• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Runner5

Great Book

I just finished reading, "The Moth In the Iron Lung: A Biography of Polio" by Forrest Maready I read a lot and it's one of the top 5 influential books I've read in my life. It really made me change my perspective and ask new questions and reframe my understanding about Polio and even...
  2. Runner5

Treating patients suffering from ME/CFS with sodium dichloroacetate (pilot trial)

For whatever it's worth -- and I know that's not much, but I may have ended up with the same answer. Possibly for different reasons idk but here is my current protocol. (I don't have dairy in my diet) It's also worth noting that I had a DNA test done and tested positive for the double copy of...
  3. Runner5

Naviaux: Metabolic features and regulation of the healing cycle-A new model for chronic disease

I have a child with autism. A lot of us parents really have an issue with all the so called "CURES" and explanations out there *sigh* Please delete my account, all my posts and my blog - thanks.
  4. Runner5

Article -- Forget Juice Cleanses. Autophagy Is the Real Way to Detox Your Body

I watched a bodybuilder today and she skipped breakfast, but had lunch (carb / protein) after workout snack / meal (carb / protein) and saved up all her fats for dinner time. It's interesting, I'm thinking of doing it again or moving breakfast out to 10am or something.
  5. Runner5

Article -- Forget Juice Cleanses. Autophagy Is the Real Way to Detox Your Body

On Youtube Delaur's channel he goes over "who shouldn't fast" -- I couldn't find the link to that vid but here is his channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTdelauer (full disclosure, Delaur is all about that Keto life and fasting) -- this is a pro-fasting video site. But turns out fasting...
  6. Runner5

LDN Naltrexone side effects

Thanks for the info - I was just wondering if there was some kind of addiction blocking that helped CFS and curious about that. The only drug my doc has offered me for CFS / Fibro is Cymbalta. In the past though I was on Ritalin. But I'm not really up to speed on any of the prescription...
  7. Runner5

Waves! (short post - promise)

Hi everyone! I don't really have anything new to report but wanted to say hello. I've been taking my legos out and photographing them with my macro lens. ;-P My husband did a freelance gig a few months ago and they gave him a brand new Canon EOS camera -- that would have been a dream of...
  8. Runner5

LDN Naltrexone side effects

Is Naltrexone for CFS? Up here its used for heroin abuse and addiction.
  9. Runner5

thymus extract or thymic protein w/o maltodextrin?

Is it working for you? If your thyroid is fine and you take the extract you could (i.e. WILL) ruin your thyroid. Man, that's a tough route. I wrote about how a lot of this metabolic damage and issues might not be thyroid at all - it's kidney based on research by Dr. Kempner in the 50's...
  10. Runner5

how do you reduce or remove serotonin?

Usually, you take the opposing amino acid. For serotonin, I think that would be L-Tyrosine i.e. increase dopamine? But you can take just a general protein shake, particularly the whey kind (and I'm Vegan - so it really is the best or I definitely wouldn't recommend it) -- but it has a lot of...
  11. Runner5

All my B's are low. Any advice?

Vega Recovery Drink Mix -- is loaded with B Vitamins and might help get your vitamins up. How's your vitamin D and other vitamins? When you say Magnesium is in the red, low or high? I have GI issues and I think my issues have been malabsorption. I have trouble taking the B vitamins, they...
  12. Runner5

Telemedicine doctor??

I always got better on antibiotics also, I do think it was because I had such bad SIBO and GI issues. I've looked into antibiotics for the gut but it seems that people get into vicious cycles with them and have to take them again, again, again ... Are you on an acid blocker PPI drug? That...
  13. Runner5

Poll: Do your symptoms improve when you fast for 1-2 days?

If you like Youtube, check out Butter Bob Briggs. He's my favorite carnivore and low-carber of all time. He does I.F. and he's just a cool dude. With my hormones fasting was insane - and terrible - never again. BUT... my husband tried intermittent fasting and he has stuck with it and lost...
  14. Runner5

Metabolic Disease - Kidneys?

So in earlier posts, I echoed an unoriginal thought that CFS, at least MY version that I deal with, was metabolic in origin. I pointed to a pretty good article on Health Rising and some work by Dr. Davis (I'll try to link that below) -- and just the dart in the dark that most of all that ails...
  15. Runner5

Potassium = drained?

Potassium really does affect the heart though - just a heads up there.
  16. Runner5

Countering Nitric Oxide

I eat a lot of beets, I thought that was supposed to increase NO. I think though this thread is above my pay-grade of understanding. :D
  17. Runner5

Comment by 'Runner5' in 'It hasn't gone away'

How you doing Wolfcub? Feeling any better? Getting back some pep?
  18. Runner5

Diet, Macronutrients, and Metabolism

I eat almost 80/10/10, Vegetarian. I'm at a 90% recovery. I went and ran 6 miles with my husband this morning along the ocean. I guess that's all I got to say about this thread before it gets locked ;-P
  19. Runner5

Potassium = drained?

Usually potassium supplementation is limited (at least in the US by the FDA) because it can impact the heart, so 100mg (the max allowed here where I live) isn't really enough to do much of anything - compared to say eating a tomato. I am unfamiliar with the Fred protocol - honestly - people...
  20. Runner5

Countering Nitric Oxide

I thought nitric oxide was a very very good thing to have on board.
  21. Runner5

Sugar cravings

I get candida if I eat too complex of foods that can't be broken down by my measly microbial army (Go Team GO!) Hey, I have faith they will rally someday and take on bigger fibers, more complex foods, but until then I'm on a white rice diet with some veggies. I'm about 75% carb. (Edit) I've...
  22. Runner5

Exercise intolerance - non-classic PEM?

I used to fall asleep within about 20 minutes of eating - super fatigue - turned out it was Gastroparesis, my stomach wasn't emptying rapidly enough. So what happens is your body thinks "food on board" releases insulin, but the food doesn't show up. It's stuck in the stomach and it's slow...
  23. Runner5

Comment by 'Runner5' in 'It hasn't gone away'

((hugs))
  24. Runner5

Glycine for REM Sleep?

I did try it. Not great results. I did the 3grams. Over all had best luck with L-Tryptophan. Since changing my diet and following the "fuel up before workout - have a recovery shake afterward - get in your aminos and eat a lot of plants" protocol though, I actually started sleeping on my...
  25. Runner5

Oh if you ever have to be out and about in the heat, walking around the mall, or having a friend or relative drag you places -- having a sport drink like athletes use is a life-saver. I use Tailwind, but there are some good brands out there...
  26. Runner5

Do you by any chance have insulin resistance or diabetes? I do, and that's pretty much what happens to me. I really have to watch out for the frequent urination, that's the canary in the coal mine that can be easily overlooked, but it dumps your electrolytes and your Thiamine B1 - it can...
  27. Runner5

How to raise cysteine?

You might want to pick up this book on amino acids, it's pretty thorough https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Nutrients-Within-Findings-Research/dp/1591200377/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1533231643&sr=8-2&keywords=amino+acid+book This is the book I use.
  28. Runner5

Comment by 'Runner5' in 'Blueberry Season & Gastroparesis'

I seem to do pretty well eating blueberries. Wasn't sure how it would go at first. Been eating small amounts through the day and getting by alright. :-P I think humans came from the oceans, there are so many nutrients we need related back to a salty water past like Iodine, Omega 3...
  29. Runner5

Blueberry Season & Gastroparesis

It is the blueberry season in Oregon, and I have this box, 5lbs of blueberries. They're gorgeous and exceptional this year - perfectly tart, not too watery, just the right ripeness and firm. I'm going to take some photos today - see if I can paint a picture of them. I'm working on a portrait...