• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. A

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

I wonder if this product would be of benefit...
  2. A

Richard did see improvements in sinus problems once he'd added in 3 probiotics. http://freetheanimal.com/2014/02/probiotics-component-obesity.html
  3. A

So far I haven't experienced the vivid dreams other people have noted (I have dreams but they're usually pretty vague). So last week I decided to take 1 Tbs of PS an hour before bed (in addition to 1 Tbs I had earlier in the day) and ended up having a very disturbed night and was very hot. The...
  4. A

This might go towards explaining the benefits on thyroid hormones... http://chriskresser.com/the-thyroid-gut-connection
  5. A

Login to your account and go to https://www.23andme.com/you/explorer/ copy and paste rs601338 into the box where it says "a SNP" and then click on "go"
  6. A

FWIW, both of my parents are AA for this gene.
  7. A

Partial Biotinitase Deficiency, 23andme Test, BTD GENE POLL?

It turns out that my dad is GG (normal) and my Mum is is CG.
  8. A

Just wondering how many people here are FUT2 non-secretors? The gene FUT2 is responsible for producing fucose which is basically food for beneficial bacteria in the gut. 20% of Caucasians are non-secretors (including me) which means we're resistant to some infections such as norovirus and HIV...
  9. A

I was curious to know if bifidobacteria had any effect on glutathione so I did a search and came up with this excellent blog I'd never seen before. It looks like bifidobacteria aren't that special at producing glutathione however they do work very well to prevent vitamin C oxidation...
  10. A

Effect of Soaking Solution Concentration on Resistant Starch and Oligosaccharide Content of Adzuki, Fava, Lima and Mung Bean Legume starches are typically more resistant to digestion than various other starches, rendering them low glycemic index foods, and potential substrates for beneficial...
  11. A

First of all I went to Waitrose and couldn't find it anywhere, looked in all the sections I could think of, baking, gravy, "free from." So I popped along to H&B and bought the potato flour and it looks like you might be right. It sank to the bottom of the glass. :)
  12. A

Does anyone know if this potato flour from Holland and Barrett is RS? I plan on going to Waitrose today to buy the Kockens stuff and these two shops are really near each other so I thought I'd see about buying both kinds to try them out.
  13. A

Partial Biotinitase Deficiency, 23andme Test, BTD GENE POLL?

My Dad has some sort of undiagnosed pain syndrome and over a year ago I ordered the Genova OAT test which showed up many deficiencies including Biotin. So far I'm the only one in the family who has signed up for 23andme however my parents will be doing the test soon. I've gone through my own...
  14. A

emf bed canopies

It's so difficult to know, there was one study with autistic kids who started dumping metals when they were taken away from EMFs... http://www.dirtyelectricity.ca/autism_and_emf.htm http://www.dirtyelectricity.ca/images/EMR-Autism-ACNEM-final.pdf
  15. A

emf bed canopies

Brenda, I signed up to the EMF bootcamp that Jack Kruse put together and the engineer was concerned about these canopies because they are fairly close to the body and might actually act as an antenna, also there's something about the way it's covered with fabric means you can't ground it. You...
  16. A

Copper - Your Hair Mineral Test

Morley "Magnesium Man" Robbins said that magnesium is needed to bind ceruloplasmin to copper "Folks, be very careful about Copper... One of the great ravaging forces in many bodies is "unbound" Copper, which is a heavy metal in that form. Oh man, what's he talking about now?!?... Turns out...
  17. A

Please Help, Neuropathy Getting bad.

Apparently some soft drinks in America also contain brominated vegetable oil (BVO) which in itself can cause major health problems. "After consuming several drinks daily containing BVO, some people have reported symptoms including loss of muscle coordination, memory loss, headache and fatigue...
  18. A

My nutreval results, expert comments needed

You also need thyroid hormones for delta 6 desaturase activity. Hypothyroidism could also be causing all/many of the symptoms you describe. This could be caused by various nutritional deficiencies such as iodine, selenium and B12. I highly recommend you read the links in this document:-...
  19. A

Burning Muscle Pain

According to Dr Jack Kruse, the problems with EMFs go back many decades when homes were getting electricity, artificial light, radios, TVs and so on. Technology has been growing exponentially along with disease since then.
  20. A

Burning Muscle Pain

Fred, I've been reading up on the effects of pulsed EMFs such as those from mobile phones, cordless phones, Wifi and electrical items in general. Decades ago Dr Frey found that using pulsed EMFs caused the BBB to open up to allow a blue tracer dye into the brains of rats. More recent...
  21. A

B2 I love you!

I've ordered hair tests from mineralcheck.com who are based in the UK and use Trace Elements as the lab (ie they don't wash the hair).
  22. A

Nutreval Help? I hope it's alright..

My mum started eating meat for the first time in 20-odd years on the 1st of this year and nearly a week ago started the Big Ass Breakfast (BAB, 3 rashers of bacon and 3 eggs). From that day on she hasn't needed to sleep in the afternoon. She sleeps very badly and wakes up feeling very tired...
  23. A

I make fermented ketchup and you wouldn't really notice the difference. You can also make fermented mayo, mustard etc but I haven't tried these things yet. Some people with gut problems find that eating raw meat and fish easier to digest than cooked. I recommend reading Jack Kruse's blog...
  24. A

Do you think he could have malabsorption? If this is the case then fermented food and drink might help such as sauerkraut, kombucha and kefir.
  25. A

Is your son eating much meat? The carnosine is very low and this isn't good. It's even lower than my Dad's who is vegetarian. "Interestingly, the paleolithic diet is quite high in carnosine. Recently, carnosine elevation has shown to increase telomere length and to directly combat glycation...
  26. A

Low carb/ketogenic diet for ME: rationale, evidence, experiences?

I've been reading Dr Jack Kruse's blog for the last couple of weeks and he talks a lot about ketogenic diets and also Cold Thermogenesis (CT). Here are a few things I remember him talking about:- The transition to low carb should be done slowly. There was someone on the forum who was having...
  27. A

Is fatty liver and raised liver enzymes a B12 problem ?

Has anyone been reading Dr Jack Kruse's blog? He talks about various things including leptin resistance, DNA methylation, fatigue, inflammation and non alcoholic fatty liver disease. Here are a few links to get started:- http://www.jackkruse.com/chapter-one-on-leptin/...
  28. A

ADENOSYLCOBALAMIN, THE VERY LARGE GORILLA IN THE ROOM

You can download it here but I can't find any mention of boron. http://www.hy-ls.org/index.php/hyls/article/download/92/74
  29. A

23andme test results

I don't know if doctors generally test for K2. I know that Metametrix tests for undercarboxylated osteocalcin and high levels mean a deficiency of K2. There was a woman with dupuytren's and ledderhose who found improvements when taking the anti-malarial drug Malarone. I know that it's often...
  30. A

23andme test results

Steve, Peyronie's is associated with soft tissue calcification and excessive collagen production. It's very related to Dupuytren's contracture which is something my dad has. Soft tissue calcification can be caused by a vitamin K2 deficiency although most of the research has been in relation...