• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Gary1001

Antibiotics and MCAD

Good to hear. My options are doxycycline or azithromycin, which both sound manageable.
  2. Gary1001

Antibiotics and MCAD

So, I need to take antibiotics for an infection. Does anyone know which antibiotics are safest with a mast cell activation disorder? My GP isn't clear.
  3. Gary1001

Sourcing USP grade minerals

Taking supplements has been a bit of a nightmare. I recently found out I have a Mast Cell Disorder which explains when it is flaring up, I cannot tolerate additives and expedience. I am curious of anyone has ended up sourcing supplements from a compounding pharmacy and making their own multi.
  4. Gary1001

Steps to address pesticides & VOC

So I just moved into a new rental property. It is in good condition and only 2 years old, however, the prior tent had "flea treatment" done and I'm having a terrible reaction. I also believe the carpet may be off gassing as it has strong smell. Do anyone have any practical tips to speed the...
  5. Gary1001

Iodine verses iodide

You dose as you would any other oral iodine. From my personal experience, I have notice a large difference between elemental iodine supplements verse bonded iodine such as potassium iodide. " Different tissue responses for iodine and iodide in rat thyroid and mammary glands. Eskin BA1...
  6. Gary1001

Iodine verses iodide

I recently changed from using Lugol's iodine to just potassium iodide. I noticed quite a large positive difference. I could only tolerate small amounts of Lugol's before an adrenaline rush. While with iodide I can take larger amounts (15mg) with positive results such as temperature and more...
  7. Gary1001

Lugols Iodine

I guess that is right. I actually thought the listed amount of iodine was just from potassium iodide. But it's from two different sources. Thanks.
  8. Gary1001

Lugols Iodine

Is lugols iodine just potassium iodide? The label is vague.
  9. Gary1001

Alternative to Yasko's All in One multivitamin

The best alternative I've found is a multi by seeking health - https://www.amazon.com/Multivitamin-Vegetables-Bioflavonoids-Seeking-Health/dp/B004DSBQZS. What I've ended up doing is mixing the two. There is still something in the Yasko one my body responds to. Neither are cheap however.
  10. Gary1001

I have been trying other options with generally good results but too early to say. http://www.seekinghealth.com/optimal-multivitamin-240-vegetarian-capsules.html and http://www.pureencapsulations.com/products/shop-by-product-category/multivitamins/athletic-nutrients.html My impression is...
  11. Gary1001

I've been taking Yasko's All in One multi for a year or so now (http://www.holisticheal.com/all-in-one-multi-vitamin-mineral-120-capsules.html) Initially, with good results. Over the last few months I may have started reacting to the high amount of preformed Vit A. This was most likely due to...
  12. Gary1001

What happened to the prices at iHerb???!

For those interested, iHerb just drop the volume and VIP discounts. A few months back you could get 12% for orders over $200, now it is completely removed. International shipping rates have also increased.
  13. Gary1001

Oxymatrine question on dosing.

Its an old thread, but.... Can some recommenced a source for Oxymatrine? Google certainly has a number of results but you can never really tell about quality.
  14. Gary1001

Vitamin A Reaction

Has anyone treated a Vitamin A deficiency? I should have mentioned I had severe malabsorption for 2 years due a gastro infection losing 25kgs and becoming very underweight. Given I'm having such a strong reaction makes me think I maybe deficient.
  15. Gary1001

Vitamin A Reaction

Thanks for the reply. That's a miss print. The multi only has 500IU, not 5000IU. While vitamin A toxicity is a risk (as is any supplement), this amount would be extremely unlikely. For example 68g of cooked Liver has over 20,000IU. Also, just because it is fat soluble doesn't make it harmful...
  16. Gary1001

Vitamin A Reaction

I decided to try supplementing Vit A after reading about its anti-viral proprieties. I take a multi which already contains 5000UI. I seem to be getting a strong reaction. I've taking an additional 25,00UI two days in a row and each time, about an hour later I have strong flu like symptoms and...
  17. Gary1001

Equilibrant pulsing

I might just lower the dose and see what happens. I'll also look into Inosine. Googling oxymatrine sources seems to net the same problem as with most supplements. The quality standards are not clear. If anyone has long term experience with a certain source, I'd be keen to hear about it.
  18. Gary1001

Equilibrant pulsing

Hi All, In terms of duration, does anyone know what the optimal approach is? I have been taking 6 tablets for 3 months with some benefit however, cost is a factor. I was considering letting it lapse for a few months and trying again later. Can you pulse to reduce cost or does resistance occur?
  19. Gary1001

How to actually test for mineral levels

I've read about this issue but really don't feel it is clear. Having the correct ratio or minerals is key, and given a history of malabsorption I would really like to assess my present state. I guess the options are: Blood test Red Cell blood test Hair Urine 24 Urine. Any thoughts on this topic?
  20. Gary1001

Experience with UVB Lamp for raising vitamin D

I'm quite interested in this approach as well. Dr Terry Wahls advocates using sun light or narrow band UVB to boost D levels oppose to supplements. The reasoning is vitamin D is actually a hormone that your body is very sensitive too. Supplements are difficult to utilise and may boost levels...
  21. Gary1001

Insurance and proving capability

Hi All, I’m looking for advice from those in a similar situation. This is a tricky topic and every situation is different with its own set of challenges however, there maybe some aspects that members have learnt by experience. Simply put, I am entitled to what is called income protection...
  22. Gary1001

Holistic Health Methyl B12

These are the type I'm referring: http://www.holisticheal.com/hydroxy-b12-mega-drops.html
  23. Gary1001

Holistic Health Methyl B12

A question to anyone using the B12 drop from Holistic Health. Have you figured out a way to stop it bubbling and sticking to the cap? I swear I waste 1/2 of if just from it gunking up at the nozzle.
  24. Gary1001

Mineral complex supplement

I've been looking for a mineral complex for a while, most seem to cause GI problems. Has anyone tried this one? http://www.holisticheal.com/ultra-minerals.html
  25. Gary1001

Adenosyl b12 only

Does the methylation support require more than just Adenosyl B12?
  26. Gary1001

Niacin & Methylation

I currently take 100mg of Niacin three times a day. It seems to have a calming effect which I like. I'm adding methylation related supplements based on my test results from yasko. There seems to be some hint that niacin renders methyl donors ineffective...
  27. Gary1001

VDR Taq mutation and vitamin D

Thanks Wally. I really found her theory that sleep is the period where we reproduce neurotransmitters and other chemicals. Once these substances run out, out bodies get tired and we sleep again. She links chronic disease to disrupted sleep (or recovery phase) due to breathing problems during...
  28. Gary1001

Dr Gominak was very specific that the range needed to be 60-80 (not sure was the unit of measurement is but the stand D3 bloods). It was interesting, she mentioned getting excited and treating herself and patients with high D3 and exacerbating the situation. She even seemed to imply a D3 reading...
  29. Gary1001

Very interesting. Sublingually, I didn't think of that. It makes sense, this is the way I that B12 and melatonin.
  30. Gary1001

Hi, I have a homogeneous mutilation for the VDR Taq (TT) and hetro for VDR Folk (Ff). I’ve been researching the effects of Vitamin D and are quite amazed at its importance especially in restorative sleep (work shown by Dr Stasha Gominak). For those that have an inhibited Vitamin D receptor...