• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. X

NEW! - UK DEPT. OF HEALTH to BAN ALL ME/CFS BLOOD DONATIONS from NOV 2010 (from MEA)!

The UK 'deferral' was put in place in 1989 when a viral cause was still suspected, and has never been lifted. Is that true of any other country? In fact the 20-year deferral has often been raised by pwME as evidence that the Blood Service and DoH suspected a transmissible infection. pwME were...
  2. X

Conflicting Papers on Hold as XMRV Frenzy Reaches New Heights

The subscription article is the free version, plus the extra two patient-related paragraphs that I posted here a few days ago: http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?6083-Conflicting-Papers-on-Hold-as-XMRV-Frenzy-Reaches-New-Heights&p=99303&viewfull=1#post99303
  3. X

Conflicting Papers on Hold as XMRV Frenzy Reaches New Heights

The short version is just about the same, but the two paragraphs before the last were removed.
  4. X

Anti-XMRV Blog -New post

It took all of 2 minutes to find who writes ERV and find she is paid to write the ERV blog. So ERV doesn't slip off the hook as grad school banter any more than if it appeared in the WSJ. Smith does not conceal that she blogs as ERV. However, ERV no longer appears on a free for all...
  5. X

(Junk?) Wessely et al paper talking about revisions of ICD-10, DSM-IV, etc

Dolphin, It's about conversion disorder (hysteria), which it distinguishes from somatoform disorders in the first para: Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to post it to the library as I have fewer than 100 posts.
  6. X

Professor Simon Wessely & The Abused Child?

Caroline Richmond on ME Elliott, Journalistic articles published in medical journals are not peer-reviewed. And it's likely that the Proctor article would not have had even the level of editorial scrutiny that you would expect in a real newspaper. But the BSers think that a Canadian trade...
  7. X

Comments on Lombardi, et al in Science

Wildaisy, it happens all the time in medical journals, not unusual at all. Maybe it's not so common in this journal. It is unusual though for critics to demonstrate their misunderstanding so comprehensively.
  8. X

The FINE Trial. BMJ ARTICLE. Nurse led, home based self help treatment for patients in primary care

Medical professionals are trained not to ask questions about ME. They are using single blind here to mean the data were collected blindly. From the protocol: But I can't see any mention whether the statistical analysis was blinded, which ought to be the case.
  9. X

Another take on Evan Harris, former LibDem MP

True, Fred, Machiavelli was not noted as a nerdy obsessive sociopath. Weasel can't judge character any better than he can diagnose ME. Or he can, but he's committed to lying about both.
  10. X

Another take on Evan Harris, former LibDem MP

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre64647r-us-britain-election-science/
  11. X

*2 new* letters, Myra McClue, Annette Whittemore

The paper is not very up front that the study was run from KCL, the XMRV test merely subcontracted to ICL. It reads as if it's a fresh study, hence general amazement at how quickly it was done and published. Wessely got ethics consent years before to take and store bloods for subsequent...
  12. X

*2 new* letters, Myra McClue, Annette Whittemore

And who does she believe now? A mother fighting to save her daughter? Or a politician fighting to save his career?
  13. X

Article: An MD on the Lightning Process

I now suspect that trainees and practitioners are programmed not just to be uncritically positive about LP but also to reframe scientific and ethical criticism of LP and Mr Parker as abuse. Confronting individuals who have been conditioned to react that way is likely to reinforce the programming.
  14. X

Article: An MD on the Lightning Process

Suzy, I'm sure you didn't mean to suggest that Cort has a vested interest in LP or is even paid to promote it while pretending to be a neutral journalist. It's just that 'shill' is the Yiddish-American term for the good old British 'plant', i.e. an accomplice planted in the crowd round the stall...
  15. X

Dr MyHill's License in Jeopardy

Yes, LP is CBT on steroids, so criticism not allowed. And why are so many psychiatrists prominent as quackbusters? Wessely was a founder member of HealthWatch, Goldacre trades as Bad Science, Barrett as NCAHF. Psychiatrists have a hard time convincing the rest of the medical profession to...
  16. X

Dr MyHill's License in Jeopardy

The post tally for this thread on LP is 24. And they really really don't understand why nobody believes a word they say about being 'equal opportunity skeptics'.
  17. X

CFS etc over on Bad Science

Yes, mj rates a spin piece by a Wessely crony above the complainants. http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/Caroline_Richmond_Deja_vu.htm
  18. X

mjrobbins on Ean Proctor and his parents As Guardian blogger and Goldacre shill mjrobbins is on a fishing expedition on this forum, it's worth archiving his defamatory comments about Ean Proctor and his parents - just in case someone decides to erase them over there.
  19. X

...because you or a Guardian colleague intend to write up the Myhill hearing?
  20. X

The FINE Trial. BMJ ARTICLE. Nurse led, home based self help treatment for patients in primary care

COI and Refs for BMJ editorial In case anyone wants to follow the references. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Competing interests: All authors have completed the Unified Competing Interest form at www.icmje.org/coi_disclosure.pdf (available...
  21. X

Heart Math or Wild Divine for biofeedback

Heart rhythm meditation has the same aim as the biofeedback set-ups (among other objectives), but it doesn't use any expensive technology. The website has lots of free information, and their books and CDs are interesting and cheap. I've found it rewarding, when I remember to do it.
  22. X

Changes to ME agenda site

http://meagenda.wordpress.com/2010/02/15/changes-to-me-agenda-site/ :worried:
  23. X

Support the Whittemore Peterson Institute

There are no bank charges with PayPal for gifts, and only a small handling fee for commercial transactions. Your friends can say they want to pay $10 or 5, and and PayPal sorts the currency conversion out. It might be best if your friends give small donations to one person, who then makes a...
  24. X

Simon Wessely's latest

Psychiatrist's humiliating public self-analysis http://www.iop.kcl.ac.uk/staff/profile/?go=10206 Simon Wessely started at Cambridge, and read Art for his Part 2, developing an abiding love for Vassily Kandinsky and equal hatred for the work of Marc Chagall. Loves: squares, lines...
  25. X

CDC Research on CFS: Open Deception

CDC Research on CFS: Open Deception Posted by Mary Schweitzer on February 7, 2010 at 7:00pm http://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind1002b&L=co-cure&T=0&F=&S=&P=823 What this post contains is deliberate deception by the CDC - in refereed journal articles and when speaking to the...
  26. X

The Scotsman: Virus link to CFS 'in doubt'

You can ignore it, Joy. This story is from a month ago. No idea why it's doing the rounds just now. http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/01january/pages/virus-link-to-cfs-in-doubt.aspx
  27. X

Imperial College now offering PCR XMRV testing

Thanks George, but I can't take credit for the software. You can make your own doggy campaign slogans here: http://ruletheweb.co.uk/b3ta/bus/?s1=THERE%27S+NO+XMRV+IN+THE+UK&s2=NOW+STOP+WORRYING&s3=AND+ENJOY+YOUR+CBT