• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. triffid113

Elevated uric acid

So I was just reading about acetic acid (vinegar), wondering if it would help with too much ammonia (because sodium acetate apparently helps, and I wouldn't take that due to high blood pressure). I found that acetic acid is full of all kinds of necessary Kreb/TCA cycle substances, such as malic...
  2. triffid113

Supplementing Manganese might unblock the Urea Cycle?

Sorry, I got pretty interested in the new stuff I found about high ammonia...all a digression. Take care. You are a pioneer in ornithine management here. Report back when you figure it out. I said "when" with faith in both you and the fast pace of science.
  3. triffid113

So, being male, your problem is peeing too much, especially at night? It usually is from an enlarged prostate which happens to some huge percentage (90%) of men over time. Supposedly saw palmetto helps that, over a loooong time. I believe it's a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor. Which means it keeps...
  4. triffid113

Found this: What is the relationship between the citric acid [TCA/Kreb] cycle and the urea cycle? The urea cycle is closely linked to the citric acid cycle deriving one of its nitrogens through transamination of oxalacetate to form asparate and returns fumarate to that cycle. . . . . So...
  5. triffid113

Huh. I find that high ammonia can also disturb the Kreb/TCA cycle and lower energy. Another way to CFS/FM symptoms: Ammonia inhibits α-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase or oxoglutarate dehydrogenase, and the depletion of carboxylic acids, which are used for glutamine synthesis, paralyzes the Krebs...
  6. triffid113

So do we know if you can get high ammonia from a high protein diet, regardless of if you have the gene making it hard to excrete ammonia? (Do you eat a high protein diet?). I also read that gut bacteria can produce amminia. I recommend, and take, a supplement from Life Extension called GI With...
  7. triffid113

Elevated uric acid

Oh, I found DHEA also would help maintain my blood sugar as I got older (over 40), as would Rhodiola. idk why. I am sure the calcium approach is what is needed and the DHEA just helps your body withstand stress - thus a bandaid...but I have been using that bandaid for 15 years now and I'm afraid...
  8. triffid113

Elevated uric acid

Oh...so now that I read that insulin production is mediated by calcium...I can clearly see why my family was all diabetic. We have a genetic D receptor defect so, until this was known, we could never absorb enough calcium. I take 50g/week of D.
  9. triffid113

Elevated uric acid

I have had hypoglycemia my whole life. Studies in the 1930's reported by Adele Davis, PhD, in Let's Get Well, showed that eating 20g. of protein at breakfast would protect study subjects from hypoglycemia even after lunch (that 2pm slump). However, study subjects in the 1930s generally ate less...
  10. triffid113

Olive Leaf Extract

Ok, I looked up studies but could find none that proved or suggested that olive leaf extract (OLE) lowered stomach acid. I also remembered the original reason I started using it was because I ALREADY HAD low stomach acid and I was looking for something that would kills germs and bacteria that...
  11. triffid113

Olive Leaf Extract

I have taken 1g olive leaf extract /day for 25 years. I have genetic high blood pressure (totally broken ACE gene). OLE is an ace inhibitor and I can feel it relax my blood vessels. It is such a relief that I will never be without it. I have stage 3 hypertension...it takes my b.p. down...
  12. triffid113

Elevated uric acid

I should add something else about me, unlike others perhaps. I rarely eat fruit. Lifelong. My family was diabetic and I saw fruit as primarily sugar. I watched relatives eat all kinds of sugary things fooling themselves that because they weren't dessert, it didn't count. But it did, and I had...
  13. triffid113

Elevated uric acid

Hm, I got a message that said I was quoted here? I want to say this: gout is very heavily on the rise due to high fructose corn syrup being put in everything. Yes, it can be genetic, just like hypertension, but the majority of people are getting it due to our high fructose diets. Sugar is some...
  14. triffid113

Would You Treat Low Cortisol or Thyroid First??

Your thyroid is close enough to normal (should e TSH < 2.0, see Lifeextension.com) and I'm not sure how significant your cortisol differences are - maybe a coffee in the morning, or, life extension says mint improves alertness. You might look into your dopamine levels, since dopamine governs...
  15. triffid113

Tight Belt around my Rib Cage

I have pain in a band around my rib cage sporadically and feel that it is inflammation around my heart due to high blood pressure. I have genetic high blood pressure which used to only manifest during pms due to hormone swing. I take calcium magnesium citrate, which helps tremendously, and is no...
  16. triffid113

Ornithine low? urea cycle?

Ornithine is a naturally occurring amino acid found in meat, fish, dairy and eggs. Do you eat enough of these? I have a problem excretion ammonia - it's a genetic problem. Thus, I was told I had to limit protein consumption..So I tested my ammonia levels after eating various amounts of protein...
  17. triffid113

Rhodiola Rosea - Mito Protectorant, neuro protectorant

So I searched this website and found Nord wolf takes 12mg asraxanthin and he still sounds pretty bad. He does not take zinc except as in his multi. I think of this because despite tgat all these carotenoid are for the eyes, my father went blind and none if these carotenoid ir ocuvite things...
  18. triffid113

Long time ago I read Martin Pall wrote that cfs was due to a peroxynitrate (oxidant) problem. I am only on a cell phone, it's late, etc. But there are some papers out there about what happens when you.pit astaxanthin against petoxynitrate. I'm afraid it required more reading than I'm up fo now...
  19. triffid113

A treatment that helps me tremendously

Long time ago I read Martin Pall wrote that cfs was due to a peroxynitrate (oxidant) problem. I am only on a cell phone, it's late, etc. But there are some papers out there about what happens when you.pit astaxantjin against petoxynitrate. I'm afraid it required more reading than I'm up fo now...
  20. triffid113

Vitamin K2 is required to put calcium in your bones. If you do not take it as a supplement (or via national cheese) calcium will go into your arteries. This is called hardening of the arteries. There is not enough K2 in the American diet. Hence, always take k with your d and calcium. Not really...
  21. triffid113

Has anyone tried astaxanthin? I read it protects mitochondria and lowers fatigue. Sounds like a useful thing for cfs. Also, although it is 3000x as powerful an antioxidant as VitaminC, it can never become a pro oxidant. Lastly of interest - it works inside AND outside the cell wall. (C only...
  22. triffid113

I wonder if it needs something else to work. By age 59.it no longer worked for me either. I have always taken a lot of antioxidants...I prioritize them #1 among my supplements. I have recently added astaxanthin to my regime because it's antioxidant power is 3000x Vitamin C and maybe 53x that...
  23. triffid113

New foods or fumes allergies post Covid infection?

On another thread someone said spironolactone helped their mild CFS. It looks like spironolactone does something funky with zinc...maybe spares it in some cases? Which would help thyroid and adrenal function. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1385/BTER:114:1:135
  24. triffid113

Developing autoimmune reactions to foods

I occasionally have brain fog, but not generally. I thus have little experience with it. However, my belief is that it is caused (1) if your thyroid is not right (TSH in range 1.0-2.0) or (2) if you do not make enough dopamine... which can be from a number of reasons, including not enough of...
  25. triffid113

Well, it takes a long time (a month or so) to see if any zinc changes work. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help. I think peas are high in glutamine...so also eating Beyond Burgers with pea protein. I think they're great but my sister thinks they're not that healthy. And...I get some acetic...
  26. triffid113

Did you check your Vitamin D levels and your urinary ph? (Without adequate D you cann't balance your urinary ph, and it will irritate you). Something to check if you have not. Another angle is - how you considered trying bioidentical hormone replacement? I ask because lack of sufficient...
  27. triffid113

Developing autoimmune reactions to foods

Some things to think about regarding zinc: it is used to make thyroid hormone and an adrenal hormone (at least one), so if you have allergies, you will wear out your thyroid and adrenal hormones and need to make more - thus consume more zinc. If you eat a lot of carbohydrates or sugars, you will...
  28. triffid113

have tested my thyroid function several times as almost all doctors I went to wanted to see for themselves things like TSH, T3, FT4. Never have they found any problem there. TSH should be between 1 and 2. Your lab will say it's normal at 5.5, but science says otherwise. Search...
  29. triffid113

Thanks for this info on quercetin - zinc interaction!
  30. triffid113

in germany one of the few products is curazink , https://www.curazink.de/ they use Zink-Histidin-Dihydrat. Thank You! I am currently trying zinc carnosine, but when that's gone I would be happy to try this!