• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. B

Lipkin Study Press Conference 18th Sept

It would be nice to be able to double quote when you want to. I havent heard anyone explain how Dr. M got EMs of budding viruses yet. I did get the impression from Lipkin, cant remember if it was the press conference or TWIV, that he said something about other retroviruses are not ruled out...
  2. B

Rich, you might want to start a separate thread on this genetic immune dysfunction/childhood infections topic. I'm guessing there are a lot of us here. I had a severe emotional trauma followed by chicken pox and then measles when I was 3. Had frequent earaches, tonsilitis, strep throat as a...
  3. B

I'm always very impressed with Lipkin. He didnt get where he is without being really smart, good at the science, a good administrator/leader and politically astute. He clearly shielded Drs. Mikovitz and Ruscetti. It makes me a little concerned about what deals were made behind the scenes but at...
  4. B

Any news on Lipkin study?

Last I heard, the Lipkin study was to come out on Apr 28 which is tomorrow, Saturday. Any rumors that it will happen soon?
  5. B

Fingerprint loss spreading to palm

I know that there are a lot of people with CFS who have fingerprint loss, about 50% is what I've read. I was curious if anyone else has noticed that it spread down the fingers to the palm.
  6. B

Fingerprint loss spreading to palm

I took a good look at my palms and noticed that the loss of palm print has increased since I last took a good look. I know that my fingerprint loss started at least 20 years ago because I was fingerprinted for a job and questioned about why my fingerprints looked like I was trying to remove my...
  7. B

HGRVs - Constructive general discussion - for exploring HGRV research

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm not up to trying to sort out all the details of the PRC and antibody studies but I appreciate that you are trying, especially the prostate cancer work. My question is that as far as I understand it, Dr. Mikovits said that she had isolated a GRV from a CFS...
  8. B

Healthy until contracted ME/CFS?

Both of my parents are still alive at 87 and 82, so they must have some good genes but they both had rheumatic fever as children and have a lot of allergies. My mom also has asthma. Dad has IBS. Both have serious mental health problems. My parents divorced when I was almost 4 and my mom...
  9. B

Dr. Lipkin's Study

Can somebody explain to me what the Lipkin study will be looking at and how it will be done? Will it be XMRV only or looking for a wider range of HGRVs?
  10. B

Looks Like Emory Found It~~~Good News!!!!!

I do think this study is good news but from what I can understand of the article, they did not find XMRV in any patient populations. They created XMRV pseudoviruses and studied how mice reacted to them. It is pretty technical stuff, way over my head, but it sounds like standard retrovirus...
  11. B

Big Mistake, Conspiracy, or Nothing Unusual?

I like this thread and the fact it was spun off. It is kind of hard to keep my perspective when I get scared by news like this latest recombinative virus/vaccine stuff. Molly Ivins had a rule of thumb that went something like - if it can be explained by greed or stupidity then those are more...
  12. B

Lancet Article by Gkikas Magiorkinis:April 2011

Yeah, I think there may be some stuff in The River about the Punta Gorda outbreak or was that Osler's Web I'm confused with? He did a lot of investigating weird outbreaks of the 50's, 60's and 70's in trying to track down the first cases of AIDS. That was my first introduction to a lot of things...
  13. B

The River by Edward Hooper Have any of you read The River by Edward Hooper. He spent 7 years investigating the theory that HIV was accidently introduced into people by polio vaccines grown on monkey and chimp kidneys and tested in Africa. Very interesting book even if the theory is incorrect...
  14. B

I was really surprised to see this article in a journal as mainstream as Lancet. I read it as basically agreeing with Dr. Deckoff-Jones that the recombination article doesnt mean the end of XMRV, it opens up a whole new can of worms about what has been going on in labs passing human tissue...
  15. B

Proteins of the XMRV retrovirus Christopher Carter

Protein Homology I read the Wikipedia article on Molecular Homology to try to understand more about the technique the paper uses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_mimicry It sounds like it is fairly new but has found autoimmune mechanisms in HIV and MS. It sure sounds like it could be...
  16. B

Lisa Sanders - Every Patient Tells a Story

I was at the Texas Book Festival on Sat (2nd time I made it there in the 10 years they've been holding it) and ran into a friend who was on his way to see Lisa Sanders author of Every Patient Tells a Story and medical consultant for the TV show House, so I went along. It was a good talk but she...