• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. talkingfox

News Report on Blood Ban & CFS...

Hi. that's me on the story. A few points of interest that WEREn't highlighted: The Guy from PSBB is the next prez. of teh AABB Their policy of BANNING donations from CFS patients wasn't implemented until AFTER talking to the reporters. As of Monday the week the story ran, the PSBB support...
  2. talkingfox

Sock It To ME

They are sitting safe and sound in my studio at the moment Brown Eyed Girl. To date we've not received enough socks to launch any sort of effective display. But then again the project is only a couple of months old :Retro cool:
  3. talkingfox

Show Your Socks!!!

14 in so far :Retro biggrin:
  4. talkingfox

Show Your Socks!!!

AWESOME Kim! The socks have started to come in...and they're even cooler in person!
  5. talkingfox

Show Your Socks!!!

Tammie, there's a product called Fraycheck that works wonders. Alternatively you can run a zigzag stitch on your machine along the seam edge. Another thing you can do to reinforce is to use another layer of scrap fabric on the inside of the sock and secure it there with a fusible...
  6. talkingfox

International Sock Ambassadors Wanted

Have I told you guys today that you're utterly AWESOME????? The amount of support for this project makes me get all teary. thank you all so very much!!!
  7. talkingfox

Sock It To ME: a community public art project to raise awareness and funds.

We got our first batches of socks in today ...Hurray! Just a quick reminder to those contemplating how to do their socks: PLEASE read the size requirements thoroughly and also remember that these will be packed, unpacked and outdoors. Also, please completely fill out the submission...
  8. talkingfox

Show Your Socks!!!

keep in mind starry, that we do have volunteers in place to help with sock making if you need assistance :)
  9. talkingfox

Show Your Socks!!!

Spin, those are adorable! I can't wait until they get here!
  10. talkingfox

Sock It To ME

Outstanding spindrift! I'm all excited now!
  11. talkingfox

Sock It To ME

The project is officially launching on May 12th :) Displays of socks will happen when we have enough sent to make a few garlands and will depend on bodies to help and availability of demonstration space and whatnot. All socks that are sent in will also be on view in a searchable database...
  12. talkingfox

Sock It To ME

I've been wondering the same myself...in the same boat. But yanno what? I think it's gonna fly :Retro biggrin:
  13. talkingfox

Maddening Creepies in Nerves

yup. Happens a lot with me. It calmed down a bit when I started using sublingual methyl b-12 and an active b complex. I didn't go completely away, but it did ease down to a tolerable level.
  14. talkingfox

Sock It To ME

I think the phrase is public domain since it's one that's common usage. I don't think we have to worry about that.
  15. talkingfox

Sock It To ME

LOL great image tina! I'd pay to see Cher wearing handknit stripy socks as well. Thanks for all the press info!!!!
  16. talkingfox

Sock It To ME

Aw thanks gracenote. :Retro redface: And my apologies to everyone about being incommunicado about the project (and just about everything else) for the last few. I've kind of got my head down working on the physical groundwork/mechanics of the project and am likely to be so until official...
  17. talkingfox

Sock It To ME

I finally got our CafePress web store up and running. I'll be adding a few more things over the next day or 2, but we've got buttons and t shirts and coffee cups all ready :Retro biggrin: The Sock Shoppe And thanks everyone for all the awesome PR ideas!
  18. talkingfox

Do have a link for the companies that produce the tags Jessie? I'd need to look into pricing as we're on beyond a shoestring budget. Good Idea though!
  19. talkingfox

Not to worry Tammie. Everything will be on the website when it launches :) The resident geek is working on it now and we're looking at a May 12th launch.
  20. talkingfox

All of that will be set up by launch day. The geekmeister is hard at work making sure that all of our needs are being addressed as far as the website, database, etcetcetc.. I'm very sure that we'll have a paypal option. :Retro smile:
  21. talkingfox

Paper is way too fragile and will not withstand the packing an unpacking need for such projects. And the project will grow as it does. It will, of course start small as all grassroots sorts of things do :) As far as socks, smallness etc...we're still working on size parameters, and in...
  22. talkingfox

jace could you e-mail me what you have? I have several friends in museum level textile and public art installation and I'd like to run the entirety of what we have so far by them since they've got so much experience. Oh and anything that needs to go to the web guy can be sent to me as...
  23. talkingfox

Psychiatric Theory in practice: Liverpool CF/CFS Clinic Patient handout

Orla, I recently saw a training video for GP's in teh UK that pretty much outlined everything (except the 'research ' stuff) that was in the booklet. I've retitled the thing "How to Make Your Patients Shaddup and Drink the Koolaid" It was oh so chillingly polite with one of the more...
  24. talkingfox

Tagamet (cimetidine) for CFIDS (worked for me)

yeah, me too, but I'll take what better I can get :Retro biggrin: Over the decades with this illness I've not always been at this level...this particular flare has been persistent and one of the more severe ones I've had. I'm taking 800 mg atm, I have thought about increasing to 1000 and see...
  25. talkingfox

Tagamet (cimetidine) for CFIDS (worked for me)

I seem to have hit a wall with the tagamet faith. I got some improvements, then it seems to have stalled. I most definitely do better on it, but still only functioning at about 30-40%. On the plus side, before I started I was even having trouble getting around the house and was rapidly...
  26. talkingfox

OH and I need to add an organizational thing here. I'm really loving the enthusiasm and willingness of everyone to help out! If you are inclined to help out in the project in ANY WAY (including letter writing, lapel sock knitting, contacting press, etcetcetc) it's really important right...
  27. talkingfox

ok I had an idea as far as the sock garlands...will make for a wee bit more uniformity of garland, easier attachments and better personalization space. How about regulated sizes of xmas stocking type shapes? One size for adults, one for adolescents and one for kids under the age of 14. the...
  28. talkingfox

yeah I'm down with the webbing idea. easy attachment and strong. as far as cards, well that's a rough one to call. not all socks will need them, some will be non traditional socks, some won't. How about that's the call in assembly? IE does this sock NEED a way for clearer info...
  29. talkingfox

Weight Training

To answer a couple of questions Yes, I plan on getting tested as soon as an antibody test is available. And no, I'm not lifting at the moment. Over the course of my illness I've been one of the fortunate ones that's had remissions and near remissions. Last time I tried to lift (about 18...
  30. talkingfox

as far as attaching the socks to the garland what's wrong with just a few stitches with an upholstery/sail needle and some upholstery thread directly to the line? Simple and stable. If a loop is likewise fashioned at the end of each line and the raw edges taped each garland could be simply...