• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Carnation4000

Is your Hypothalamus up the creek?

Oh my gosh SWAlexander, thank you so much for posting this video! Just hearing him say such truth makes me feel better. The number one thing helping me with my CFS has been muscle testing (@Mary) but most folks seem to think communicating with your body is proof of insanity.
  2. Carnation4000

Sleeping like I'm in winter hibernation .

When things are bad, that's kinda the question for us, isn't it?
  3. Carnation4000

Everything You Ever Needed, Wanted, or Wished You Knew About Amino Acids, EAA’s and BCAA’s, Courtesy Of @PatJ

I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to support what @YippeeKi YOW !! is saying about the dangers of things like whey protein and collagen supplements. I had a terrible reaction to some Collagen powder. I wasn't even taking the full recommended amount but I had terrible insomnia...
  4. Carnation4000

Branch chain amino acids .. experience please ...

I too take BCAAs as well as threonine during a crash. I usually also need NAC. Like @godlovesatrier, BCAAs can give me insomnia if I take them too late in the day OR if I take too much. I am always very wary of BCAAs. @Emmarose47 - you might want to look at muscle testing (@Mary) as a way...
  5. Carnation4000

Post-Concussion Syndrome may come with PEM

@Mary - you're most welcome! It took me years to finally start asking questions in a way that really helped, and that was out of desperation. I usually start with - do we have too much of something or not enough? Does it involve an organ? Or is it the brain? And then to the vitamin...
  6. Carnation4000

Hey Mary! Well, I am concerned about the Rybelsus too. However, I decided to take a gamble. Last summer is when I started having the elevated ammonia. I gained almost 30 lbs in 2 months! And, of course, I have been unable to lose any of it even though the elevated ammonia is a thing of the...
  7. Carnation4000

This may sound a little goofy but here goes. I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue about 2 years ago. PEM was always a huge problem. Last June (2020) I began having really weird electrolyte issues which turned out to be related to elevated ammonia issues - all too common with us folks...
  8. Carnation4000

PEM vs. detoxing

I know I'm coming in a little late but wanted to add a couple of things. I was having a lot of problems with lymphatic congestion a few months ago but I'm doing better now. A couple of things helped me more than anything else: 1 - doing the Shaking Tree Quigong exercise: . You can do it as...
  9. Carnation4000

PON1 mutations, Excess acetylcholine, excess Adrenaline

Hi DannyBex, So sorry to be so long replying to this. I ended up in the hospital recently and it took a while before I even cracked open my computer. Plus I had to avoid this site as there can be information overload, and I just couldn't handle it. Unfortunately, I don't have any studies I...
  10. Carnation4000

The things that made the most difference for me - kinda in order: The hot water trick. It releases so much acetylcholine - enough so that I could sleep right after. CBD Nettle - who knew? It also helps lower histamine. Willow But a mix of several supplements like elderberry, willow, and...
  11. Carnation4000

Sounds like you might be doing better just by avoiding food sources of choline but I still want to add a few suggestions. About six months ago I took some bentonite clay to clean up my gut after a minor food poisoning event. I guess my gut was still irritated, and the clay caused horrible...
  12. Carnation4000

Help - I've overdone something re methylation and I don't know what

Thanks so much for your information. I didn't go into very much detail as it would take all night - ha ha. I don't take a multivitamin these days and take EVERYTHING separately. My little corner of the house looks like a pharmacy. I am always very carefully trying to balance every...
  13. Carnation4000

Help - I've overdone something re methylation and I don't know what

I hesitate to post on this subject as I'm biology challenged unlike a lot of folks here but thought I would mention something that has helped me recently. First let me say that folate heavy food causes serious sweating, insomnia, and inflammation in me. I have not taken a methylated form of a...
  14. Carnation4000

Does Butyrate make you sick at first?

About six months ago I tried Butyrate and felt pretty crappy from it. Couldn't figure out why but didn't worry about it - just moved it to the back of my supplements cabinet. But then I recently had my DNA run through GeneticsLifeHack.com and found a clue why the Butyrate didn't work for me...
  15. Carnation4000

Extreme sensitivity to MSG causing severe insomnia - any ideas?

Hi @Mary! So ashamed I didn't get back in a timely fashion. Got involved in multiple computer problems and just haven't been online much lately. I know what you mean about getting used to staying away from foods containing MSG. I'm still a little careful not to overload with MSG. I still...
  16. Carnation4000

@Mary Hey Mary - say, I was looking at Datis Kharrazian's website and thought about you and this thread. This article, "Oral Tolerance Part I: Sensitive to multiple foods and not getting better? Here’s why" provides real food for thought! Have to say, I have his book, "Why Isn't My Brain...
  17. Carnation4000

Anyways, I'm very glad to hear you're doing better! and thanks so much for the update :thumbsup: Thanks Mary! Yeah...I've been taking digestive enzymes with HCL for years, so I know my stomach acid is OK. But thanks for the suggestion! My naturopath said I had a genetic issue involving...
  18. Carnation4000

What do I do about my dementia? (UK)

Cheryl, so hard to hear your story. Plenty of good recommendations so I won't even touch any of that. I'll just tell you about my experience. I'm 59 and have had "typical" senior moments - mostly the inability to remember words. When that began to happen more often and feel more intense, I...
  19. Carnation4000

@Mary Hope you're doing well! I haven't been around as I was just worn out and discouraged but I have some good news! So, the hypersensitivity got worse, to the point of rashes on my abdomen. Yikes! It reminded me of my husband who breaks out in similar rashes ever since he had chemotherapy...
  20. Carnation4000

intermittent fasting study

Wolfcub - you sound like my husband. So as wonderful as IF has been for me (and I mean WONDERFUL), it would be horrible for him. The minute he gets hungry, he turns into, well, a wolfcub - LOL ;-) Yup - what's good for one person might be poison for another. Makes trying to figure out...
  21. Carnation4000

intermittent fasting study

I've been doing Intermittent Fasting (usually about 16:8 to 18:6) for about 7 months on the advice of my Naturopath, and I am so very grateful, thankful, happy to have found this. Losing weight has been almost impossible for about 20 years (I'm almost 60). I'm MTHFR positive and always seem to...
  22. Carnation4000

@Mary So glad to know a fellow user!! ;) Almost every time I explain it to someone, I get the "oh I see...she's a nut" look :cautious: But, like you said, it has helped me sooo much!! It helps incredibly with taking supplements - keeps me from taking too much or too little. And so many...
  23. Carnation4000

@Mary Yup - Far Infrared sauna. If nothing else, they sure help with inflammation - as long as no worse symptoms pop up like herx - yuk. 1 - Detox - Like you I used to have some bad detox symptoms but my pathways seem much better these days. I know anytime I've used an Infrared sauna, I felt...
  24. Carnation4000

Oh well...just a thought. But so glad to hear you are doing better!!! That is the important thing!! I so totally understand your frustration with that feeling of .....well I used to be able to eat/ drink/ take this without a problem. Arghhhh!
  25. Carnation4000

@bertiedog Pam - any chance your high Vitamin C dose is causing iron overload? I thought about this thread while reading this article: http://freetheanimal.com/2015/06/enrichment-theory-everything.html
  26. Carnation4000

Have to mention a possibly positive development. I know all this hypersensitivity is causing inflammation. So, I decided to try an infrared sauna. I've used them before, and I always feel great but I wasn't sure if this would help with the whole glutamate hypersensitivity issue but figured it...
  27. Carnation4000

@Mary - yup - we're all so different. Makes figuring all this out such a nightmare! I'm being very careful with Taurine but so far it's great for me. Good thing since I can't take Valerian. Good luck with the magnesium! I would be very interested to know how magnesium chloride works for you...
  28. Carnation4000

Mary - you are speaking the awful truth!! Yes, sometimes it just feels like I'm doomed. I try and be so careful with any supplements, research like crazy before I try something. Even so, like you with the pantothenic acid, I find out the one thing interferes with the other....Noooooooo...
  29. Carnation4000

Does anyone have any ideas about how I might be able to reduce this sensitivity? My main symptom is extreme insomnia, not being able to go to sleep until after 3:30 a.m. I've read that low B6 may help alleviate this, but I already take 100 mg. a day (if I take if at night, IT causes insomnia for...
  30. Carnation4000

Overmethylation and weight gain (MTHFR)

Thanks so much! Will definitely take a look.