• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. C

"new enhanced Perrin technique" in Dublin

world class facilities...
  2. C

Anyone Else get ill after exposure to sunlight - not just the heat

I can tolerate sun during good patches, and during bad patches, I get allergic rashy blistering from even moderate exposure. Interestingly, the sun rash is accompanied by exasperated ME/CFS symptoms. This has ultimately lead me to the conclusion that CFS/ME symptoms are effectively allergic...
  3. C

ME/CFS - The opposite of psychosomatic? - (immune system affects the nervous sytem!)

Hey everyone. After 8 years fighting this thing, I'm more and more starting to understand how my body works, and how this condition affects me. I had something of a revelation today. (though Im sure its been discussed before) Anyway.... __________ (brief background) My health has...
  4. C

I tested Negative

Maybe they should offer a discount on new tests for people who have previously been tested with them.
  5. C

UK ME patient mom on trial in January for aiding assisted suicide

What can people do to show support for Kay?
  6. C

How Do You Come Down From a Herx?

I had never heard of it, but this is fascinating stuff.
  7. C

5 good & 5 bad! Add your own...

I thought this thread would be just a bit of fun but it's actually proving very interesting and useful :) Cheers all!
  8. C

Simon Wessely on XMRV

New thread is here: http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?p=17072#post17072
  9. C

Simon Wessely. XMRV. Discussion.

Hi everyone. A couple of weeks ago, I emailed Professor Simon Wessely of Kings College London, asking him for a response to the XMRV breakthrough in Nevada. I pasted his reply here, but he requested that I not publish his words without permission. In summary though, he said that he found...
  10. C

Simon Wessely on XMRV

Hi Holmsey. As suggested by Koan, I've created a new thread where hopefully people can discuss Prof Wessely in relation to the XMRV breakthrough, and do so without resorting to long winded tit-for-tat arguments. As a "free thinker" and skeptic, I enjoy respectful debate on any subject, and...
  11. C

Simon Wessely on XMRV

Really disappointed to see this thread digress off topic so much.
  12. C

Please give up coffee! I can hardly smell it without feeling ill.
  13. C

I'm sorry

Heheh the thread title made me giggle. It reminded me of a cheesy song I wrote for my then girlfriend a few years ago called "You're Really Nice". One of the verses went: You're really pretty, you dress nice every day. You have good taste in music, except for Keane and Coldplay. If...
  14. C

5 things which help you, and 5 things that make you worse, if you please! :) OK here goes... Good! Hot Milk Electric blanket Vegetating with mind-numbing tv 9 hours sleep Mouthwash! Bad! Long hours staring at a computer screen Naughty things like cigarettes or alcohol...
  15. C

Sex and FM and ME/CFS

Sex is the last thing on my mind when I'm really ill. The return of my libido is usually the first sign for me that I'm coming out of a "bad patch". I'm male by the way. Regarding intercourse, I have on more than one occasion pushed myself too hard when not feeling well, and the result was...
  16. C

Irish Cancer research. Late 2009.

Not necessarily CFS/ME/XMRV related, but I thought some of you here would find this interesting. and ...
  17. C

? for those who feel "totally healthy" out of the blue

Interesting what Victoria said about bowel movements. Often, eating a large meal will make me feel like hell, and during a bad patch, my appetite gets really low. Likewise, I remember the morning of my colonoscopy a couple of years ago. I had taken laxatives, and dieted for around 20...
  18. C

Hot milk anyone?

it's so simple but has been a huge help for me over 8 years. I get significant relief from drinking hot milk when I'm sick. I usually put in a half spoon of sugar or, preferably, honey. It helps not one but most of my symptoms. It warms me up, improves my concentration, eases headache...
  19. C

ME/CFS Documentary

Good luck with the documentary. Keep us posted on your progress please!
  20. C

Meet the CDC CFS Cohort

I'm astonished. This is so shameful.
  21. C

XMRV in the Blood Supply? - WPI to begin testing

Wowzer! Things are getting interesting.
  22. C

Simon Wessely on XMRV

and finally.. Finally, my response to PSW, which I own copyright to :D
  23. C

Simon Wessely on XMRV

Hello everyone. I today received an email from Simon Wessely, who noted that a quote from his email to me found its way on to the Co Cure website. For what it's worth, I am not a member of the Co Cure forum, but will sign up today to try and find the relevant thread. He claims that he...
  24. C

DeFreitas 1991 Retrovirus/CFS Study

Fascinating thread. Has anyone been able to get in contact with Elaine DeFreitas since XMRV-gate?
  25. C

Help needed. Text for YouTube video.

Hi guys. I'm planning on making a brief but detailed collection of 3 or 4 ten minute videos for YouTube. They will be text based, with images and background music. They'll give an overview of CFS/ME, outline some of the scandal and controversy around it, and conclude with information on...
  26. C

"XMRV is Not CFS" From Mary Schweitzer

As I've always seen it, CFS is an umbrella term for ME, fibromyalgia, unexplained chronic fatigue, and some other conditions. (now including XAND perhaps) I've never liked the term CFS, though I sometimes use it to describe myself to lay people who have never heard of ME. I imagine if it...
  27. C

Significance of XMRV Cortisol Receptors

I imagine most ME/CFS patients react badly to stress, much worse than healthy people. Since having ME/CFS, stress has always made me feel ill, sometimes quite suddenly and dramatically. Emotional turmoil such as heartache or grievance can impact my health very heavily. I actually have to...
  28. C

Coming to America for XMRV

Email I received this evening following an enquiry about Dr Enlander coming to Ireland.
  29. C

VIP Dx/WPI PCR Test Poll for an ACTIVE Infection

Looking forward to seeing how this poll develops.
  30. C

Coming to America for XMRV

I emailed Dr Enlander, asking about the possibility of XMRV testing in UK/Ireland. If I get a response, I'll be sure to post it here. Alternatively, I would also be interested in traveling to USA for testing, so I'll keep an eye on this thread.