• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. C

Slowed intestinal transit - What do do?

I have slow bowel transit, and that results in hardening of the stool. By the time it reaches the rectum, too much water has been removed in the large bowel. The function of the large bowel is mainly to remove water before it reaches the rectum. As a result of the slow transit I have, I need to...
  2. C

rheumatoid factors

My rheumatoid factor is positive as well, but I do not have rheumatoid arthritis. I don't know the connection between CFS/ME and a positive RF, other than it likely is a result of some bodily attempt to resolve the autoimmune aspect of it.
  3. C

Slowed intestinal transit - What do do?

I take a glass of Lax-a-day or RestoraLAX daily. It's a Polyethlylene Glycol 3350 containing laxative that causes the bowel to absorb more water and thus keeps the stool from getting too hard and dry before passing. It does not cause the bowel to contract, and so is safe for long term use. It...
  4. C

Swallowing

Hi. I was diagnosed with achalasia in 1998, after losing 13 pounds over three weeks. It's a motility problem, when the sphincter between the esophagus and stomach won't relax enough to allow food to enter into the stomach. In addition, the peristaltic waves of the esophagus is weak and...
  5. C

High-intensity exercise

I find this very interesting as well. I've not seen the program either, but this very much describes my lifelong experience with trying to maintain some sort of fitness. I have two siblings with phys-ed degrees, so I was constantly compared to their level of enjoyment of exercise. My experience...
  6. C

Great article, MS/Bipolar/Schizo=retrovirus activated by other infections

I have a son with schizophrenia, and a strong family history of depression. I have depression, along with a weakly positive rheumatoid factor and elevated ESR. I also have achalasia, a swallowing problem, of which the cause is not known. So, lots of inflammatory problems. I also have major GI...
  7. C

SOMATISATION, DEPRESSION AND ME

I can only respond to this post as someone who is in the midst of trying to obtain LTD coverage through my plan at work. The denial letters state that there is no objective evidence, only subjective evidence, of problems that would affect my ability to work. I have felt during the last 5 years...
  8. C

anyone have poor stamina before they got CFS?

Hi. I was unwell as a child, a trip to the doctor to rule out leukemia when I was 5 years or so ( I'm 55 now). Then poor stamina in gym classes in school, despite growing up in fresh air and sunshine. Couldn't do laps in gym, would almost barf, and the last to be picked for teams. I noticed my...