• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. A

Craniosacral Therapy

Hi all, Has anyone here tried craniosacral therapy with any lasting results to help with headaches, cognitive functioning, fatigue relief? I tried it once a couple of years ago for headaches, and after about a month or so of sessions, the headaches were relieved. But not permanently. And so...
  2. A

My fatigue is relieved by rest...

I really can't speak to what the real definition in the criteria means regarding fatigue not helped by rest. I just know for me that I never feel rested after sleep. I have very little problems going to sleep or staying asleep, and almost feel narcoleptic in that I can fall sleep anytime during...
  3. A

Neurotransmitter Levels - Serotonin, Dopamine, GABA, Norepinephrine

Hi Sparrow, I'm definitely suffering from low seretonin and low dopamine, and I have also been researching a lot about the neurotransmitter side of the CFS equation. I have replied on another thread that my MD had me complete a urine test for neurotransmitter levels and it was evaluated at...
  4. A

Trying 5-HTP

My MD had me do a urine test for all neurotransmitter levels (sent to NeuroScience in WI for processing). This is not a typical medical diagnostic. I have read that urine testing of neurotransmitters is controversial - especially the opinion of traditional MDs - but my doctor says she has had...
  5. A

Trying 5-HTP

That's why I'm only taking it under a doctor's order. I wouldn't advise self-medicating - not even with supplements. My doctor has seen patients on both SSRI or SNRI and 5-HTP. The issue is that SSRIs/SNRIs prevent the reuptake of serotonin - that is, the reabsorption of serotonin, so that there...
  6. A

Latest Symptom: Vertigo

Hi RLC - I had a reason why I was low on ferritin, so the cause for that is explained, and it is completely separate from CFS. I have been tested for Celiac's and am negative. I have had adrenals tested, many cortisol tests (both blood and saliva) and had ACTH stim test. My cortisol levels are...
  7. A

Thanks, Cindi! I have pre-anemia - that is to say low ferritin levels (the iron storage), and I have had that for more than a year and been treating it with iron supps for that long. Not a new issue, so may not be the trigger here. I have low sodium/high potassium levels, as is common with...
  8. A

Over the past few weeks, I have developed vertigo. I get slightly dizzy on a bumpy car ride, when watching scrolling on a computer screen, when watching computer projection on a wall/screen (such as presentation at work), if I spin around once, and even bending over makes my head a bit woozy...
  9. A

weight Gain

Yep, if I eat more than approx 1200 calories per day, I gain weight. If I eat a moderate amount of carbs, I pack on the pounds even faster. I have no appetite really, so I eat small snacks every couple of hours to keep the CFS hypoglycemic-type symptoms at bay (could care less about food...
  10. A

Flu/Cold/Allergy Like Symptoms?

These are the major indicators of a flare for me. I don't know what triggers them. Before symptoms of CFS started to appear 3.5 years ago (after the first sinus infection I ever had) I had no known allergies, so I don't know if I suddenly developed any or not. Blood tests show I have low immune...
  11. A

Do I Have to Give Up Caffeine?

Thank you all for the great insights and discussion! GG - I actually have a fairly accommodating work situation, and theoretically could start at a later hour. Unfortunately, I have 2 preschool-age boys who wake me up at 6 a.m. no matter what day it is, so I already have to get up and start...
  12. A

Trying 5-HTP

Hi, I searched the forums but couldn't find any posts referring to 5-HTP (an amino acid precursor to serotonin). I'm reading Treating & Beating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by Rodger Murphree. He highly recommends taking 5-HTP to induce creation of seretonin and enable a deep...
  13. A

Hi mon ame - It is a 12 oz drink, but just has 1 oz (shot) of espresso and the other 11 ounces are non-fat steamed milk (mocha or latte drink from Starbucks :)). Thanks all for the input. It's good to know that it is individual. Caffeine doesn't hype me up. I can't function without it and am...
  14. A

Dealing with Pushy People

Hi Carrigon, I hope you don't feel guilty for declining that invite! It is rude for the neighbor to be pushy about it, but just chalk it up to ignorance. Even if your reason for not going wasn't related to health, she probably would have ignored your needs and pushed regardless of who you are or...
  15. A

Hi all, I'm just starting to learn about what I need to do to manage CFS and work at getting better. I have read that I should be avoiding caffeine. My doctor (MD who specializes in treating CFS/FM and other chronic illnesses) didn't mention this to me. Do I really have to give up...