• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. C

CBD OIL... Anyone tried it? It's legal now.

@Tammy Do you know how much CBD (mg) your friend takes at night to help her sleep, and what brand she uses? Also, did it take her some time taking it to build to the point where she gets the results she wanted? I'm interested in trying it to help my brain heal from a concussion, and also to...
  2. C

What to do when Klonopin/Doxepin stops working?

Thanks, this is very helpful. Did you take anything else to help you sleep as you withdrew from valium? I've tried valium before for sleep, and I would wake after an hour and be wide awake the rest of the night.
  3. C

I take the doxepin as it is supposed to potentize the klonopin. It is Paul Cheney's protocol, where he recommends taking doxepin, along with 200 mg magnesium glycinate, at bed time for sleep. I'm not sure how it effects delta wave sleep. I will say I rarely go into deep sleep, and like many...
  4. C

Thanks so much. I have seen the Ashton manual, but haven't started anything yet. I've been taking 0.5mg of clonazepam at night for about 2 years, and take about 2.8mg liquid doxepin with it. I am very sensitive to everything, so I know I have to approach this right. Did you take anything to...
  5. C

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I am still taking the clonazepam and doxepin and I still want to get off of them, as I feel they are messing up my ability to recover from the concussion. I would greatly like to hear your experience. I'm particularly interested in hearing what you took to help you...
  6. C

Anyone worked with Dr. Gary Kaplan in no. Virginia?

On the 3rd video, he says he works up individual treatment plans that address multiple factors for each individual (antivirals where applicable, detox, nutrition, sleep, etc., and his book is heavy on treatments to downregulate excited microglia in the brain). He admits his clinic is successful...
  7. C

I watched the 3 videos on his website where he explains CFS/ME and describes the patients he sees in his clinic. His office says he works with lots of people with CFS/ME, but I'd like to hear for some of them if possible.
  8. C

If anyone has experience working with Dr. Gary Kaplan at the Kaplan Clinic in McLean, VA (http://www.kaplanclinic.com/), I would be very interested to hearing about your experience. He seems to have an understanding of CFS/ME, but is expensive so I would like to see how others have done working...
  9. C

Thanks. One more question: what was the Klonopin dose you were on and how long did it take you to taper off it while taking the glandulars?
  10. C

@ahmo, I typically have trouble falling back to sleep when I wake in the middle of the night. I plan to try the glandulars (have yet to receive those I ordered) to see if they help me fall asleep (and to try to get off Klonopin). Did you find taking any of these glandulars in the middle of the...
  11. C

@almo, Did you work with a doctor/healthcare practitioner on use of the glandulars or did you figure out what works on your own. I'd like to try this approach, but cautiously. Thanks!
  12. C

Interesting. I have been taking adrenal glandular in the morning for years. Can you tell me what form/brand and strength of pituitary and hypothalamus glandulars you took and what time of day you took them? Thanks.
  13. C

Thanks for the helpful info, zzz. So I assume that since the clonazepam no longer works well for me, I've developed a tolerance at the 0.5 mg level, and I really don't want to increase the dose (doesn't seem to work anyway). So the question is, would trying to substitute gabapentin for...
  14. C

I started taking clonazepam (0.5 mg) and Doxepin (~3 mg) along with 200 mg magnesium glycinate over 1 1/2 years ago. At first, the sleep meds worked very well. But in recent months, they have become less and less effective and don't seem to be doing much at all now. I've tried increasing the...
  15. C

Need suggestions for immune modulators

I am looking for any suggestions for immune modulators that will balance both TH-1 and TH-2. In addition to CFS, I have an autoimmune condition and post-concussion syndrome (which is caused by a persistent neuroinflammatory cascade in the brain brought on by head trauma). I have elevated...
  16. C

Low dose Naltrexone

Just to be clear, you are saying that your doctor told you that people with severe adrenal fatigue shouldn't take LDN? May I ask who your doctor is and where s/he is located? (you can email me privately if you'd rather not post this) I may want to contact their office to see about getting more...
  17. C

Low dose Naltrexone

Thanks so much for your reply. Can you direct me to a web page or link that talks about the LDN adrenal connection? I came across someone's post on another website recently that said you're not supposed to take adrenal glandular (or other adrenal support supplements) at the same time as LDN or...
  18. C

Why would probiotics cause post-nasal drip?

I have tried two different high potency probiotics in recent weeks and have gotten post-nasal drip from both of them. the first one was Strengtia by Apex Energetics and the second was Xymogen ProBioMax Daily DF. They both have 30 billion units but have completely different organisms. Before...
  19. C

How to reduce glutamate levels in the brain?

Thanks so much for the info. The doctor is treating me for Post Concussion Syndrome, in which the brain is inflamed and can't heal properly. I also have CFS and have had low-grade anxiety with it. I tried the curcumin (very small dose) for a few days and did notice that my head started to...
  20. C

Unfortunately, I'm not able to tolerate NAC, but I do take glycine for sleep. So I guess the glycine alone isn't helping.
  21. C

I have high levels of glutamate and dopamine in the brain and my doctor recommended theanine to reduce it. However, theanine interferes with my sleep (even small amounts taken in the morning) -- I don't go into deep sleep all night. Does anyone know of something that reduces glutamate in the...
  22. C

How to boost melatonin?

Where do you buy the blue-light blocking glasses?
  23. C

How to boost melatonin?

Thanks for all the info. I'm confused about the B12 issue. Another poster says that methyl interferes with the conversion of serotonin into melatonin. Which type of B12 are you referring to?
  24. C

How to boost melatonin?

Does anyone know how to boost melatonin without taking it (I can't take it)? My levels are very low.
  25. C

What works for mid-of-night awakenings?

1 scoop of Carlson glycine powder, mixed into a little water. It works by lowering core body temp. and helps you go into a deeper state of sleep.
  26. C

Urgent: Looking for allergy doctor in Maryland, DC or VA

I'm looking for a doctor in the Maryland, DC or northern Virginia area who offers phenol-free allergy serums. The doctor I've been using for 20 years just retired (without prior notice). I take allergy serums for molds, pollens, and inhalants and I get extremely ill and become bedridden if I...
  27. C

How to reduce vivid dreaming from Klonopin (Clonazepam)?

I've been taking .5mg Clonazepam and 3.5mg Doxepin for 5 months and it does help me sleep longer. However, I've had very long, vivid dreams every night and often wake up feeling sort of exhausted -- like I've been living the dream all night. My acupuncturist said that vivid dreaming is a sign...
  28. C

Trazadone Question

It's Pliva brand. Where can you buy Apotex brand?
  29. C

Trazadone Question

Does anyone know if you need to take Trazadone a while for it to start working? I took it one night and felt nothing, but thought it might take a few weeks to start working. I'm currently taking Clonazepam and Doxepin and looking to taper off the Doxepin, as it leaves me feeling very tired...
  30. C

Gabapentin Question

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm sure it wasn't the glycine -- I take that occasionally when I wake up too early and want to fall back to sleep. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. But I don't take it at bedtime, as it doesn't seem to help then. I'm pretty certain it was the Gabapentin that...