• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. J

who says it takes an average of 5 years to get a cfs diagnosis?

I have seen some claims that it takes an average of 5 years to get a CFS diagnosis. I'm trying to find a 'better than' anecdotal source for this. In fighting my SSDI claim, there's been a sense that the time between my leaving work, and getting the diagnosis is too long. I'd like to find a...
  2. J

Fun with SSDI

I tried to get a lawyer (in Mass.) but experience has shown that "any" lawyer can actually be worse than none- and For various reasons the 'disability lawyers' figure I will take too much time and not be profitable. It's funny, my record shows a clear upwards progression in a specific field...
  3. J

Fun with SSDI

So about 3 weeks ago I submitted my SSDI forms online. Today I get a phone call from them (of course no way of knowing they were actually the SSA, but I still have to confirm all my vital info to them over the one). Then they need to double check some info. Of course what they need to check is...
  4. J

US SSDI Specific question: date of disability

'That should have worked out perfectly, jonn, because most of the Soc Sec people I had contact with were also, stunningly, near illiterate.' Seriously, a while back I did some freelance for a Govt Agency. I thought it was strange when the director in charge ran EVERYTHING (and I mean even...
  5. J

Well, west of Boston. known as the 'metrowest area." i had hired a disability lawyer years ago for my wife, who was , stunningly, near illiterate. We had to rewrite all her letters so it was English. And she had come recommended by a colleague of mine. If anyone knows of any CFS...
  6. J

Well, I tried the SSDI lawyer route. They said it was doable as long as I had medical records indicating I had been suffering from symptoms before my 'date last insured'. But then the 'intake' guy went to check with, I assume, a lawyer - and came back and told me in so many words that it would...
  7. J

about 10 years ago I left work as I was getting tired (and thus grouchy). I kept going downhill, and periodic part time jobs just wore me out, so I lived off savings and such. Now, I finally have a doctor tell me he is pretty sure I have CFS. So now I wonder- if I have not worked much in...