• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. subtr4ct

XMRV & AMPLIGEN, Hunter-Hopkins ME-letter March 2011

If that info was taken down for those reasons elsewhere, perhaps this forum should provide the same courtesy to the researchers.
  2. subtr4ct

VIP Dx/WPI Serology (Antibody) Test Results

** If you are in the serology re-testing program (for previous culture negatives) call VIP to check on your results ** I have called and discovered that my wife's results were available 2 months ago, and VIP did not transmit them to us even though we sent in the fax release to have the...
  3. subtr4ct

How long does it take to get the results from the culture test?

Hi redo, My wife and daughter sent samples that VIP would have received on May 6. I called them just now (today is the first day of the sixth week), and was told that their tests are now in the "quality review" stage and should be available early next week. Assuming that turns out to be true...
  4. subtr4ct

VIP Dx MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT on Jun 1 !

I wonder if this implies that they will not be applying the new test to previously submitted samples as was expected/hoped earlier?
  5. subtr4ct

VIPDx announced that the new serology test will be available shortly.
  6. subtr4ct

WPI Facebook page says this about tommorrow

I think what Adam is saying is that the XMRV "top kill" planned by BP* has failed. *BP = British Psychiatrists
  7. subtr4ct

Maybe it wasn't a coincidence about the website
  8. subtr4ct

Klimas London presentation, CD26/DPPIV impaired in CFS - retroviral involvement?

Mrs. subtr4ct has been using Kirkman's DPP-IV enzymes for a couple of years. No appreciable improvement in dysauutonomia (POTS; malfunctioning enteric nervous function as revealed by elctrogastrogram).
  9. subtr4ct

Judy Mikovits and David Kirby to speak at Autism Conference

Hi. Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I had a couple of random thoughts about XMRV and autism that want out of my head. 1) It is interesting that a) prevalence of XMRV in the general population seems like it may be around 4%; b) I seem to remember hearing that the probability of the...
  10. subtr4ct

CDC replication study delayed in order to prepare a press release?!

re: the possibility of a new test being available very soon -- I notice that the vipdx website has been gone for couple of days now. There is an (automatically generated?) link farm/domain sales type page there currently. Easily could be just a coincidece
  11. subtr4ct

Acutely transforming RV expressing Nras generated by XMRV-infected fibrosarcoma cells

Link. Acutely transforming retrovirus expressing Nras generated from HT-1080 fibrosarcoma cells infected with XMRV. Metzger MJ, Miller AD. Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, Washington 98109-1024, USA. Abstract Virus from HT-1080 fibrosarcoma...
  12. subtr4ct

MIKOVITS PODCAST SATURDAY!!! AutismOne on XMRV

Autism activists tend to be, well, active. I'm sure that we will get one or more blogged accounts of what she presents even if we don't get actual audio or video.
  13. subtr4ct

Starting Raltegravir

Just a word of caution: Dr. Deckoff-Jones wrote that she "received a couple of reports of people who had started raltegravir alone and became suddenly worse." Thanks very much for sharing. Lets hope that those anecdotes will not turn out to be typical -- best of luck!
  14. subtr4ct

Video clip of Q&A at Peterson/de Meirleir presentation 26 May

I have been wondering a lot about this -- does anyone have any vaguely authoritative reference or even hint about what the false negative rate for the VIPDx culture test might be? Based on what was revealed by WPI post-Science, (see discussion here), it seems like the WPI false negative rate...
  15. subtr4ct

A Natural Human Retrovirus Efficiently Complements Vectors Based on MuLV

Freely available: Link. Beihua Dong1, Robert H. Silverman1, Eugene S. Kandel2* 1 Department of Cancer Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, United States of America, 2 Department of Molecular Genetics and Virology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic...
  16. subtr4ct

Klimas London presentation, CD26/DPPIV impaired in CFS - retroviral involvement?

Any more details? Porphyrins are a complicated subject, and another contentious issue in autism research. Edit: Oh -- I see that perforin is a protein related to immune cells. So much that I don't know... Any way that biomedical effects can run across near-homonyms? :Retro smile:
  17. subtr4ct

Mrs. subtr4ct has been using digestive enzymes with DPP-IV (Kirkman's brand) for 1.5 or 2 years now. Our impression is that they help a little; they certainly do not work miracles, though. Note that her illness seems predominantly neurological rather than predominantly immune-related. She has...
  18. subtr4ct

JillBohr: I saw that, too, and it's a good question. I expect that this research is riddled with technical issues every bit as complicated as WPI vs. UK/Netherlands XRMV research (note that "this study failed to replicate the findings of others" replicate? validate?). A few of-the-cuff...
  19. subtr4ct

Interesting! I don't have a reference handy, but DPPIV is believed to be impaired in autism. This makes the finding that 6/11 of autistic patients tested by WPI were XMRV+ all the more interesting.
  20. subtr4ct

Anyone here with POTS who is also XMRV positive?

@_Kim_: Could you tell us how many people that is total? Given different possibilities for overlapping conditions, that could be anywhere from 4 to 11 people that have some type of orthostatic intolerance. Thanks for posting this -- having this survey data will be so nice.
  21. subtr4ct

Anyone here with POTS who is also XMRV positive?

Okay now I'm trying to reconcile your avatar with my mental image of Richard Dawson in his three-peice suit... ewww :Retro smile:
  22. subtr4ct

German study finds xmrv

That's actually a quote from your teacher?!? Harsh! Or is this like when the Oracle tells Neo exactly what he needs to hear to motivate him...?
  23. subtr4ct

German study finds xmrv

Agreed! It is looking pretty unlikely at this point.
  24. subtr4ct

German study finds xmrv

Otis and Dr. Yes: I disagree (see posts 124 and 125) -- there is simply not enough information here to reach any conclusion other than there is a 92.2% (1 minus the p-value of 0.078 reported in the paper) chance that the observed difference between the infection rates for group 3 and the...
  25. subtr4ct

German study finds xmrv

Good point, gracenote. In the post above I implicitly made an additional assumption that the those needing a transplant/transfusion are infected at the 3.2% baseline, which might not be the case. If they were infected at a higher rate, then the expected rate of infection for...
  26. subtr4ct

German study finds xmrv

It seems that transmission via transplant/transfusion alone could account for the 9.9% infection rate in group 3 (i.e., we cannot conclude that an increased susceptibility to infection by other means is at work here). Assuming 1) donated blood/organs are not disproportionately likely/unlikely...
  27. subtr4ct

German study finds xmrv

omerbasket: that's what I was trying to say, although I think you explained it more thoroughly.
  28. subtr4ct

German study finds xmrv

Impish: I see your point -- unlikely to be a strictly psychological/psychiatric condition. Good point
  29. subtr4ct

German study finds xmrv

Your analysis implicitly assumes that the CFS ==> XMRV infection; this is not at all established, and looks less likely all the time (see post #64 above).