• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. InitialConditions

Dr Bansal consultation

It was all virtual. I will email him.
  2. InitialConditions

Dr Bansal consultation

I dont think he even has my address (?)
  3. InitialConditions

Dr Bansal consultation

How does the private prescription work with Dr Bansal? Does he email them to you. I have not heard anything from him in nearly a week since my appointment.
  4. InitialConditions

Where can you find rating fot the severity of your CFS.

Google Bell CFS scale or Bell CFIDS scale
  5. InitialConditions

Does anyone else get gradual onset crashes?

I'm sorry to hear this. I am currently in a very similar position. I've gone downhill since late June and I'm not recovering. I'm even thinking about moving from amitriptyline to mirtazapine. What prompted this change in meds, and do you think it's helping? What doses?
  6. InitialConditions

Urea and electrolytes blood test on the NHS UK. Do they actually test Urea?

I'm looking at my GP Health Record and I have a figures for urea, sodium, potassium, and creatine. I would ask them. Different NHS labs in different trusts might do different tests as standard.
  7. InitialConditions

combining fluoxetine and doxepine?

I have been on and off low-dose amitriptyline (10mg) for a few years. It helps induce sleep, but I don't have severe sleep problems—but I can have insomnia when crashing. With these drugs, what works for one person can be awful for another. It really is trial and error. I just wanted to point...
  8. InitialConditions

combining fluoxetine and doxepine?

Have you considered low-dose amitriptyline or low-dose mirtazapine? They are known sedatives. I'm assuming you're currently on fluoxetine and want to add something else.
  9. InitialConditions

correct sleeping position and orientation to improve on health

I'm afriad this claim is a load of rubbish! The iron in the body is not magnetic (in the traditional sense). Further, Earth's magnetic field is so weak that the forces on blood iron are nowhere near the strength of gravity or even thermal motion in the blood. If the claim were true, we would...
  10. InitialConditions

Weird sounds in my ear that comes and goes.

This sounds like pulsatile tinnitus as that often sounds like a distant storm rumbling—it is caused by the sound of blood flowing turbulently through blood vessels. Does the sound 'pulse' slightly? The video below shows what it can objectively sound like. My pulsatile tinnitus subjectively...
  11. InitialConditions

Abdominal rash - related to Chinese Medicine?

Not an expert, but this looks like ringworm (or possibly another fungal infection) to me: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ringworm-body/symptoms-causes/syc-20353780 You have the darker perimeter and spots on the inside. Is it itchy, or scaly, at all? If it is ringworm, it looks...
  12. InitialConditions

Dr Bansal consultation

Thanks. How long did you have to wait? And did you have a virtual appointment?
  13. InitialConditions

Dr Bansal consultation

Thanks for sharing. Are you able to write how you went about getting an appointment with him? And perhaps give a rough idea of costs?
  14. InitialConditions

New personal finding: PEM threshold related to activity level

But if you've been resting a month it's probably for a reason — your baseline is probably lower than average, so it's not a suprise you'll get PEM if you have a stressful day where you overexert. Likewise, if you've been steadily active for a few weeks, it's probably because you're not in a...
  15. InitialConditions

Dr David Tuller: New Study Promotes “Bespoke” Hospital Rehab Program for Kids with ME/CFS

It was last updated in 2020. It was due for update in June 2022.
  16. InitialConditions

Heart Rate Variability Conundrum

Alternatively, if the measurements are accurate, it might suggest some sort of physiological issue that means you are way outside the normal range.... Maybe you could discuss with a doctor. But I'd defninitely want to use a chest strap first.
  17. InitialConditions

Heart Rate Variability Conundrum

I can only imagine that there is some sort of measurement error. I've never heard of a HRV reading of 160, never mind 240. The usual range is 40–80, so your readings are significantly above that. Comparing between devices is tricky, for obvious reasons. The most accurate device (with...
  18. InitialConditions

A nanoelectronics-blood-based diagnostic biomarker for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)

New PNAS paper from Ron Davis and team released ahead of print (not open access). https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/04/24/1901274116 ABSTRACT. There is not currently a well-established, if any, biological test to diagnose myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). The...
  19. InitialConditions

Strange mark(s) on skin. Rash? Overlying swollen vein / lymph vessel in neck

I'm also not sure if this is a lymph vessel or a vein that I can feel. I saw a consultant about a permanently enlarged lymph gland on that side and she said lymph vessels do not exist! I know this to be false.
  20. InitialConditions

Thanks for the reply. Yep, very familiar with Perrin and his ideas. And yes he practises an hour from me. His theory to me makes some sense, but it is still 'out there', and there is little evidnece supporting his hypothesis. I have actually got so far as contacting the clinic, but had no reply...
  21. InitialConditions

This is a strange one. The photo shows some marks on the left side of my neck. Now this rash - if you can call it that - does not bother me. The reason I post is because the largest mark/spot (about a thrid of the way up the photo) lies directly over what seems to me to be a swollen vein or...
  22. InitialConditions

Advice with thyroid panel test: Anti-Thyroglobulin antibodies

Hi all, Another thyroid post! I am not overly familar with the science in this area, so looking for advice. I had a Thriva thyroid test recently. The results are shown below. The only thing flagged is raised Anti-thyroglobulin antibodies. The other levels are within range. The Dr giving the...
  23. InitialConditions

Chronic fatigue syndrome: Suggestions for a nutritional treatment in the therapeutic approach

Honestly, how the hell did this get published. This sentence alone is enough for rejection, because it proves the authors don't have a good grasp of what ME/CFS is.
  24. InitialConditions

To Make Sense of the Present, Brains May Predict the Future

https://www.quantamagazine.org/to-make-sense-of-the-present-brains-may-predict-the-future-20180710/?fbclid=IwAR3kA2TmAgnrIzRxch0nwdNtY9pfEKxgHOyQQnO9N5fpkiDRBPbLmCwk6F8 A controversial theory suggests that perception, motor control, memory and other brain functions all depend on comparisons...
  25. InitialConditions

Any patients here with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)? Naviaux Cell Danger Response

i am familar with the wired but tired issue. not so familar with supplementation to manage it. can you expand...?
  26. InitialConditions

Any patients here with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)? Naviaux Cell Danger Response

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here is living with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) as well as ME/CFS? I first developed OCD at 16, so long before any ME symptoms. I have not had treatment and have mostly kept it a secret. Luckily, it has remained mild--moderate and has never got severe...
  27. InitialConditions

Video Dr Kaufman Diagnose ME/CFS - What criteria does he use?

I think this was done in collab with ME Action so it probably resembles IOM criterea (call it SEID if you will).
  28. InitialConditions

New #MEAction piece on Cochrane review of exercise therapy for CFS

as far as I'm aware this was always a temporary withdrawal - i think people just got ahead of themselves.
  29. InitialConditions

An elusive molecule that sparks multiple sclerosis may have been found

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/10/elusive-molecule-sparks-multiple-sclerosis-may-have-been-found "Our immune cells normally pounce on intruding bacteria and viruses. But in multiple sclerosis (MS), immune cells target the nervous system instead. Now, researchers may have pinpointed a...