• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. ktred

Intermittent Ketogenesis

Can you explain the difference in these two types of sugars? Thanks
  2. ktred

Each hormone deficiency is associated with a distinct kind of fatigue. I had them all.

Can you elaborate more on your diet? I don't think paleo diets are ideal for all. I have one of the MTHFR genetic defects and notice a difference when I consume a lot of green leafy vegetables. Maybe I misunderstand how Paleo diets work, but I believe the emphasis is on fats and proteins.
  3. ktred

I replace ALL my hormones. This brought me back to life. But is it sustainable for decades?

@thingsvarious, do you know what your SHGB levels are? It tends to raise up a bit when thyroid hormones are taken.
  4. ktred

Basic Methylation Question

Methylation can be a difficult subject to wrap your head around. The MTHFR gene is only one piece of of a complicated metabolic pathway. Dr. Amy Yasko has a series of videos on YouTube that are interesting and you will feel like your a geneticist when your done watching them! From watching her...
  5. ktred

Assimilating methylation information

Did anyone discover a good method for assimilating all on the information here on methylation? This forum has a wealth of information that I periodically refer back to, especially Rich's and Freddd's posts. I know that the content here is continually evolving, which is part of what makes it so...
  6. ktred

How to live after giving up fighting?

It brought a smile to my face when I saw that you replied. You mentioned being a sensitive person which is something I suspected from reading your posts. I too am a very sensitive, empathetic and introspective person. This personality type brings special challenges to a chronically sick person...
  7. ktred

Hi Jasper 80. Just checking in with you to see how you're doing.
  8. ktred

I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this. I honestly believe that you're not in an impossible situation. Your brain works well enough that you can write something coherent and that is a sign of something good. I've had long periods of time where I couldn't do that. Sometimes you need something...
  9. ktred

Jasper, I think the most distressing aspect of dealing with a prolonged illness that spans decades is the social isolation and corresponding loneliness. Please don't give up because we need each other. Knowing that you can make through another day helps me to do the same. Simply knowing that...
  10. ktred

Weak, trembly feeling, with twitches and shakes

My 11 year old son was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis today, so I am finding this thread quite fascinating. His doctor did not request any tests to support this diagnosis and it has me concerned. All the doctor told us was that the UC would go away eventually, and that was it. I would like to...
  11. ktred

How to manage bad thoughts during a crash...

My illness has made me realize how complex our interactions with other people can be. I also find it taxing to interact with people when I crash out. I find solace with my pets, although caring for them requires more energy that I would like. I had one sweet cat that lived to 18 years old that I...
  12. ktred

23andme comparison for people with ME?

This is such a great idea. I'm going to send a request as well to 23andme regarding adding a CFS community. As someone else notated, I was really surprised that they didn't flag my homozygous MTHFR C699 as a potential health problem since it's probably the most well studed snp in the meythlation...
  13. ktred

Help needed with Yasko results - brain fog - calling all Triffids

I'm a little jealous of your methylation profile. It looks so much better than mine! Just curious, but were did you your information on genetic snp's and kidney disease? I know there's so many other things to look at from a genetic standpoint than methylation.
  14. ktred

COMT and methylfolate

I was researching studies relating to COMT +/+, it seems that it's not simply the levels of dopamine in the brain, but which part of the brain the dopamine is in. One study I read suggested that one of the COMT +/+ snp's tended to result in lower levels of dopamine in the frontal cortex but...
  15. ktred

Another plea for help with test results - Methylation & Detox

I wish I could give you some sage advice, but I'm also a novice when it comes to genetics. Maybe being +/- for CBS, you have sulfur/sulfite issues. I am +/- for CBS C699T, so I plan on testing my sulfite levels sometime soon. It's a good thing you discovered sublingual B vitamins since you...
  16. ktred

What Does Overmethylation Feel Like?

Very interesting. I've had a few of those symptoms, but not most of them. I also take thyroid medicine (T3) combined with Armour and hydrocortisone for my non functioning adrenal glands. When those meds are off a bit, the symptoms seem similar to overymethlyation. Do you think heart...
  17. ktred

Opinions on my 23andme results?

Sea, I'm so sorry about the loss of your father.
  18. ktred

Opinions on my 23andme results?

Hi Sea, Have you found any helpful ways of addressing your +/+ COMT V158M, COMT H62H sstatus? There's not a lot out there relative to some of the other mutations on how to deal with them. I have a slightly different VDR Taq status than you in that I'm +/+, which I suppose means I can handle...
  19. ktred

How to lower norepinephrine

I have some mutations that depending on my current epigenetics, seems turn my dopamine to nor-epinephrine. Anyone have any thoughts on how to deal with high norepinephrine once it has arrived on the scene. It can certainly make things uncomfortable. I have tried GABA and 5HTP it seems to help...
  20. ktred

2012 Autoimmune conf linking VDR to EBV/CMV

I haven't had a chance to look at the video, but I did Google the subject and found an interesting abstract: http://autoimmunityresearch.org/preprints/WaterhouseAnnals2009Preprint.pdf I only read the first of the eleven pages in this abstract, but this involves bacteria instead of EBV...
  21. ktred

Here's the CBS & sulfate/sufite answer

I hope this isn't a foolish question, but what processes does high ammonia in one's body through off kilter? I know it can be a toxin, but does it block receptor sites, bind with endocrine hormones, etc? Thanks
  22. ktred

I really appreciate your reposting this for me. So much of this information I have yet to fully comprehend! My methylation supplementation has for the most part helped me, but I do feel something like anxiety; it's hard to put a name on what I'm feeling. Like you, my adrenals get fried very...
  23. ktred

Received genetic results -- I'd really appreciate any help

There's a very low dose supplement made by Ecological Formulas.
  24. ktred

Received genetic results -- I'd really appreciate any help

Thanks for that nice summary on dealing with CBS and BMHT mutations.
  25. ktred

Just got my Methylation and Detox Profile Results: can the Experts Kindly Provide Commentary Please

Does anyone know where there's information on interpreting the detox profile?
  26. ktred

Need for massive amount of B12 and MTR A2756G polymorphism

Does anyone know to get the exact snp's for the GST genes? I looked at snpedia and some other sites but can't find them. Thanks
  27. ktred

Need for massive amount of B12 and MTR A2756G polymorphism

Do you know if in this study, they had the entire tooth removed or just the amalgam filling? It remember reading about a study where they it was found that even after amalgams were removed from teeth, the teeth them selves contained mercury that had leeched out them from the amalgams. So, even...
  28. ktred

I am+/+ for COMT V158M, COMT H62H, VDR Tak & MTHR C677T. This grouping of homozygous mutations leaves me very confused about how sensitive I am might be to methyl donors. I have been sick for so long that it's hard for me to tell when or if I have been over-methylated. I have gone through...
  29. ktred

I have a lot of BHMT and AHCY mutations, among others. Can you advise me?

Thanks Tom for this interesting post. This is the first I have read about benzodiazepine's effect on adenosine. I feel like I bounce between too much dopamine and not enough, but maybe I should really be looking into my adenosine levels. Amongst my many mutations, I am +/- for all of the AHCY...
  30. ktred

BH4 topic

Does anyone know if St. John's Wort has an effect on BH4? I believe that it has some MAO inhibitor effect. Also, which mutations are the most likely to cause diminished BH4? Thanks Kat