• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. E

How carnivore diet relates to treatment

@Nielk This study is on patients with traumatic brain injury, so not sure of its relevance to you. Prevention of traumatic headache, dizziness and fatigue with creatine administration. A pilot study Abstract Aim The complex pathobiology of traumatic brain injury (TBI) offers numerous targets...
  2. E

Trouble swallowing (dysphagia) - neurological ?

I personally know someone whose swallowing difficulty resolved after taking magnesium for some other problem. I think that if there is a neuromuscular problem, a magnesium deficiency is worth considering if another cause is not obvious since magnesium supplementation is easy and relatively...
  3. E

Supplement to support kidney

Perhaps this article is helpful. What is PRAL & How Does It Affect Kidneys?
  4. E

How carnivore diet relates to treatment

Maybe it's the carnitine? Carnitine Responsive Migraine Headache Syndrome: Case Report and Review of the Literature The effects of concurrent Coenzyme Q10, L-carnitine supplementation in migraine prophylaxis: A randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial In case you are considering...
  5. E

Dandruff Issue plaguing my life.

I had one experience with fine flakes appearing on my face, mostly around the hairline and forehead. These appeared after I started drinking Oolong tea. I had very dry skin at the time. The flakes stopped after a few days. I assumed that they were a sign of the skin rejuvenating. Oolong tea had...
  6. E

Omega Fatty acid deficiency / Fat malabsorption / high cholesterol?

Lecithin has been shown to lower cholesterol. Influence of Soy Lecithin Administration on Hypercholesterolemia In animals, lecithin has been shown to increase bile flow. The role of dietary choline in the beneficial effects of lecithin on the secretion of biliary lipids in rats If you are...
  7. E

Could and upset liver be a clue to Me/cfs?

Cholestasis can be the result of impaired secretion of bile by the liver or obstruction of bile flow through the bile ducts. If it is due to impaired bile synthesis, bile salt supplementation may help. If cholestasis is due to bile duct obstruction, this could result in a backup of bile acids...
  8. E

Why are B12 supplements making my symptoms so much worse?

@sofa Your symptoms appear to be neurological in nature. Such symptoms can sometimes be the result of a thiamine/vitamin B1 deficiency. See here for more info. If you look around the forum, you would be able to find reports from several members who found that supplementing with thiamine helped...
  9. E

Pale stools no matter what try

You seem focused on gallbladder function, so I presume you've ruled out the other possible causes of pale stools. Pale Stools: Possible Causes and When to Seek Help
  10. E

Dry mucous membranes after lowering B-vitamins?

@Rebecca under the papyrus Do your symptoms look like those of niacin deficiency?
  11. E

B12 and folate

I don't think there is a fixed rule. There is a relatively old thread that discussed this: Folate: which one + what dose + what ratio with B12 + which B12 ?
  12. E

THE STAGES OF METHYLATION AND HEALING

Methylation treatment is Rich's suggestion for ATP support via boosting glutathione. See the document below. Glutathione Depletion-Methylation Cycle Block: A Hypothesis For the Pathogenesis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by Richard A. Van Konynenburg Ph.D.
  13. E

I am currently taking 400 mcg of vit K2 mk-7 a week and 1 mg of mk-4. I am considering dropping the mk-4 as I suspect it may be over-stimulating liver phase 1 detoxification and, ironically, causing arterial calcification. Problem is that mk-7 gives me insomnia, I'm hoping that that goes away...
  14. E

I'm sure you're aware that methylation is required for melatonin production. ALT and AST are markers of liver stress and injury. Once the stress is removed, they usually return to normal. Liver function may not be affected by short term stress. However, long term stress obviously can affect...
  15. E

If you're having problems sleeping because of higher Bs, then I don't know the reason. One reason I've seen some suggest is the increased energy the B vitamins give. Another speculative reason I've seen for sleep problems is increased liver activity, which would be relevant here since the B...
  16. E

@Athene I am not aware of how copper could increase the need for B1, B2 and B3. Is it possible you were just over-methylating? As I mentioned in the previous post, methylation may deplete B3, and you are probably aware that I have also made a number of posts highlighting increased need for B1...
  17. E

Methyl groups combine with nicotinamide/niacinamide/vit B3 to form methylnicotinamide and could thus conceivably deplete vit B3. Vit B3 deficiency leads to pellagra. Pellagra is marked by the three Ds: diarrhea, dermatitis, dementia.
  18. E

Giving up on methylation.

Have you considered a thiamine/vitamin B1 deficiency? Many of your symptoms fit those for that condition. See here for more info. If you look around the forum, you would be able to find reports from several members who found that supplementing with thiamine helped with problems that arose after...
  19. E

3 yrs on - methylfolate and muscle wasting roadblock

There are suggestions that eczema and other skin problems can be treated with biotin. For example, from the University of Rochester Medical Center website: The Dr. Schweikart Publisher website says that vitamin B12 and biotin work together in feeding the citric acid cycle.
  20. E

Microcirculation APOE4 and LipoProtein(a)

There is some evidence that carnitine lowers Lp(a). Impact of L-carnitine on plasma lipoprotein(a) concentrations: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials L-Carnitine/Simvastatin Reduces Lipoprotein (a) Levels Compared with Simvastatin Monotherapy: A Randomized...
  21. E

B2 I love you!

Not @Freddd but I think TCR-Li refers to TransCobalamin Receptor-Lithium. See this post. He'll have to answer for himself on his folate intake.
  22. E

L. plantarum (and other bacteria mental helpers) - what supps and foods contain this ?

Sources of L plantarum according to the paper Lactobacillus plantarum with Functional Properties: An Approach to Increase Safety and Shelf-Life of Fermented Foods: Details can be found in the paper.
  23. E

Pale Stool and Bile Salts

Have you considered Cholestasis?
  24. E

Pale Stool and Bile Salts

TUDCA apparently did restore my mother's bowel regularity. Just a warning though if you have gallstones. TUDCA will likely dissolve the stones. Before they are fully dissolved, the stones are likely to simply become loosened and get secreted out of the gallbladder into the bile duct, where they...
  25. E

In Memory of Patrick Johnson "PatJ"

Very sad news indeed. He was a stalwart of the forum and will surely be missed.
  26. E

Please help regarding B6/P5P labeling

Vitamin B6 normally refers to pyridoxine. Pyridoxal 5'-phosphate and pyridoxine can interconvert into each other but they have different weights. As the Source Naturals label indicates, 100 mg of P5P converts into approximately 60 mg of vitamin B6/pyridoxine. According to the label, the Life...
  27. E

May be prescribed statins. Any advice?

In case you do end up on statins, you may want to keep vitamin K2 in mind. Should vitamin K2 also be recommended for statin users?
  28. E

Please help! potassium drop

@Kadar I'm sorry to hear that benfotiamine didn't help. There is always the option of trying other forms of B1 e.g. sulbutiamine, allithiamine. Although they are generally considered equivalent, some members report different effects from different forms of B1. Also, it is probably worth...
  29. E

Treatment for SIBO, leaky gut and general gut dysbiosis

Allow me to repost these links that I had posted on some other threads (here and here) in case they are useful. SIBO, low stomach acid 10 reasons why people with SIBO should care about bile The Importance of Bile Acids
  30. E

Reading this bloods test/Folate high?

Usually, that means a folate trap i.e. B12 deficiency. But if your serum B12 is also high, then the following article might be of interest. Are High Folate and Vitamin B12 Linked to Low Thiamine in Autism and Other Disorders?