• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Busson

Hypoglycemia symptoms without actual hypoglycemia (could it be a hypokalemia issue instead)?

It may be better not to focus only on hypoglycemia because its symptoms can be mimicked by other causes. Hypoglycemia causes its adverse effects by not having enough energy in the cell. However there are other failing pathways in the body which might prevent sufficient energy in the cell and...
  2. Busson

High Quality B12

Yes, Greg is a bit of a mad scientist. He's technically very good and his oils work well for me but he can be a bit abupt when it comes to customer care. If you ask him again while making sure he hasn't misread your original email then you might get some useful info. It's not like him to...
  3. Busson

Tips for Finding Reliable Prescription-Free Online Pharmacies

@heapsreal Thanks for that useful info. I see AllDayChemist is in India. Do you know how long it takes to receive meds from them in the UK?
  4. Busson

Is there a good B complex supplement that helps, esp. with neurotransmitters ?

@Bansaw If Metformin is giving you trouble (as it did to me) then there are other classes of diabetes medication which may be suitable, such as the gliptins. A doctor will be able to help choose. I personally find a B-complex gives me a boost but that doesn't seem connected to my old...
  5. Busson

Tips for Finding Reliable Prescription-Free Online Pharmacies

Where can I buy online antibiotics (such as doxycycline, ciprofloxacin, metronidazole, co-amoxeclav, etc) without a prescription? I am in the UK and expect I will have to buy from abroad. I respond unexpectedly well to antibiotics in general and wonder if I have an abscess somewhere that my...
  6. Busson

Seek vitamin B Complex with only a little folic acid.

Those doses on "B Minus" are very good for my purposes but it's expensive for B vitamins (even allowing for the fact it provides B2 and B6 in activated form). I couldn't afford it twice or three times a day on my budget.
  7. Busson

Seek vitamin B Complex with only a little folic acid.

I'm seeking a vitamin B Complex with only a little folic acid. I want to take a B Complex several times a day but most have the full RDA of folic acid in each tablet. I would like a low dose of the other vitamins too as I willt ake it several times. Prefereably from Amazon UK. Thanks for any...
  8. Busson

B12

Four mg injected methyl-B12 daily is a huge amount. Perhaps there are some absorption problems which make such a dose necessary. Methyl-B12 is only one of several co-factors required by various reactions along the methylation pathway and it may be that the depletion of other co-factors are the...
  9. Busson

B Complex makes me angry

Personally, I find the doses in which B vitamins (in a B-complex or otherwise) are sold are often too high. It is common to find B-1 thiamine or B-2 riboflavin sold in 100mg tablets but I can't tolerate that amount. The usual intake of these is 1 or 2mg. Those prepared doses are huge and the...
  10. Busson

Very noticeable improvements in brain fog using Dr Greg Russell-Jones's transdermal B12 oils (which provide a similar dose to B12 injections)

@Hip I once came across liquid adenosylB12 in a bottle made of Miron glass. Turns out Miron glass is designed to actually let through "beneficial" UV light but I believe that's exactly the sort of light which degrades B12. See here...
  11. Busson

Very noticeable improvements in brain fog using Dr Greg Russell-Jones's transdermal B12 oils (which provide a similar dose to B12 injections)

@brenda Surprising that hydroxoB12 injections did little for you. Sometimes B12 pathways are defective and the active forms (methylB12 and perhaps adenoB12 too) are more effective. However hydroxoB12 injections should have done something useful even if it wasn't much.
  12. Busson

Has anyone tried "Transdermal B12 Spray" from https://www.salesatdrmyhill.co.uk/transdermal-b12-spray-50ml-48-p.asp ? It seems good value at £11.50 for 50ml compared to the oil but only if it works! Any experiences?
  13. Busson

Advice on ordering supplements from US for delivery in UK.

Has anyone here found a good supplier of Swanson supplements in the UK? After the collapse of Health Monthly at the beginning of 2021, I would prefer a UK-based supplier. I've seen the name Dolphin Fitness a few times but the rports I read are mixed with some very good and some very bad...
  14. Busson

B-12 - The Hidden Story

The only references for that I could find are for plants. Is potassium is a magnesium antagonist in humans? I have heard of patients short of potassium to take magnesium at the same time as potassium supplements because the magnesium assists with the retention of potassium. However I think you...
  15. Busson

WARNING - LOW POTASSIUM IS DANGEROUS

@Hip Low potassium with methylB12 is a startup effect (according to those who attribute it to "refeeding syndrome" as the body gets back to normal). However after years of taking B12 I find it still occurs. Others suggest low potassium is due to methylB12 causing raised adrenalin which causes...
  16. Busson

Episodic Paralysis? low potassium may be an issue

An unexpected thing is that the symptoms of high or low potassium are broadly similar to one another. It might be worth adding that the problem can lie not in the TOTAL amount of potassium in the body (98% of potassium lies inside the cell where it is ineffective) but on the way potassium both...
  17. Busson

Hypokalemia

@Jyoti @Neunistiva When hypokalemia becomes severe it can cause profound muscle stiffness which results in pain on stretching muscles resulting in a mild form of paralysis. Many of those who suffer from this "Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis" can trace it back to a genetic defect although there...
  18. Busson

Transdermal B12 oils

@Kathevans I recently applied to join that Facebook group but can't see the site when I go back. Is it open only certain hours on those days you mentioned? If so, what are the opening times in GMT?
  19. Busson

Active B12 Protocol Basics

@pamojja That's a very impressive list of supplements in your link. Now I know why you're so expert on buying supplements, as discussed in another thread here recently. I too used to take that number of supplements when I was looking to improve an inherited metabolic disease, such as MELAS, a...
  20. Busson

What is your understanding of the methylation cycle trap or blockage?

@Pyrrhus That's a remarkable finding in the research paper about unconverted B6 from a high dose blocking the active form. I looked to see if this finding had been replicated in other studies but couldn't find much. In fact the original study here seems to have gone unnoticed as it is not cited...
  21. Busson

For anyone interested, I notice Greg's methylB12 oil is available from BrainStormHealth in the UK, although it's currently out of stock. I haven't seen anyone re-sell his oils before but it could be a useful way of buying it for some people.
  22. Busson

Are any additional taxes and duties now payable after Brexit on UK imports of Greg's oils? I seem to recall they were classified in a way not to attract additional charges but I believe Brexit has made formerly exempt items not subject to charges.
  23. Busson

Advice on ordering supplements from US for delivery in UK.

Has anyone used UK-based Medino for supplements? I have never heard of them but their adverts are everywhere. Their prices seem good and the reviews are (literally) unbelievable with a 4.95 rating based on 7,000 reviews Should I be suspicious?
  24. Busson

The plausibility of NAC inducing b12 deficiency or 'methyl-trap'

What are the implications of depleted glutathione from taking frequent acetaminophen (UK: paracetamol) painkillers? Glutathione binds to toxic by-products of acetaminophen and neutralises them. When there is no more glutathione then acetaminophen's toxic by-products will cause damage. Would...
  25. Busson

@Hip That's a more cautious timeframe than I would have guesstimated. I have read some points of view that very little water is absorbed by the skin when bathing and any skin wrinkling is not due to water but a nerve response although I can't say if this is true or not. I suppose I could apply...
  26. Busson

How to understand Freddd

@seamyb I believe a poster called Ahmo wrote "A [Not so] Concise Guide to Freddd’s Protocol June 2014" and Maartens once wrote "My Understanding of Freddd's Protocol". I am not sure if these are still available. Both were PDF documents. Their existence does point to the fact that you're not...
  27. Busson

Moisture on the skin is said to adversely affect absorption of B12 oil. How long after showering (assuming that's how you take it) do people wait before applying B12 oil?
  28. Busson

@Pyrrhus That article has the caveat at the end that this is an in vitro study and may not translate fully to in vivo but let's assume it does. How does this match up with one poster's (Freddd) comments on this forum that NAC, which replenishes glutathione, gave him so much trouble that he...
  29. Busson

The plausibility of NAC inducing b12 deficiency or 'methyl-trap'

@Pyrrhus The defects in CblC (MMACHC) occur early enough along the pathway to cause both methylmalonic aciduria and homocystinuria, though not necessarily equally. I haven't heard CblC affects the conversion between adenoB12 and methylB12. I believe it is the most common of the cobalamin...
  30. Busson

@Pyrrhus I have a note copied from somewhere saying the original folate trap papers were in 1962. "Interrelations of vitamin B12 and folic acid metabolism: folic acid clearance studies" by Herbert & Zalusky https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC291041/ "On folic acid, vitamin B12...