• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. G

Microbiome - Butyrate - Inflammation

i think sleep trackers typically use some kind of weighted algorithm to calculate sleep quality typically REM sleep Hrs are given a high weighting - as are Deep sleep Hrs - whereas light sleep is given a v low weighting unfortunately wrist based light sensor type devices like fitbit etc are...
  2. G

probably a reference to the benefits associated with better alignment between our body's circadian rhythms and the light dark cycles of the world we live in. for example - night shift workers have much higher all cause mortality due to their bodies being at odds with this naturally adapted...
  3. G

these is a lot of research on time restricted eating - or intermittent fasting - where your eating window is restricted to 10 or 11 hrs a day - vs the 14 common in developed countries today this extended down time actually improves beneficial bacteria populations in the gut allows additional...
  4. G

Mitochondria of intestinal epithelial cells in depression: Are they at a crossroads of gut-brain communication? Highlights • Mitochondrial dysfunction of intestinal epithelial cells leads to gut microbiota dysbiosis. • Mitochondria of intestinal epithelial cells may be a newly-found important...
  5. G

How to heal your endothelium….

congratulations on getting to 70% Wayne having been at 20% for years myself - and knowing how much work it takes to get to 70% - that deserves some credit i am currently still treating and progressing - but am able to do two 30 minute workouts and a 45minute walk at a fast clip each day -...
  6. G

i think this is true - but what i see a great deal of in a lot of this work - possibly because sequencing and trying to understand the microbiome is very much In-Vogue right now - is is the inherent assumption that the direction of the arrow of causation is from microbiome to host symptoms/...
  7. G

My son has been sleeping 14 to 16 hrs a day

yes - i am responding to treatment - i was ill for over 5 years before appropriate treatment started - so its been a long journey - but i made progress once it as clear what i was dealing with - i am still in treatment - but around 70% recovered on the good days now i used to be so fatigued i...
  8. G

happy to help be aware that current testing is a long way from perfect the standard two tier Lyme test is only around 50% sensitive at best ( misses over half of real cases) - and often fails in people who have been sick for years. the western blot is slightly better - but the pass fail...
  9. G

i have not read the entire thread so i apologise if what i have to say has been covered already i just wanted to add that my CFS turned out to be caused by a chronic bacterial infection - in my case Bartonellosis - a surprisingly common but under diagnosed infection. - older medical text...
  10. G

How to heal your endothelium….

hi Hoosierfans i know you have tried treating lyme etc and have had negative titres since but you also said your symptoms were not like lyme or bartonella - and yet the ones you describe above are in fact very typical Lyme. sunburn pain all over = neuropathy = classic late stage lyme symptom...
  11. G

For those of you who are moderate

much of the above mirrors my experiences basically, we each have an ideal window to exercise in - whether sick or elite athletes the bottom of the window is defined by the minimum amount we need to do to send a signal to our system to repair itself stronger in preparation for the next...
  12. G

thank you for the kind words - i have mainly just been digging into all of this stuff for some years now in an attempt to sort out my own issues - but i am keen to pass on anything that might be useful to others who find themselves in a similar boat.
  13. G

here is a section through the villi in the surface of the small intestine - where you can see the single cell thick gut membrane layer - and the incredibly fine capillaries inside each its easy to see how sensitive to clotting or other microvascular injury these tissues are - and how that...
  14. G

another area that may be of interest to you is the ability of hypoxia - even what we may think of as relatively mild hypoxia - like from sleep apnoea - to cause hypoxia and reperfusion injury and inflammation in the fine blood vessels that supply the tiny villi that line the gut - these Villi...
  15. G

also gall bladder function is involved in fat digestion to explain a little further - the gall bladder is a muscular little sack with a single entry/exit - that slowly fills with bile from the slow and continuous flow from the liver - then when you have a fatty meal ( anything more than 5-10g...
  16. G

i am a bit wary of mice experiments on HFD etc as there seems to be no differentiation between the type of fats used eg what kind of fat is in the "High Fat mouse chow"? - by default i think this will likely be industrial seed oils - based on an inherent assumption that all fat is fat - ie all...
  17. G

it often takes a few weeks for ones system to adapt to making ketones and burning them for fuel we all have the ability - for instance if we fell down a hole in the desert - that is exactly what would happen - but its apparatus that's not used in people who get the majority of their energy...
  18. G

one thing you could experiment with that helped me more than anything else i had tried to that point is a ketogenic diet. i was totally against this initially as i had been into sports nutrition all my life and did well on complex carbs. but once i got ill i had many gut symptoms and my...
  19. G

you can also supplement with butyrate - i have tried it - but found very little impact - which is what most of the studies on exogenous butyrate supplementation also find. it just doesn't seem to do the same thing when you consume it - as when the bacteria are producing it - probably because...
  20. G

the problem i see with these kind of studies and part of the reason for the lack of actionability is that the direction of causation has not been rigorously established - while the papers strongly suggest or at least assume it has for instance there are papers showing that diseases that cause...
  21. G

I have an odd hormone problem

the leaves and stems should be fine to my knowledge its only the root that has the strong aromatase inhibiting effects rathe than the leaves - Stephen Buhner mentioned it in his book on Testosterone support for men - will try and find and excerpt it will not be the only plant to do this...
  22. G

I have an odd hormone problem

some herbs are quite potent aromatase inhibitors - nettle root is one example- by inhibition of the testosterone breakdown pathway testosterone levels can get this high after taking nettle root for a while mine went to a similar or higher level to yours and i am 54! - but it resolved when i...
  23. G

IGG subclass 3 deficiency and NK cells

not sure about that - aren't NK cells part of the innate immune system while antibodies are made by the cells in the adaptive immune response? in case its of interest - low NK cells and low IGG subclasses are associated with chronic lyme disease a subset of NK cells called CD57+ cells in...
  24. G

OATs Test and Myopathy

How did it go?
  25. G

Tonsils, Appendixes, Gall Bladders and ME/CFS

the idea of vestigial organs like the appendix is bunkum - its just short hand for the physicians of the day not knowing what they do. in other words - hubris. research over the last decade has indicated that the appendix may serve as a reservoir for healthy microbiota that is able to...
  26. G

Dr Markov CBIS Theory of ME/CFS - General Discussion

hi Civicko - you will need to enable conversations invites in your profile are you undergoing the Markov Treatment at the moment ?
  27. G

Dr Patterson on Long Haul Covid vs ME/CFS

i could be wrong - but i thought the whole premise of IncellDX was single cell testing - rather than testing circulating cytokines ?
  28. G

@Chaboi28 - Sure - i will send you an invite now when you get it please do post an introduction to tell the other members a little about yourself - when energy allows.
  29. G

hi Shadowwraith - i will send you an invite now when you get it please do post an introduction to tell the other members a little about yourself - when energy allows.
  30. G

@Mozo - whatever you did fixed it - i have just sent you an invite 👍 when you get the invite - follow the link and you will find details of the Markov tracker chart in the first post please also post an introduction to tell the other members a little about yourself