• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Rowena Ilagan

Is a history with CFS a barrier for employment?

Hello everyone, I thought this was the most appropriate forum to post this question. I was offered conditional employment to be an activities assistant for seniors. The management is requesting my medical records, which includes a mention of high EBV titers 3 years ago. One of the conditions for...
  2. Rowena Ilagan

Reason why women come down with CFIDS more than men?

Can anyone point me to articles, research, etc. on why CFIDS affects more women than it does men?
  3. Rowena Ilagan

My Understanding of CFS/ME and How To Heal

@muddybird, your experience with ME/CFS is a lot like mine! I was diagnosed 4 years ago, along with the concomitant conditions MCS and fibro. House/bedbound for 2.5 years. As you, I had to address toxins, gut, adrenal and environmental issues to crawl out of it. I'm still getting the occasional...
  4. Rowena Ilagan

Comment by 'Rowena Ilagan' in 'Saying hello'

Hi @Pen, thank you for sharing your experience! Wow, that can definitely do it, checking on the hay for mold spores! Yikes! Have you noticed a positive difference with your symptoms after not being exposed to mold? I know some people have taken extreme measures with mold avoidance. I must have...
  5. Rowena Ilagan

I think you might be right ITITJ; the LAc. I consult with thinks that perhaps I was being exposed to mold already before being officially diagnosed with ME/CFS.
  6. Rowena Ilagan

Hi Perchance Dreamer, thank you for reading my long intro and commenting on the post today! It's good to get acquainted with someone else on this forum with MCS and fibro too. I think for me the chemical sensitivities has been the one of the most difficult to manage. I have had to make several...
  7. Rowena Ilagan

Rowena Ilagan

8. Rowena Ilagan

Saying hello

Hello fellow CFS-ers! Thank you for stopping by at my blog! It's a work in progress, so before I go any further (and give the lay of the land), I wanted to share some background about myself and my journey with ME/CFS. I'm a 4 year veteran with this illness, with concomitant conditions of...
  9. Rowena Ilagan

Comment by 'Rowena Ilagan' in 'Suddenly I can walk farther!'

Hello Ms. Dainty, congrats on the steady improvement with your health! I am curious about your use of cranial osteopathy. I would like to learn more about it and see if it might be integrated in my wellness plan too. I have used a combination of treatments suggested by a functional M.D. and LAc.
  10. Rowena Ilagan

SSI application

Hello fellow M.E. warriors, I have been on disability and disability retirement now from my government job here in CA for the past 3 years. I didn't qualify for SSDI since the City of Los Angeles had their own retirement system. For some reason, I had overlooked SSI so now that it's under my...
  11. Rowena Ilagan

Valtrex: what should I expect?

I can only comment on my experience with valcyclovir and Valtrex here. I had a some die off reaction according to the N.D. I was consulting with at the time but overall it did not lift the fatigue or "poisoned" feeling I had after 4 months on the drug.
  12. Rowena Ilagan

Upcoming Webinar with Drs. Susan Levine and Jose Montoya

Reminder everyone about tomorrow's webinar with Drs. Levine and Montoya newly entitled, "A 360 Degree Approach to Solve ME/CFS." Don't forget to register here: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/6698401139191813379
  13. Rowena Ilagan

Hi Liz, glad to hear the olive leaf extract helped you. I recall trying that also (originally from a naturapath) but did not notice a significant difference. I think supplementation and diet does help. Astralagus helped me if I remember correctly...it was one of the first herbs I was given...
  14. Rowena Ilagan

Hi there, I was prescribed acyclovir and took it for 4 months but did not improve on it. I ended up using antivirals from Eastern medicine and I responded better to those than I did acyclovir.
  15. Rowena Ilagan

"Why I put more trust in homeopathy than conventional medicine" (on CBT and GET)

I have never tried homeopathy for treatment of ME/CFS although have used some herbs in Chinese medicine as well as supplements/dietary recommendations from an integrative M.D. They have given me some improvement (going on 4 years now with ME, fibromyalgia, and multiple chemical sensitivities).
  16. Rowena Ilagan

Resource Base for "Working"

Thank you for sharing these resources. I have had ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, and multiple chemical sensitivities for over 4 years now. I am just dipping my toe into the part-time work (remote mostly, editing, writing, and social media). It is a struggle and found that I get more symptoms (or more...
  17. Rowena Ilagan

"Determining the Disease Burden of ME/CFS" by Mary Dimmock in SMCI's The Chronicle

Suggestion noted. I also communicated with SMCI; perhaps a better way to get their news out would be to create a page here with regular updates on their activities.
  18. Rowena Ilagan

"Determining the Disease Burden of ME/CFS" by Mary Dimmock in SMCI's The Chronicle

As an ME/CFS patient for the last 4 years, I have been assisting SMCI with getting their news out to other patients/advocates in social media groups, forums, and blogs.
  19. Rowena Ilagan

@Valentijn @trishrhymes @Joh: I communicate with the advocacy and engagement manager at Solve ME/CFS Initiative regularly and there is a lag time with getting some of their news out. I requested the links to the article itself-as soon as I have those will post them here.
  20. Rowena Ilagan

Check out the article "Determining the Disease Burden of ME/CFS" by Solve ME/CFS Initiative (http://solvecfs.org/) Board Member Mary Dimmock in the latest issue of the Chronicle. Are you signed up to receive SMCI's print publication, The Chronicle, which is published four times a year? It is...
  21. Rowena Ilagan

Upcoming Webinar with Drs. Susan Levine and Jose Montoya

On Thursday April 20, 2017, Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI)'s research webinar series will be a double feature with Drs. Susan Levine and Jose Montoya, two leading authorities in the ME/CFS field. To register for the free webinar, go here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6698401139191813379
  22. Rowena Ilagan

Dr. Hanson Joins Solve ME/CFS Initiative Research Group

Professor Maureen Hanson, founder and director of the Center for Enervating Neuroimmune Disease (CEND) at Cornell University, will be joining the Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI) Research Advisory Council next week. Welcome to the SMCI Research Community, Dr. Hanson!
  23. Rowena Ilagan

Job Opening at Solve ME/CFS Initiative

Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI) is looking for a Communications and Engagement Coordinator. More details on the job here: http://www.idealist.org/view/job/33Hk6hpxkwgBD/
  24. Rowena Ilagan

Carol Head, SMCI President, On ME/CFS Research Funding

Carol Head, President of the Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI), tackles the question, "Why Is Funding ME/CFS Research So Difficult?" in the latest issue of the Chronicle. Are you signed up to receive SMCI's print publication, The Chronicle, published four times a year? It is available to anyone who...
  25. Rowena Ilagan

SMCI Storms DC, Makes Needs of ME/CFS Patients Known

More details of Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI)'s work here: http://bit.ly/2nPnxVo
  26. Rowena Ilagan

Letter from Dr. Nahle, VP of Research and Scientific Programs at SMCI

Did you see the recent letter from Dr. Zaher Nahle, VP of Research and Scientific Programs at Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI)? He wrote live from the 30th Anniversary Genetic Alliance Conference in Bethesda, MD. https://www.facebook.com/GeneticAlliance...
  27. Rowena Ilagan

Free Webinar With Dr. Peter Rowe, Director of Chronic Fatigue Clinic

Thank you for sharing AndyPR! I was just about to post the link to the You Tube video.
  28. Rowena Ilagan

Solve ME/CFS Initiative Comprehensive Research Program

Would you like to know about Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI)'s Comprehensive Research Program to help us get closer to a cure? A snapshot here from their Winter Chronicle: http://solvecfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/cover-story-chronicle.pdf?utm_content=buffer64871&utm_medium=social&utm
  29. Rowena Ilagan

Participate in ME/CFS Advocacy Week starting May 8, 2017

The Solve ME/CFS Initiative will be leading ME/CFS Advocacy Week beginning May 8th, 2017 with local actions and May 12th - May 18th in Washington DC. If you are interested in being a part of the May ME/CFS Advocacy week in Washington DC or taking local actions in your home district, sign-up here...
  30. Rowena Ilagan

Do you have a question regarding CFSAC?

@Jennifer J, yes I'm also an ME/CFS patient sharing some news that might be helpful to other patients. I will ask if that committee will still accept questions beyond the March 17 deadline.