• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Tor

Coffee & Methylation: To Stop or Not?

Hey rglr! How are you doing with this? After a week of weaning, yesterday was my first day with zero coffee, now I'm on day 2. Big headache yesterday but Advil helped. My early morning 4am wakeups have returned, but I actually feel energetic and positive! Could be due to starting the methylation...
  2. Tor

Methyl-Folate worsened shortness of breath, anxiety, irritability

@caledonia this guide is SO helpful, thank you!!! I love this forum!
  3. Tor

Hi @Dazey , @Critterina , and @caledonia , I got my 23andme results today! I was wondering if you might be able to interpret this better than me? I'm so hopeful that I have clues now. Thank you in advance! First off, MTHFR is compound heterozygous, not homozygous! I called my doctor to confirm...
  4. Tor

Constant 24/7 tightness in chest/heart

I do not have ME, but was hoping someone might know this symptom. Every day for 5 years now, I have had constant squeezing in my heart from the second I wake up to the second I fall asleep. There is absolutely zero relief from it (not even one minute in the past five years). It is not painful...
  5. Tor

Alright, I'll join you on this one! I want to give it a full year before deciding the effect it has on me. Wishing you the best of luck on this!
  6. Tor

Over the past 5 years, my mental health has been slowly eroding due to some major stressors. I've also been drinking coffee for 5 years, and am wondering if I should cut it out or if it is helping me. I only have one cup in the morning, but it gives me a very strong boost of happiness and...
  7. Tor

Hi @Dazey , your reply gave me so much hope! I've almost never had anyone say "hey me too" when I describe my symptoms (more "uhh wtf"). I'm so glad you've found answers and relief from your dread feeling. It sounds like the methylation protocol has given your mind/body the tools it needs to...
  8. Tor

Thank you @caledonia , these are some wonderful resources! As you learned more about your SNPs and methylation, did the corresponding treatment improve your symptoms? I just want to make sure I'm heading down a helpful path - I know I can be sort of impatient :) My cortisol test showed this...
  9. Tor

Thank you again @Critterina! Your kind & detailed responses mean the world to me. I can't wait to hear back from 23andme as well! My brothers both dealt with addictions to dopamine-boosting stuff (amphetamines), so that might make sense! For me, a bottle of wine would provide some really...
  10. Tor

Drinking coffee improves my sleep. Wait, what?

My sleeping problems all started when I tried to quit coffee - now that I'm "using" again, my sleep is slowly improving but still not where it used to be. Coffee has a very odd effect on me. A lot of people need it to help with energy / fatigue. For me, it gives me a mental boost that makes me...
  11. Tor

Hi @Critterina , thank you so much for your reply! I'm so glad your mom & great aunt were both okay, yikes!! My doctor let me know this feeling isn't a heart attack, but instead a physical manifestation of anxiety/depression. I've had this feeling for years now (constantly, 24x7), and just keeps...
  12. Tor

I don't have ME, but this forum is the most helpful resource ever, so I hope it is okay to post here. My blood test showed that I'm homozygous for the MTHFR mutation - I am 24 years old. This was a huge relief to learn, as my health has been quickly deteriorating over the past few years, and...