• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. R

My body can't tolerate any medication?

What do you eat in general? Have you tried drinking some orange juice.
  2. R

On antibiotics for infection - what should I expect with CFS symptoms?

Hey, just so you know fluoride containing antibiotics have some issues, especially fluoroquinolones. Can you get a different antibiotic instead?
  3. R

I've been on a long course now so it doesn't happen anymore. I have lyme (and other coinfections) and the effect i noticed was with a short course of clarithromycin prescribed for my sore throat long ago.
  4. R

If you have a chronic infection, then you might feel better for a day or two, then feel worse and then better again. At least thats how it works for me. What antibiotics are you taking?
  5. R

Sweat smelling strongly of bleach / ammonia?

Eating some potatoes should work. Ketoacids in the potato will scavenge the ammonia and convert it into some amino acids. You might be stressed anyway, even if you don't exercise at all.
  6. R

Riddled with Lactic acid?

@Gday @pattismith "...A MELAS patient was treated with oral nicotinamide for 5 months. The blood NAD content representing the NAD + NADH pool of erythrocytes rose 24 fold and the blood lactate + pyrovate concentration fell by 50%." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9309702
  7. R

May/June magic... how does it work?

May has been pretty hot so far. How high have the temps been in Iowa? Maybe your metabolism isn't up to operating at the higher temps.
  8. R

How do you prevent 'night terrors'?

Anyone try waking up and having a midnight snack? Many people used to sleep twice (!) a night before electricity.
  9. R

May/June magic... how does it work?

Metabolism rises during the summer for everyone. TSH rises in cold months and reduces in warmer months...
  10. R

Things that show up in your lab results

PTH, Lactic acid were high recently. Cortisol, ferritin and serum calcium have been high previously. I have some bone issues.
  11. R

Day 17 Elimination Diet...No Change

Perhaps it is because of all the fiber. Have you tried something like the potato diet?
  12. R

I drink 200oz of Gatorade per day, help me

Hmm, have you tried drinking pulp free OJ+salt instead? Much more natural.
  13. R

massage?

Just be aware that sometimes massage can leave you slammed similar to PEM, might feel better later tho.
  14. R

Brain fog symptoms that are odd. Any ideas?

Diamond V XPC is what helped me way back when I had brain fog. You can get it on ebay.
  15. R

Olympian discloses she has Lyme hours after her event.

Its possible that athletes are extra vulnerable to certain ailments. Athletes have a higher rate of asthma, long distance runners have more heart disease. Boxers and football players have more chances of dementia, gymnasts have joint problems. Pushing yourself to the limit is not without its...
  16. R

Thyroid Resistance treatment/latter stages of hypothyroidism Please HELP

Hmm, I ended up taking about 1mcg every hour or so. You might need to eat frequently for this to work.
  17. R

Thyroid Resistance treatment/latter stages of hypothyroidism Please HELP

Have you tried dosing smaller doses of T3 frequently, many times a day? It helps a lot, and my dosage of thyroid dropped by a factor of 10.
  18. R

are probiotics bad for people with CFS?

Lactic acid (and especially bacterial D Lactic acid) is connected to the fatigue in CFS. If you have a weak immune system, then any bacteria can lead to overgrowth.
  19. R

The ultimate poll about CFS/ME diet

The resistant starch may have worsened your SIBO or caused a different sort. Have you tried eating your starch with coconut oil? Potatoes stir fried in odorless refined coconut oil should work, the coconut oil is anti-bacterial.
  20. R

I have my doubts. Even the stalwart low-carbers gradually drift to higher carb over time. Just because someone can tolerate low carb in the short term doesn't mean they can keep going in the long term.
  21. R

I started off trying a ketogenic diet. Got the ketones high, but couldn't tolerate it for very long. Insufficient food may have been part of it. The PhD helped for a little bit, Carbs are super important. That brings us to Ray Peat way of eating. Works great for me. Highlights: Lots of carbs...
  22. R

Freddd's protocol killed my sleep

CAn you try eating more carbs? Folate will increase your metabolism and your need for carbohydrates.
  23. R

Burgers On Lockdown

Have you had a good burger recently?
  24. R

does anyone feel better when they dont eat?

Not eating will raise stress (cortisol and/or adrenaline) to release nutrients that come either from liver storage or from sacrificing tissue. Cortisol will make you less tired temporarily. Eating a good meal with carb and protein will reduce the stress, making you tired. Eating a meal a day...
  25. R

Are the oil-based supplements clogging our mitochondria?

@adreno Not omega-3's though, supplements from flax or fish are usually the main source there. @Gondwanaland Just make sure the oil in supplements is either olive oil or MCT oil, those should be all right, especially in tiny amounts. Vitamin E is usually mixed with vegetable oil, that's...
  26. R

T4 needed for methylation?

These two might be relevant. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24581448 Serum homocysteine levels are decreased in levothyroxine-treated women with autoimmune thyroiditis. Owecki M1, Dorszewska J, Sawicka-Gutaj N, Oczkowska A, Owecki MK, Michalak M, Fischbach J, Kozubski W, Ruchała M. Author...
  27. R

T4 needed for methylation?

Yea, splitting up that T3 pill into multiple doses is probably a good idea. I personally try to take not more than 5mcg per dose. T4 will definitely help with smoothing out the dips. I take my T4 in one dose at night.
  28. R

Olive Leaf Extract

OLE promotes conversion of T4 to T3 and also increases T4 levels. http://www.ergo-log.com/olive-leaf-extract-active-thyroid-hormone.html I think many people may actually seeing the benefits from that probably due to subclinical hypothyroid. Perhaps you might consider using thyroid hormones as...
  29. R

Vitamin D supplementation causes worsening of symptoms?

Have you tested your serum calcium/vit D/PTH ? If your PTH is high, it will rapidly convert the D into the active form which raises serum calcium further.
  30. R

Another new study links Autism to vaccines

He did make a public statement: http://www.morganverkamp.com/august-27-2014-press-release-statement-of-william-w-thompson-ph-d-regarding-the-2004-article-examining-the-possibility-of-a-relationship-between-mmr-vaccine-and-autism/