• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. S

NICEGUIDELINEBLOG = study points 95% PWCs have autoimmune disease

Very interesting. Wonder if the Norwegian doctors now of this study....
  2. S

Myra McClure and Retrovirus Contamination

Thansk for the input . Its perhaps possible but seems very unlikely to me.
  3. S

Myra McClure and Retrovirus Contamination

But how could that be that contamination effects CFS samples in a total different percentage compared to results from test persons in the healthy arm? Also a second test in Alters study gave the same positive number. This rules out contamination to my understanding.
  4. S

NEW - FDA Website Q&A on XMRV, MLV's & Alter/Lo PNAS Study outcomes

I recall that HIV is in fact 2 viruses, HIV 1 and HIV 2 with similar but not identical properties. Some tests for HIV (1) could not detect HIV (2)
  5. S

Cooperative Diagnostics PCR Test Poll For an ACTIVE Infection

Its one positive now in the poll for Cooperative XMRV. Interesting.
  6. S

Further XMRV test results from the UK

I dont know but patient selection for the study may have been in favor for active infection.
  7. S

2nd XMRV Positive in the UK

cut Thanks for posting. Good luck DysautonomiaXMRV!
  8. S

XMRV Positive in the U.K.

Great news Joyscobby! Hopefully this can be the beginning of the end of your ME/CFS. I was also planing to take the test in mid December in London but had to postpone the trip from Sweden. Did you wait long for the results?
  9. S

The Fight is on...Imperial College XMRV Study

Indeed fresh eyes. Cant be fun having to admit a possible mistake on the first comment to the study.
  10. S

The Fight is on...Imperial College XMRV Study

@ Sparklehorse. I would not expect the same rate of positives from general testing as in the study, see a some post up here. I also think 36% positive is high, 10 times more then the healthy control group. Better testing and antibody tests will probably also increase the positive number. My...
  11. S

Cooperative Diagnostics PCR Test Poll For an ACTIVE Infection

With 11 out of 11 negative it starts to look like one of the labs are getting fals results. VIP DX results are of course more in line with the results (and from other labs) behind the Science study. The fact that there was not so many positive results in the healthy controls in the original...
  12. S

New Dr Kerr Gene Expression study published

So If I got this right the CFS prevelance increased by factor 10! after CDC redefined criteria. "Critics have charged that it was irresponsible of the CDC to announce changes to the way CFS is handled clinically after limiting their study to genes that involve the way the brain handles stress...
  13. S

XMRV results

But if they also tested healthy controls and got the same ratio its hard to belive a false postiv answer theory.
  14. S

Thats an interesting story Tomk, thanks. You could say that when the broad Reeves criteria was interduced (including all kinds of tired people) all scientific efforts to study ME/CFS was domed to fail. Anyway now we have the of studies of J.Kerr et al. clearly showing how ME/CFS effect our...
  15. S

From the CDC study: "These results successfully demonstrate the utility of the blood for gene expression profiling to distinguish subjects with CFS from healthy controls and for identifying genes that could serve as CFS biomarkers." Did CDC had their own CFS-criteria at this time? Why on...
  16. S

Waiting for My VIPDx Test Results Poll

It looks like there is one more positive VIP now in the poll. (66% positive of 6 totaly in culture test)
  17. S

Klimas: Plasma cytokines in women with chronic fatigue syndrome

Thats strange, perhaps IL-8 is not best cytokine to look at. In this study IL-8 has a fairly high spread so if the number of tested persons are low one could end up with the opposit result by chance.
  18. S

CDC Gene study Guess this must be old news but i did not know that CDC had done a gene study back in 2002!? http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/publications/molecular_1.htm
  19. S

Its nice to see that this paper and dr Kerrs supporting something like a viral pathogen behind CFS :) Take a look on IL-5. All PWCFS had higher levels then the controls. Perhaps IL-5 would be the most usefull for diagnostics? .................... ME/CFS...
  20. S

Cytokines as biomarkers for CFS I could not find any post on this interesting recent study. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2779802/ "Cytokine abnormalities are common in CFS. In this study, 10 of 16 cytokines examined showed good to fair promise as biomarkers" "The...
  21. S

I guess the first paper was considered as a breakthrough in the respect that CFS was shown to be a somatic condition. The only critic I know about it was on the small number of PWCFS investigated. That would leave the sceptics something to hang on to. Now when the number of tested are fairly...
  22. S

Exactly. The study (now n=117) shows with great significance that CFS is not a depression disorder and it probably could be diganosed by lookning on gene expression that differs significant from healthy controls.
  23. S

No problem Min. You made my day with this "Gene" post thanks :)
  24. S

Quotes from the study: Expression of 88 human genes was confirmed as being significantly different between CFS/ME patients and normal controls. Gene expression in endogenous depression patients was similar to that in the normal controls. CFS/ME patients can be grouped into Genomic...
  25. S

No I mean somatic and NOT psycosomatic!
  26. S

Fantastic! J.Kerr is the best :D To my eyes this is the strongest data ever showing ME/CFS to be a somatic condition!
  27. S

emergency report from China

Sorry if this has been up earlier but how is the ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate)?
  28. S

details on XMRV Task Force at HHS

My thoughts as well. The hole concept and the action plan indicates to me that they dont doubt the XMRV findings, possible so by reconfirmation.