• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. S

Carmine Pariante's MRC research award-Persistent fatigue induced by interferon-alpha

There's a forum thread just for this new study here: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/persistent-fatigue-induced-by-interferon-alpha-a-novel-inflammation-based-proxy-model-of-cfs.62434/ It would be nice if discussion continued in just one place, but I'm not sure how to get that...
  2. S

New from Nick Brown: how psychology incentivises bad science

Simon, this is fine by me. :) A.B.: Most psychologists reject everything Freud ever said, for all kinds of reasons, notably because of his circular reasoning and lack of falsifiability. What I always find amusing, however, is how psychologists' own behaviour is so Freudian in so many ways...
  3. S

Nick Brown (good science star): My (current) position on the PACE trial

This is a good summary of how I feel, including the cornflakes. :) Hmmm. I presumed he would have a position on this (most doctors do), but I didn't know what it was. And if it ends up going to the Medicine Balls desk, it will certainly be him deciding. On the other hand, if it goes to the...
  4. S

Lots of interesting reading here, and I did appreciate Jonathan Edwards' comment on my blog. Clearly there is a big story to be written here. I hope I can get Private Eye interested. I just had a brief part in a very interesting exchange on Twitter ( is one of the tweets in the thread...
  5. S

The bureaucracy I see here is King's College. Whoever "owns" the data, it's very likely not the named researchers; it will be an institution. Before someone at level 5 of that institution's hierarchy can hand over that data, they need to know that there will be no comeback from levels 4, 3, 2...
  6. S

It certainly sounds pretty bad. But I'm not in a position to evaluate it in any meaningful way. Again: I don't think these people are in any way maliciously intentioned. The behaviour you're seeing is within what I consider the "normal range" (as in, statistically unexceptional, not that I...
  7. S

Hallo everybody, I'm the author of the blog post in question. Thank you for your kind words, especially Simon. To Marco (*waves across France from Strasbourg*): I think worldbackwards has summed up what I would want to say in reply to your first post. Some people are going to believe the...