glucuronidation, glutathione conjugation, amino acid conjugation, sulfation, acetylation, and methylation. Near-infrared saunas...
  28. L

Lin, I think your understanding of the mentioned genes is mostly correct. COMT metabolizes catecholamines, which includes epinephrine, norepinephrine, and dopamine. I've not ever seen serotonin mentioned as being a catecholamine. You say you're homo or hetero for all 5 of your MMAHC snps...
  29. L

R-lipoic acid or n-acetyl cysteine: which of these just messed me up?

Paul K, In your reading of Cutler, you should also have picked up that he doesn't recommend anyone take the recommended chelating agents (DMPS, DMSA, ALA) unless they've had all amalgam fillings removed. And he further recommends that ALA not be taken until a person has been taking DMPS or...
  30. L

Lin, Which SNPs make you think you're not making glutathione? I am +/+ for GSTP1 I105V rs1695, and from what I've read about GSTP1 snps, they don't impair the ability to make glutathione, but rather they impair the ability of glutathione to conjugate or bind with toxins and then excrete them...