• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. S

Detection of Mycotoxins in Patients with CFS

Will they be making their products available to patients outside of Brewer's practice?
  2. S

Does TAG also have the chelating agent? I have a bottle of unused Nystatin powder, but the chelating agent I had expired. Good do know about the capsule option for CSM. I've been taking the cellulose powder from Woodland.
  3. S

Has anyone considered using nasal probiotics? This website has info about people that have put kim chi juice up their nose and significantly improved their sinusitis. Sounds wacky, but there is actually research to support the concept. Susan Lynch at UCSF discovered that people with chronic...
  4. S

I'm on board with 1 & 3. #2 is more challenging for me given my skepticism about the tests and the entire theory, but if I am seeing noticeable progress (even if very slow) committing for 1.5-2 years is nothing. I've been sick for a lot longer than that. #4 is an issue right now.I recently...
  5. S

What are people planning to do now that ASL is out of business? Nystatin capsules are easy to obtain, but what about the chelating agent and NasaTouch?
  6. S

That idea is still controversial. Later research showed that just as many controls had fungal colonization of their sinuses as people with sinusitis. Susan Lynch's work at UCSF found that both controls and people with sinusitis have staph colonization, but the people with sinusitis have lower...
  7. S

Just checked back on this thread. It seems that Ifish and is family are the only ones here that have experienced noticeable/significant improvement on the protocol. Is that correct? I purchases a Sunlighten sauna and have been using it every other day for 40 minutes each time. I don't notice...
  8. S

Here's a little update FWIW. Despite continued misgivings about the RTL test, and the journals that the Hooper and Brewer studies have been published in (see this write-up for more on that), I'm going to start the Nystatin nasal treatment in a few days. Previously I did the ampho-B treatment...
  9. S

Roxanne, I developed horrific sinus inflammation and eventually even lost my sense of smell entirely (which had never happened to me). I felt extremely fatigued, body aches, couldn't sleep, had terrible post-nasal drip, and couldn't think straight. I don't know whether it was a flare-up of...
  10. S

According to the papers I've seen, the levels of mycotoxin that RTL is detecting are right in line with what has been detected in urine from exposure to mold in food. I will need to dig up the studies to give specific examples, but I remember this pretty clearly. For me, at least, the treatment...
  11. S

Losing investor money is not a crime, nor is making money on a legitimate enterprise. My concern after reading the article was about Hooper's integrity. Integrity is crucial in science because there are all sorts of ways that data and results can be manipulated before they even appear in a...
  12. S

Another reason I am mistrustful of this lab. Why does the original test cost $800 if they can do a retest for $150 (now $180)? What is so different about the re-test? As far as I can tell, it's identical.
  13. S

I am finding it difficult to get past this. After reading the LA Times article on Hooper, and considering the fact that RTL's methodology has never been published or peer-reviewed, as well as the research which clearly shows that mycotoxins from food show up in the urine, it is just hard for me...
  14. S

Another update. I have a full-blown sinus infection, which is extremely rare for me. Don't think that has happened in 15+ years. My theory is that I caught a virus from my daughter, but the ampho B spray was causing so much inflammation that I developed a sinus infection as a result. I've long...
  15. S

Skiii, glad to hear your sinuses have finally cleared. The last week has been one of the hardest of my life. I had a cold/flu that I caught from my daughter when I first started the ampho B treatment about 3 weeks ago. I did the treatment for 2 weeks, taking both the chelator and ampho B twice a...
  16. S

I'm now four days off of the ampho B and I'm very slowly starting to recover. I actually lost all sense of smell for a few days (only now getting a hint back), I think because the sinus inflammation got so bad. That had never happened to me before. The reason I'm cautiously optimistic about...
  17. S

How do you know if it has become an infection? I guess an ENT has to determine that? The nasal swab that detected it didn't say whether it was an infection; it just said that it's there. I'm so reluctant to take long-term antibiotics, even in a lower dose, because of the history of gut issues...
  18. S

Thanks lfish. I'm not really trying to combine the Shoemaker approach with Brewer's treatment at this point, more just reporting on what I've done. I was also using Shoemaker's explanation of ERMI and HERTSMI-2 interpretation because that's the only one I'm aware of, and I haven't heard Brewer...
  19. S

Thanks Skiii and detts. I was not taking the BEG spray at the same time as the ampho B + chelating agent. Timing was as follows: — August: first RTL test. OTA = 0. AT = 0. MT = 0.38 — October: BEG spray; I also re-tested C4a in the middle of the BEG spray/CSM treatment, and it had gone up to...
  20. S

Hi everyone, I found this thread a couple of hours ago while searching for more information on the Brewer protocol, and I just finished reading all 45 pages. Whew! Very long story as short as possible. Been sick for about 16 years. Started while traveling in Asia, never been the same since...
  21. S

Best forum for Lyme?

I've suspected Lyme for many years, but my test results have been equivocal (borderline positive IgenX, low CD-57 count but negative on other tests). I decided to do the new Lyme culture assay from Advanced Labs, and I got the results this morning: positive. I made an appointment with a LLMD...
  22. S

Recommended testing for methylation block?

Great, I just ordered all 3 of their books. Will watch the video and the slides as soon as I'm able. Thanks again!
  23. S

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I work in a somewhat unique way with a particular patient population. I begin with a case review, which includes a fairly comprehensive blood panel with markers for blood sugar, oxygen deliverability, metabolic/immune function, iron status, etc. It includes...
  24. S

Rich, Thanks so much for the comprehensive rundown. I've seen your document on interpreting the methylation panel, which is very helpful. I already have an account with Metametrix and use them for stool testing, so I will look into their other profiles that you mentioned. I've been...
  25. S

Hi Fredd, I'm a clinician, so I'm interested in testing for my patients.
  26. S

I'm wondering what the current consensus is on the best testing to identify a methylation block (and thus determine who might benefit from the protocols discussed here). From what I gathered from searching the archives, the two recommended tests are the Genova Diagnostics Metabolic Analysis...
  27. S

B12/methylation research bibliography?

Thank you, Fredd. I will check out the thread on the wrongdiagnosis site. I appreciate all of the hard work you've done on this.
  28. S

Thank you, Rich. I've seen both protocols and there appear to be significant differences. I've read some of the discussion about those differences as well. I will probably end up trying both protocols with my patients, depending on their presentation. (Incidentally, I noticed you did the...
  29. S

I recently discovered this forum, and I'm so grateful for the depth of investigation happening here. I'm a clinician and I regularly screen for B12 deficiency using serum B12, urinary MMA and homocysteine (as well as a CBC). Not surprisingly, I frequently discover deficiencies. Until recently...