• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. P

Relationship between adrenal fatigue and glutamate release / NMDA hyperactivation

Mood stabilizing drugs lamotrigine and olanzapine increase expression and activity of glutathione s-transferase in primary cultured rat cerebral cortical cells http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304394009003000
  2. P

Relationship between adrenal fatigue and glutamate release / NMDA hyperactivation

I've tried everything on that list but Memantine. I think you should put klonopin on that list right!? Also, curcumin seemed to help depression and mental anxiety but it felt really stimulating to the body, it felt like maybe it was hard on my body.... I would like to try it out for a while...
  3. P

I just use .25mg klonopin every once in a while, there are a few threads on it if you use the search function. Klonopin may develop tolerance in some, but other stay at the same dose. I am observant of that so I do not want to rely on klonopin until I exhaust other options. Gabapentin could...
  4. P

I would use memantine to stop excitotoxicity symptoms. By that I mean severe tinnitus, overactive brain etc. A real biggie is even meditation is too hard on my brain, it causes severe anxiety and depression 8 hours or so later like clockwork. It was not like this at all when this illness...
  5. P

By the way, I find that klonopin is the only thing doing anything for me and my nmda overstimulation symptoms. Its also helping with depression a lot too. I only take it once a week so far but I notice the effect for about 4 days, and it makes sense because the half life o the drug is like 40...
  6. P

Yeah methylphenidate stimulates adrenalin, which can help the immune system. When I was living in a moldy basement in college when these symptoms first arose I felt terribly depressed, low energy, couldn't concentrate, etc. I found that by playing online poker I felt better. I would get huge...
  7. P

The most frustrating thing is that I was doing pretty bad 2 years ago when I first had my big crash, but I did an hour of meditation a day for 2 months straight and took zinc every night and physically recovered A LOT. Then I found methylation supplements and physically did great. But now, I...
  8. P

Oh yeah, I am trying gabapentin and so far it seems to do absolutely nothing. I think the only reason I have seen a little bit of difference is because I am taking klonopin 1 time a week and I think it helps a bit. I don't want to do it daily until I have exhausted all other options though. I...
  9. P

I'm one who is struggling pretty bad with this symptom too. I was doing well and had zero excitotoxicity symptoms when I was doing methylation and had my glutathione up. I was able to go on hour long hikes and they made me feel better, not worse. However, methylation caused me severe...
  10. P

"Brain retraining for ME" reminds me of witchdoctors/quacks and syphillis

I agree with your vibe silver. However, the one interesting thing for me is that when I first got this illness I was able to keep my health from degrading by doing nothing but doing meditation focusing on reduced breathing rate for a full hour per day. That, combined with 11 hours of sleep a...
  11. P

Chelation before methylation protocol?

I am also interested in chelation, I definitely think I have mercury problems.
  12. P

citalopram or amitryptilline

I have taken both these drugs. I am much more sensitive now as I have gotten worse and I cannot tolerate either of them anymore. However, they both helped a lot. Amitriptyline is definitely more gentle. I would say go for that, and start out at half a ten mg tablet per day. Then up it to...
  13. P

Anyone else have problems with oats?

I eat oatmeal every day. I went gluten free, and thought it was better, but it wasn't. I did however, find that anything with corn or peanuts makes me feel bad.
  14. P

Ringing in ears

I just got it after visiting las vegas. I must have been sensitive to some toxin in the environment is my guess. Anyway, I all of a sudden got SEVERE ringing in the ears, and untreated it didn't go away. Severe depression and anxiety came with it. So far I am using gabapentin and it has...
  15. P

Excitotoxicty,NMDA, help guide treatment?

Hey Dufresne, I'm both really sorry and glad that I am talking to someone with very similar symptoms as mine. About the zinc, it causes severe excitotoxicity in me now. When I take it at night, the next day I get really bad anxiety and depression. When I was doing a lot better when I first...
  16. P

I see what you are saying. For me my back is kind of against a wall though. I had severe anxiety and depression and LOUD constant never ending ear ringing. Basically it made me feel psychotic. My brain hurt like it was electrocuting itself. It was an extreme symptom that needed instant...
  17. P

Doing the best I can though. Wish a doctor could help but I wouldn't trust my life to them at this point. Only a few docs in the country I would do whatever they said.
  18. P

Hey Dufresne, Its nice to be able to find a few people out there like me. Believe it or not, your meditation experience is maybe the 3rd person I have ever actually read about that is similar to mine. The only thing is that meditation may increase excitotoxicity symptoms temporarily, but...
  19. P

Complete anhedonia (loss of feelings) as a ME symptom. Anyone else who has it?

I just think the way redo feels is more related to autistic cognitive dysfunction than any sort of depression. Anyway, Yes methylation supplements made me cognitive dysfunction worse while making me physically better. EXCEPT hydroxy b12 and fish oil both cleared the brain fog a bit. How do...
  20. P

In terms of treatment, fish oil helped a bit. Hydroxy b12 was a little energizing and brain fog clearing (but not good for me long term). samE, stimulants, I wish I knew..... I was exactly like you for a year and a half before I recently crashed and now I am clear as ever but really depressed...
  21. P

I can see what you are saying here. But when you put it that way, then it is required that we define autistics as depressed. If the cognitive dysfunction leading to anhedonia in ME is depression, than by that definition I would argue that all autistics are "depressed". It just doesn't make...
  22. P

Yeah I would also disagree that blunted emotions is a sign of depression. More likely I would argue it is a sign that depression is under control, and that the underlying cause is still causing inflammatory reactions in the brain. A lot of people with successfully controlled bipolar depression...
  23. P

I had this. I was taking b12 d3 folic acid fish oil. All these things helped my physical crash threshold, I could be very active with no reprocussions except just increased cognitive dysfunction. I decided I didn't like feeling completely emotionless, so I stopped all supplements. It took 10...
  24. P

Hmmm.... interesting nielk. I am the agitated/depressed type of cfs/me. I do better when my brain is calm, even brain fog is welcoming. All the supplements that I do that help me actually increased my brain fog: folic acid, b12, vitamin d3, low dosage celexa. I will have to think about...
  25. P

Thanks nielk. Yeah, I definitely regard klonopin as a last resort. So far I have only taken .125mg's on two occasions, and the effects are definitely noticeable. The bad thing though, is that I feel it is just enabling me to push my body more, and not really much positive. The gabapentin I...
  26. P

So I took 300mg nac and it has caused diarrhea. So far the ganapentin at 300mg.takes the edge off the anxiety and depression and tinnitus, but not much. I think I want to switch to lamictal for more of an antidepressive effect. I also think working on the gut would help a lot and I have...
  27. P

The thing that just doesn't make sense to me though is that I can't even meditate without my brain going crazy. If I meditate in the morning, at night my brain will be freaking out and racing, as well as increased feeling like my brain is actually electrocuting itself. I just have to think...
  28. P

So I have done a bit of reading and trying to put all the pieces together. In short, I think my cfs looks very similar to a lot of peoples, but my underlying reason for it is much different. I think my underlying reason is the kindling theory. My multiple frontal lobe concussions have caused...
  29. P

Self submitted to hospital for depression?

Wow that sounds pretty terrible.... Oh my gosh
  30. P

Self submitted to hospital for depression?

So, I recently went through a pretty hard event on my body that caused me to get severely depressed. I am now taking it easy and the depression is going away, thank god, as well as my family for being there. This brings me to ask a question, if somebody had severe depression with this...