• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. C

What a year! Who do you want to thank? The Unofficial 2015 ME/CFS patient awards for...

My Award for Activist of the Year goes to Jennie Spotila. Yay! for all she has done.!
  2. C

Rewarding the ME/CFS Brain

And if anyone bugs me about the time I spend playing computer games, I just tell them that it's doctor ordered therapy!
  3. C

Rewarding the ME/CFS Brain

I had neuropsych testing about 10 years ago (to document my cognitive problems for my SSDI application). Afterwards I talked with my CFS doc about the results. She said that one way to improve my cognitive functioning was to go through a neuropsych brain retraining program, that would involve...
  4. C

Dr. Mark Hyman - Anybody have a good response?

xchocoholic, I agree that there is something to all this. I started eating paleo with a *heavy* emphasis on veggies in February, and have had noticeable health improvements. I'm currently starting the Wahls protocol, to see if that will help more. No, it hasn't cured my ME/CFS, or even made...
  5. C

Dr. Mark Hyman - Anybody have a good response?

I read some of Dr. Mark Hyman's articles, because he seems to have a thorough understanding of nutrition and its affect on illness. But his latest article has me seeing stars, I'm so angry: "Because I once was seriously ill with chronic fatigue syndrome, I know what it’s like to wake up every...
  6. C

WPI Matching Fund 2/27/2011 - 3/31/2011

I also missed the 'Note' field (same as the 'Special Instructions'?), but just donated $30.00
  7. C

'Science News' article on spinal fluid research - 'Chronic Fatigue'

'Science News' has posted an online article at this URL http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/70251/title/Tired%2C_sure%2C_but_is_it_from_Lyme_disease_or_chronic_fatigue%3F Unfortunately, I think access is limited to members. The article itself is a fair summary of the research...
  8. C

Demonstration at the CDC

Too poor and too sick to travel to Atlanta - but whatever I can do from upstate New York, I will.
  9. C

PR Newswire reports Washington Post Ad!

I would like to link to the ad on my facebook page - does anyone have a link to the ad?
  10. C

Elisabeth Tova Bailey, author of The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating

Just a quick note to say that this book is my new all-time favorite book (for the next month, anyway....) I am *so* looking forward to hearing what others think of it.
  11. C

From the 1st annual XMRV conference

Also sounds like you have to have RealPlayer installed on your computer. If you go to the FAQ, there's a link to download it free.
  12. C

SolveCFS Biobank, Who is supporting this on this forum?

Thanks for responding! I'll do that.
  13. C

http://www.cfidsreport.com By Craig Maupin

Yes!! After the first euphoria (hiking! movies! eating out! birding! concerts! hiking!) I started worrying. How on earth will I find a job and support myself when my work experience is 11+ yrs out of date, and I'm approaching 60? (Wait, I was 44 the last time I looked.....) Who is going to hire...
  14. C

SolveCFS Biobank, Who is supporting this on this forum?

I would like to, but I just don't have the energy to wade through the web pages and decipher the exclusion conditions and how they apply to me. I do wish the web pages were set up for brain-fogged folks :ashamed:
  15. C

CDC Job

Just some clarification: from what I can tell, the description in the 1st post, playing up the $5M budget, is from the CFSAC. The actual job listing, which does not mention a dollar amount, is here: http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=90144747&FedEmp=Y&FedPub=Y&sort=rv,-dte Sounds...
  16. C

Difference between sudden and gradual onset XMRV

I know this is getting off topic, but..... Interesting!! I had that happen twice in the first couple years of CFS, except that for me it lasted a half hour or so - scared me half to death. And my docs paid absolutely no attention, except to give me strange looks. It's good to find I'm not the...
  17. C

Proteins of the XMRV retrovirus Christopher Carter

I wonder if this is the Christopher Carter who wrote this: http://www.schizophreniaforum.org/com/res/detail.asp?id={F3525A47-56E7-4FB4-8011-83B959598699} He also wrote a paper about schizophrenia and viruses: Carter, C.J. Schizophrenia susceptibility genes directly implicated in the life cycles...
  18. C

Proteins of the XMRV retrovirus Christopher Carter

Does anyone know anything about Christopher Carter - other research, academic field, specialty, etc. ?
  19. C

FDA/NIH PAPER IN LIMBO; PATIENTS UNITE, by Mindy Kitei

I agree - never underestimate the ability of government agencies to sweep things under the rug (spoken as a former government employee....) And they are somewhat sensitive to political pressure.
  20. C

Dr. Mikovits of the WPI to Host Live Q&A Session Regarding XMRV 22nd Jan

How? As a non-sophisticated computer user, I'm worried: has anybody found instructions for how to link in to the web broadcast? I heard somewhere that ProHealth would have instructions up this week, but I haven't found anything on their site.