• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. L

Adaptogens for Adrenal Fatigue

They may not be perfect, but I still personally believe that they provide helpful information. I can't say I could think of an alternative that would be better, only the possible conflicts of interest/etc. would be behind closed doors and so we wouldn't know about them. Regarding your...
  2. L

Subscriptions do not constitute conflict of interest, this is the same as people subscribing to Consumer Reports Magazine. I'm not sure sale of books or survey reports are either. Somehow they have to fund their operation. Advertising on their website could be a conflict of interest. The...
  3. L

New Research: memory problems caused by medications

I thought this research study might be of interest to people. The entire article can be found at: http://www.kurzweilai.net/are-you-elderly-and-having-memory-or-concentration-problems Are you elderly and having memory or concentration problems? November 7, 2012 They might be caused by...
  4. L

This is what ConsumerLab.com puts on their website regarding income: OWNERSHIP, AFFILIATIONS, AND SOURCES OF REVENUE: ConsumerLab.com, LLC is a privately held company based in New York. It is not affiliated with manufacturers of health and nutrition products. Revenues are derived primarily...
  5. L

Consumerlab.com is an independent organization that tests supplements for content and contamination, and they gather together the latest research on each supplement they test.
  6. L

The "Obama Promise" Fulfilled: Obama Requests NIH Elevate Priority of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

So incredibly cool!! Thank you to the Millers for fighting for us, and to Cort for keeping us updated. Thank you email sent.
  7. L

most common Vitamin D tests inaccurate

For those of you who are not a member of ConsumerLab.com, I thought I'd relay the following information. I must paraphrase and not copy and paste due to copyright issues. ConsumerLab just updated their report on Vitamin D tests. They say that the most common current methods of testing Vitamin...
  8. L

DSM-5 proposals for Somatoform Disorders revised on April 27

As a PWC and therapist I submitted comment previously. I will reexamine all the new changes and see how I might again submit comment to give voice for us ME/CFS'ers. Anything you think I should highlight in particular?
  9. L

DSM-5 proposals for Somatoform Disorders revised on April 27

Suzy, Thank you so much for your multiple, detailed postings to keep us all updated on a very important matter. Ridiculously, we ME/CFS'ers have to fight battle after battle just to prove we are sick. This particular battle is absolutely critical, as the DSM's influence cannot be overestimated.
  10. L

Chocolate Treatment for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Gallstones sound perfectly awful! Though I suppose moderating fat intake is probably good for all of us. Without such a clear and immediate painful result I think it's hard sometimes to do the right thing when it comes to food. Heart disease runs in my family so I know I should be cautious about...
  11. L

If one were trying to use chocolate medicinally, cocoa powder might be better because it contains all the active ingredients that have been studied. And is pure, no added sugar, etc. For me chocolate is something I enjoy and so to try to have the equivalent in cocoa powder every day, say a...
  12. L

I didn't realize there is a connection between avocado and gallstones. It sounds like you came through the surgery well, though, which is good. I have to say, I also was skeptical the first time I made the recipe. But I wanted an alternative to dairy-based or soy-based chocolate puddings...
  13. L

I generally buy Trader Joe's Organic Dark Chocolate (just chocolate and sugar, by the way, no additives), sometimes Valhrona. The TJ chocolate is made formed into squares. So a square for me is...literally one of the squares of the bar. No idea about calories. But the bar is shaped into 12...
  14. L

I haven't written in reply to a thread in quite some time, usually just reading/lurking, but as a chocoholic, I had to respond! :) I eat a small square of dark chocolate (73%) almost every morning. Psychologically it's a treat, and physically I find it gives me a small energy and mood boost...
  15. L

pulsing

Hi Don, I take olive leaf also. Really helped with my sinusitis. I don't know if it's better or worse to pulse supplements. However, because of my experience that some supplements often work great in the beginning and then lose their effectiveness (maybe because of the partial methylation...
  16. L

Suffering and spirituality 2

thanks for the link to anita moorjani. very very cool. now if there were only a way to operationalize her insights for significant healing for us non-NDE 'ers...
  17. L

Suffering and spirituality

I also think there is a strong cultural piece. American culture is very individualistic and pro-active. The good ole' "can-do" attitude. Which is truly something special and has contributed to all the benefits we receive living here in the US. But the shadow side of this pervades not only the...
  18. L

Thank you Dreambirdie for saying that! I also have difficulty with people who profess to be spiritual and then want to whitewash suffering. It feels like a denial of reality. Maybe on some ultimate reality level everything is a blessing; but for me, living in this material world, being sick...
  19. L

Nielk, I decided to PM you. Maybe later I will feel comfortable sharing more details in public. And I don't want to hijack the thread...
  20. L

Thanks Nielk for starting a great thread. I was already very spiritually oriented when I developed M.E. So for me, the suffering of M.E. has not particularly increased this. Though I've experienced some interesting things in my search for healing! That is one thing that has changed as a...
  21. L

New drug could cure nearly any viral infection

The research is very interesting! Thanks for sharing it.
  22. L

Chronic viral immune activation, possible?

I looked at the Stanford site a little. It goes over the tests they do, and the success they've had with valacyclovir (Valtrex) in treating herpes complex viruses in ME/CFS patients. There's only a short paragraph about proper interpretation of the tests -- I'm not sure it's enough to give good...
  23. L

Chronic viral immune activation, possible?

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but your discussion is making me wonder about my own ME. I haven't been tested for the herpes viruses. But a year before I got sick, I visited a friend's house for several days. 24 hours into it, my friend's child came down with chicken pox. I...
  24. L

Impaired Cardiac Function study in Journal of Internal Medicine:

Thanks for posting! I am always glad to see research that closely links to our symptoms and demonstrates what we intuitively know to be so.
  25. L

Dr. Chia

Thank you so much for the links Timaca! Very helpful.
  26. L

Dr. Chia

I just want to say I also have been considering seeing Dr. Chia so I appreciate any and all information shared!
  27. L

Probiotic advice

The probiotic that works the best for me is Dr. Ohhiras professional formula. It's the only one that for me actually seems to do a (temporary) fix -- after doing a course of just one box, I can have a happy stomach for many months...
  28. L

Comment by 'laura' in 'Leibi Kletsky'

The Kletsky tragedy is absolutely horrific. My heart goes out to the family. I pray for them to find comfort and strength from each other and from the community. I appreciate your using the tragedy to rethink your usual attitude towards life. It makes me think about my own. The tragedy...
  29. L

could no cfsers handle or low level crap days??

It is very frustrating, that even people who care about us, can't really fathom what we struggle against every day. Sometimes the attitude I encounter is, well, she must not be trying very hard to get well. Yes! Just this week I expressed concern to my doctor about heart symptoms. The...
  30. L

Does anyone else feel revolting after a shower?

I have also experienced what you talk about -- I even collapsed once in the shower, when I was much sicker. I have attributed it to poor adrenal functioning; when I am doing better, and when I am consistent in supplements that support my adrenals, showers are less taxing.