• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. reader62

Heart rate

I got this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HGAXZ1C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I'm pleased with it so far.....
  2. reader62

Heart rate

Hi, all! I've just started using a heart rate monitor in the hope that it will help me with pacing, which I'm finding difficult to get right. However I've also notices that my heart rate is shooting all over the place. My resting heart rate is naturally pretty low - around 60-64 bpm. But it'll...
  3. reader62

Brilliant account of the fall into chronic illness — Sarah Perry in the Guardian

Yes, I read this, and thought it was a fantastic, and very moving, piece.
  4. reader62

Comment by 'reader62' in 'Then… And Now – What having ME has taught me.'

What a fantastic rant! I, too, am a middle-aged ME sufferer building up a wardrobe of trackie bottoms and sweatshirts, surfing t'internet, and learning that how you feel matters a hell of a lot more than how you look.
  5. reader62

The sexist reality of being a woman with ME

Er....I hope you're just saying this to be deliberately provocative, not because you really believe it! I'm not quite sure why you think 'feminists can't win academic debates': is it because all the long words will blow our tiny minds, or because we will emotionally break down when confronted...
  6. reader62

The sexist reality of being a woman with ME

I look at it like this. The FACT is that both men and women suffer from ME. They suffer the same: this disease doesn't discriminate. We know this, because we are in the trenches fighting together. However, the PERCEPTION is that it's a women's disease. The popular image of ME is that of a young...
  7. reader62

Why don't I want to eat?

I had no idea! Thank you: I'll give it a try. x
  8. reader62

Why don't I want to eat?

Before I got this thing, I loved my grub. Although I ate a generally healthy diet (and also exercised regularly), I loved wine, chocolate, cake....all the decadent and delicious things. But since I began suffering from ME symptoms, I've lost pleasure in food. I'd live off toast if I could, and...
  9. reader62

massage?

I had a massage today, as it happens. It was very relaxing at the time, but I now feel as I've gone six rounds with Mike Tyson! I'm hoping the benefits outweigh the aches and pains - apparently my muscles were as knotted and tense as someone who had just come from strenuous exercise. Obviously a...
  10. reader62

I'm addicted to my laptop

That sounds my day. My concentration isn't great, so I move from activity to activity - watch a bit of a film on Netflix, rest, read a chapter of a book, listen to a programme on Radio 4, rest, watch another 30 minutes of the film, and so on. I've also started colouring, although not for too...