• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. GhostGum

Vitamin D levels not rising after high dose, why?

As in the interaction of UVB light frequency from the sun with your body and biology to produce vitamin d and maybe arguably the most ideal way to get it, because supplementation is obviously not working for some reason. There is going to be a host of other benefits from natural light as well if...
  2. GhostGum

Vitamin D levels not rising after high dose, why?

Just an obvious question here but have you tried just using the sun instead? I had a bad summer myself here in southern hemisphere but still managed enough exposure (it was quite minimal but consistent) to have my levels around 75ng/ml mid Autumn still, I am quite south as well so the ability to...
  3. GhostGum

Extreme relaxation seems to be the only thing that helps me feel better

Oh and Wim Hof method breathing as well, this can be a bit more intense and tricky for ME people but is worth trying as well, you just want to again try and breath in a way that supports a parasympathetic/relaxed response. I tend to do something in between oxygen advantage and Wim Hof these...
  4. GhostGum

Extreme relaxation seems to be the only thing that helps me feel better

I think I am in a somewhat similar situation myself these days, although my gf tends to add to my stress rather than help it, she has anxiety and stress issues herself, it is nice you have someone that can provide that for you. My whole journey the last few years has turned out to be a far...
  5. GhostGum

What are your effective strategies for various infections/immune system?

Just a few things I have picked up lately to consider, the NAC glycine combo, I think glycine has especially helped me physically in improved body composition/strength but also in supporting soft tissue. Both of these are precursors to glutathione and are going to help in cellular/immune...
  6. GhostGum

2500 patients in France taking methylene blue as part of cancer therapy remain COVID-19-free

Hi Wayne, not sure I can answer this definitively, I have also been trying to treat these methylation pathways for years and have never quite been able to understand the difference between ourselves, lived experienced and the chemistry. For example excess dopamine is probably linked to...
  7. GhostGum

2500 patients in France taking methylene blue as part of cancer therapy remain COVID-19-free

@Wayne can this not also lead to problems though as well? Having excess neurotransmitters and not breaking them down is not necessarily a good thing. I already have met/met MAO-A and COMT so already have slow break down of dopamine and serotonin which likely leads to issues rather than benefits...
  8. GhostGum

Near Infrared Light (940nm) Improves COVID Outcomes.

I find it interesting when I am feeling good these days my tolerance of it is fine and it actually can even kind of feel like cheating at life on some level, if I am having a bad day it feels like it is doing next to nothing and just over stimulating. So typical of the ME/CFS experience I think...
  9. GhostGum

Interesting reactions to supplements

Oh and the klonopin could be a bit of a tricky factor, no idea how that may play a part in all this. Long term daily use on a benzodiazepine can be problematic I am afraid and not fun trying to get off of sometimes.
  10. GhostGum

Interesting reactions to supplements

You should probably get your genetic results as well so you can have a more specific idea of what may be going on, you are not necessarily going to have the same genes as your brother. If you have also read Hip's post about Dr. Greg Russell-Jones approach there are other co-factors involved in a...
  11. GhostGum

Near Infrared Light (940nm) Improves COVID Outcomes.

Have looked into this a fair bit, higher end lights you are looking at Mito Red or Infraredi, I think Infraredi offer the best value for quality last time I checked? I think EMR-TEK make good lights too and a bit more cheaper, I have their 800watt but just run it off the Infrared/red mode, its...
  12. GhostGum

Interesting the photodynamic therapy aspect here, have been using a couple of near infrared/red light therapy devices now for a few months and find it quite helpful, helps with sleep, inflammation and generally more level energy levels, would be curious to combine it with MB. Wonder if near...
  13. GhostGum

Has anyone had their genome sequenced?

Interestingly I got mine done like 7 years ago and started treatment based on varied advice, this is actually where the problems come in because you will get varied advice and then actually your personal experience in trying to apply treatment, which seems to be a few key supplements, mainly...
  14. GhostGum

Very noticeable improvements in brain fog using Dr Greg Russell-Jones's transdermal B12 oils (which provide a similar dose to B12 injections)

I guess I should add my bit here, since I have been using them for maybe 7+ years, it just so happens I am revisiting this approach and my genetic data lately due to a very rocky year and mental health crisis. Interestingly years ago though, due to the CFS/brain fog/sensitivity to supplements...
  15. GhostGum

Heavy Metal Detoxing question

Curious about your zeolite product, have you looked into TRS? I wonder if it is similar, TRS is suppose to be highly absorbable unlike most zeolite products. Have you also eaten much chocolate over the years? It can be the reason behind the cadmium and lead levels. A friend and I, who also has...
  16. GhostGum

Which theoretical cause of CFS/ME do you believe to be true?

I think it is all of the above and including issues with the autonomic nervous system all partly to do with long term physiological and brain dysfunction due to modern living. I should note I am ME/CFS coming up on 16 years and just by luck I ran into the right person several months ago who...
  17. GhostGum

Do we know enough about mitochondrial problems in ME/CFS now to assess likely benefits from CoQ10?

I believe there is an old discussion about this somewhere where some say that high doses was effective for reducing most symptoms, if I recall 600mg+. I use 200mg Ubiquinol I take with copious amounts of cod liver oil at night and find it does help, I just need to start taking it in the morning...
  18. GhostGum

Dr. Nun Amen-Ra - World Record Deadlifter on Calorie Restriction Diet

@Dufresne I think steroids is what most rational people are assuming, he is in his early 40's too and anyone interested in biochemistry and longevity these days at that age will start using some HRT more than likely. Stretch marks across the shoulders are pretty common though for people of...
  19. GhostGum

@Ben Howell In hindsight I should have waited, done more research about the diet and its potentials from a more logic point of view and then posted. Putting that vid up of this very eccentric guy was a real backwards way of going about it, but I just find him and his practises very interesting...
  20. GhostGum

@Ben Howell At the end of the day I am only interested in the idea of the diet and its potential benefits, which seems to have great potential in many respects. People can pick over him, his website, veganism or whatever but all we should be considering is how the diet may be beneficial and or...
  21. GhostGum

@cman89 I don't think this has to be low carb, he says he still eats rice, bread and tubers, personally low carb does not work for me neither but it seems with this, with the 23 hour break you can still get the benefits of ketosis. Getting over the cravings for quick carbs and snacks is always...
  22. GhostGum

@taniaaust1 as you say its all a bit useless without knowing the food combinations and his diet, although he seems to explain in great detail his reasoning behind everything, will have to go looking around for the exact diet. I do not think you have to do this as a vegan neither, but can tailor...
  23. GhostGum

Had to post this, I find this guy incredibly interesting, knowledgeable and quite convincing. He is a world record holder in deadlifting and all off of a calorie restricted one meal a day diet, sounds completely ridiculous but then when you see how incredibly refined his diet and lifestyle is...
  24. GhostGum

Tired of being single

I am 35, also lost all those years since I was about 18, I do have hope and expectation though I will find a partner but mostly due to good improvement I guess. I think there is always hope if you have hope of recovery, because it does not matter how old you are to find love and companionship...
  25. GhostGum

Pasteurized vs unpasteurized milk

From an anecdotal point of view I use a good organic un-homogenised full cream milk and have found it interesting that it can last around a month past its used by date and still be fine, because I assume the integrity of proteins and cultures is much better. Those pasteurised and homogenised...
  26. GhostGum

Ubiquity and formation of chronic fatigue in qualified sportsmen

Seems professional swimming is known for health issues, burn out but also more prone to viral/respiratory problems, of course the main likely culprit being the chlorine in the water. Always made me wonder whether this was partly to blame for my onset since I was swimming daily at the time, I...
  27. GhostGum

cannabis strains for fibromyalgia

I still find lists like that a little annoying because it is a bunch of generalised information and recreational named plants, even if the strains are tried and tested medicinally. But I think anyone wanting to use cannabis medicinally wants more CBD based cannabis, to avoid any issues around...
  28. GhostGum

Religion?

I think beyond whether you believe in god or not, beyond the endless amounts of subjective ideas and silly rituals religion at its most basic human level can provide tremendous support, especially in a modern society which can appear quite disconnected and selfish at times. It is all going to...
  29. GhostGum

Fish oil Causing more fatigue?

Putting all that oil into your stomach, no wonder it is causing fatigue. I tend to get a little nausea from a couple teaspoons of cod liver oil, even after putting a meal on top of it and could not imagine taking 30g. Personally I think a good fish/cod liver oil is a staple for ME, so just...
  30. GhostGum

Possible use of repeated cold stress for reducing fatigue in chronic fatigue syndrome

@Old Bones @WoolPippi One thing that needs to be mentioned here and made clear is that 'shock' would never be the right way to approach this in most with ME and it is not how I have approached it over the last 12 months. It would be much more ideal for sufferers to take a very grandual...