• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. I

Immunoadsorption to remove ß2 adrenergic receptor antibodies in CFS/ME.

I am inquiring why plasmapheresis was not done alone since it is less expensive and more widely available, and no trials to date have this modality for CFS (that I know of). It would have also made for an excellent control group. Crossover just means a placebo group and the active group switch...
  2. I

Immunoadsorption to remove ß2 adrenergic receptor antibodies in CFS/ME.

Plasmapheresis depletes IgG globally so they were replenishing it after the trial had been completed. None of the patients completely recovered. They could have used a non-elution comparator as a placebo or saline vehicle with crossover at six months. The reason this was not done is because...
  3. I

Neuroinflammation in the Brain of Patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

It requires more funding than the entire United States budget probably. Their older paper is available in English if you would like to read it.
  4. I

Tofacitinib (Xeljanz)

It could help the subset he described, because he has access to all their pertinent information. But it cannot be applied to a population at large. JAK-STAT inhibition creates an environment conducive to CFS, not vice-versa. The most promising failed drugs for CFS (Ampligen, Staphypan...
  5. I

why aren't mono patients put on anti-virals?

Threefold - evidence base didn't exist at the time and presently, ACV was never approved for that specific indication (and it never will be) so its off-label use is required, and I guarantee some newly graduated doctors do if they have taken virology. The licensing exams for doctors will have a...
  6. I

How can we help accelerate Dr Naviaux's ME/CFS Suramin trial?

Thanks for the update. Please start a new thread @dreamydays and I will answer your question there.
  7. I

treatment for low NK cells -- Imunovir?

If you have a moment, could you ask your physician why they do not infuse NK cells directly? If they are confident that it is a problem. It is Stanford.
  8. I

Acetylcholine Induced MAJOR LONG-TERM FATIGUE!!!

Because lowering estrogen will lower cholinergic transmission, in the brain, where it counts. This is not fool proof because the side effects of anti-E's are high too.
  9. I

Ponderings and speculations about purinergic signaling, in pursuit of a unified ME/CFS theory

Apyrase is patented (a non-patented version would be eliminated too quickly from circulation I assume). It does not have first-in-human testing done yet, Astra Zeneca has the rights and they have not started recruiting for phase I for stroke. AZ will refuse an IND for CFS even if applied for and...
  10. I

Ponderings and speculations about purinergic signaling, in pursuit of a unified ME/CFS theory

ATP is the primary ligand for the receptor discussed here. Viral infection can cause dysregulation of ATP via intracellular calcium modulation.The usual suspects for CFS increase Ca2+ and ATP. These intracellular molecules are not modern drug targets. From Viruses as Modulators of...
  11. I

Instead of treating this point in the cascade, with suramin, which has a Ki antagonism for anti-P2x which there is no evidence is occurring in CFS patients more than every illness, why not take the direction of the original authors of a similar theory, or treat with NK or T-cells? Suramin is a...
  12. I

How can we help accelerate Dr Naviaux's ME/CFS Suramin trial?

Thank you for sharing. You did not notice an infusion reaction, correct? That was the most glaring mistake in the trial.
  13. I

options for testosterone off-insurance

Second compounding pharmacy. My shady for profit TRT clinic was only $200 a month. T alone was exceptionally rough, the entire treatment was, consider a very small dose of anastrozole weekly to see if you tolerate it.
  14. I

The spread of EBV to ectopic lymphoid aggregates may be the final common pathway in the pathogenesis

Is there a single unifying cause of depression? Multiple Sclerosis? These all have subsets but no known etiology. The leading idea, PDH certainly will not explain fast-onset CFS, they have not even attempted to reconcile it. I addressed this already, but it is critical to point out that...
  15. I

The spread of EBV to ectopic lymphoid aggregates may be the final common pathway in the pathogenesis

Its effect would be countered by the cortisol administered, and only one in a million B-cells are infected with EBV. Also, Rituximab depletes B-cells when the b-cell response to EBV is already suboptimal, further compounding the problem. You could do a lymph biopsy but it is not necessary...
  16. I

What is your personal theory or understanding of ME/CFS?

If it is anti-muscarinic antibodies at CNS synapses, that's really bad news. It would explain the gender imbalance in CFS, that's monoclonal therapy territory and not even at pre-clinical phase. Scopolamine and amantadine would not help because of their adverse effects. Depression researchers...
  17. I

What is your personal theory or understanding of ME/CFS?

CFS is due persistent viral infection in vulnerable circuits of fatigue detection leading to avoidance behavior, areas near the blood brain barrier which is defective due to an environmental insult. I am just going to repeat it until someone with money listens. There's leaky gut, autoimmune...
  18. I

Dr Martin Lerner's abortive infection theory of ME/CFS

Thanks for your welcome to the forum. I’m on my phone so this isn’t as lucid as normal. Sorry for the mix-up - yes, I’m glad Valcyte works for some but it is crude (both adverse and efficacy) and expensive. Roger, I was referring to suramin. The leading candidates for treatment in CFS are...
  19. I

Dr Martin Lerner's abortive infection theory of ME/CFS

Note that only one a million B-cells is infected with EBV at all, while native T-cell dysregulation (the genetic / environmental component) causes less clearance within the CNS compartment of EBV and proliferation of even uninfected B-cells. This is why Rituximab is not the greatest monotherapy...