• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. learning

ME/CFS for 18 years, recently diagnosed with D-Lactic acidosis as cause of symptoms and illness.

This is all making perfect sense to me. My problem was lactic acidosis confirmed by cutting sugar and carbs out of my diet. All symptoms have been gone for 2 months. Bacterial over growth is converting glucose into lactic acid. It would make sense that the "cure" if any would involve probiotics...
  2. learning

Songs repeating in head constantly

This happens to me all the time. It must be something that us CFS sufferers have in common. I wish I knew what causes it. To much of this or not enough of that... if you find out let me know because I will go crazy if i hear this song one more time... oh wait, there it goes again.
  3. learning

L-carnosine

If carnosine is so good for you then why is our body releasing carnosinase enzyme to break it down so fast?
  4. learning

L-canavanine - A cause of autoimmune disease?

You have got me there. I'm not referring to food in general. Just our source of protein.
  5. learning

That is a lot of alfalfa sprouts. but other plant proteins like gluten which have been increased due to genetic modifications (to help us) have been known to cause problems as well. We aren't plants. We are animals and IMO we should be getting our proteins from animal sources. Not plant proteins.
  6. learning

Lupus erythematosus is a collection of autoimmune diseases. So saying that "this has to do with Lupus and not autoimmune disease" is like saying "we are getting fructose from apples and not from fruit". “L-canavanine is a common non-protein amino acid found naturally in alfalfa sprouts, broad...
  7. learning

L-carnosine

lol. funny... I know that you cant trust reviews on amazon but some of the comments about this are unreal. https://www.amazon.com/BulkSupplements-Pure-L-Carnosine-Powder-grams/dp/B00H2KJO3A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1
  8. learning

"L-canavanine, affects B-cell function resulting in autoimmune phenomena and providing a new animal model of autoimmunity, a diet-induced systemic lupus erythematosus." Taken from here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3876146 I know... it's only a preliminary test on mice but if it is...
  9. learning

L-carnosine

Very interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing about your results. I would recommend to start slow and make sure your body reacts ok to it the first time. We like to hear good news around here. ;) Keep us posted.
  10. learning

Thyroid Megathread

We might be on to something here: There seems to be some link between dopamine and thyroid function. "dopamine administration was associated with reduced serum concentrations of growth hormone, TSH, T4, and prolactin after 12 hours of administration in very low birth weight infants [3]. The...
  11. learning

The missing link

Some good things to think about here. Thanks for sharing. I actually have been exparamexperi with b1 with some positive results. I'm starting to realize that there are a few ways that lactic acid can build up in the system. Lactic acid producing bacteria, b1 deficiency, calcification of the...
  12. learning

Thyroid Megathread

This sounds right to me, but then what is dopamine's role in it?
  13. learning

Calcium Paradox

I ordered the test. Thanks for the advice.
  14. learning

Calcium Paradox

I have tried vitamin D in the past. It seemed to make my symptoms worse. Especially this crackling sound in the back of my neck. I really should have my vitamin D levels checked. Unfortunately doctors in Canada don't test for that. Any idea how I could get it checked without having to drive to...
  15. learning

New Scientist: Metabolic switch may bring on chronic fatigue syndrome

you might want to read this: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1471-4159.2009.06151.x
  16. learning

Thyroid Megathread

I'm trying to make sense of all this... basically manganese has an effect on thyroid function but it is not well understood. thyroid needs manganese to function but too much manganese causes thyroid problems?
  17. learning

Calcium Paradox

@pamojja - thank you for sharing your experiences. it's nice to hear that you're feeling better and finding out what works for you. There are a lot of similarities with our situations but also a lot of differences. I'm still not sure what to make of the whole calcium situation since calcium and...
  18. learning

Calcium Paradox

Can you please describe the muscle cramps? would you say a random muscle is clenching up and you can't release it which causes pain? Have you ever had twitching all over your body?
  19. learning

Calcium Paradox

Your body can take calcium from your bones as needed. So having low serum calcium for two years is strange. How much calcium do you ingest on a daily basis now? And how much vitamin D?
  20. learning

Is there any significance to never feeling 'sick'?

I haven't been "sick" with cold/flu in about 7 years. I think it is because I have high lactic acid. Good for destroying other pathogens, but bad for fatigue and muscle soreness.
  21. learning

Calcium Paradox

how did you know that your calcium was low?
  22. learning

Calcium Paradox

Thanks for posting this. I agree that too much intracellular calcium is a problem. That is what 99% of the video is about. The one thing I'm not sure about is if eating dietary calcium increases intracellular calcium or if eating a diet with low/no calcium it worse. So far that video is the only...
  23. learning

Calcium Paradox

THIS... When the body is in motion, and muscles are using atp, the byproduct is lactic acid. Calcium is needed to buffer the acid inside cells. Too much calcium can cause the mitochondria to calcify. Damaged mitochondria do not function. The only question is does a high or low calcium diet...
  24. learning

Supplements seem to have zero effect on me

pspa123 - have you had hair mineral analysis testing done? Its not very expensive and helped to answer a lot of questions for me.
  25. learning

You would only experience changes to your symptoms if you start taking something that your body needs. For example if you are deficient in vitamin b1 and you start taking it you will know that you needed it. If your body already has enough, it will excrete the excess and you shouldn't feel...
  26. learning

most supplements do not have immediate effects and you might have a very slow metabolism. have you ever taken 100 mcg of niacin and experienced skin flushing about 30 minutes later?
  27. learning

Calcium Paradox

You seem to be correct. I read this quote: "when less calcium is eaten, blood calcium may increase, along with calcium in many organs and tissues" Taken from this article: http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/calcium.shtml by Dr. Ray Peat
  28. learning

Calcium Paradox

Anyone know how to solve this? Eat less calcium?
  29. learning

Calcium Paradox

This might explain the lactic acid link related to CFS in so many of us. "Magnesium and potassium are mainly intracellular ions, sodium and calcium are mainly extracellular ions. When cells are excited, stressed, or de-energized, they lose magnesium and potassium, and take up sodium and...
  30. learning

Lactic Acidosis from Probiotics

That is interesting... maybe rice has some properties of resisting bacteria, but I doubt it. I will look into it.