• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. TiredSam

Cosmopolitan: Millions of Women Suffer From a Disease That Virtually Sucks the Life Out of Them

Maybe that's just what's to be expected from a combination of Cosmopolitan readers and Twitterers. Seem to be a few men on that cosmo twitter feed who are just there to troll. They must have a lot of time and no life. I know that describes a lot of us too, but what's their excuse?
  2. TiredSam

Some concerns about homeopathy

I would say no. I wouldn't see a fortune teller at the top of her field for free either. Or a bio-resonance practitioner. If it's junk, I don't see how seeing the best practitioner for free makes it any less junk.
  3. TiredSam

Why We Find And Expose Bad Science (food science)

I did like this. It applies not only to Psycho Social Club members such as Wessley and Crawley, who are unable to see criticism of their work as anything other than a personal attack, but also to some proponents of some therapies who take personal offence when their views aren't simply accepted...
  4. TiredSam

Neurobiological idea for some of the psychiatric stuff maybe?

@MAOAr297r has now introduced himself here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/hi.54886/ Not quite sure about the senior member thing, could have been my mistake crossing the wrong box when I let him through the door. Not saying it was, just could have been. He has now been...
  5. TiredSam

Why We Find And Expose Bad Science (food science)

Sounds familiar. Very good article, makes some good points very relevant to our situation.
  6. TiredSam

Research Check: can ‘Lightning Process’ coaching program help youths with chronic fatigue?

Well they'd have to think up a new line for putting people under, because the traditional "You are feeling sleeeeepy ..." might backfire on them.
  7. TiredSam

Breaking News! UK ME/CFS Biobank team receives largest ever grant to continue biomedical research pr

I'm sure there will be a new forum somewhere with all the same faces. EDIT: The initiation ceremony involves two dowsing rods and a pint of Adnams, so it should be right up your street :thumbsup:
  8. TiredSam

Belgian newspaper Nieusblad has reported that De Meirleir is being prosecuted

Well then they've found a soft target in KDM. I wouldn't rally around him just like I wouldn't rally around Sarah Myhill. There are quite a few M.E. researchers and doctors I have huge respect for, but not those two. For me when I realised I had M.E. and there was nothing on offer in Germany it...
  9. TiredSam

He has his supporters on PR so I've learnt not to go on about it, but I completely agree with you. Sends patients for expensive tests to labs where he has a financial interest, then sells them "treatments" in which he has a financial interest. Seems to prefer taking out patents to publications...
  10. TiredSam

Hardly, unless you took him seriously in the first place.
  11. TiredSam

Help! Daughter's university doing flawed study tying parents perceived illness to students neuroses

Firstly I would not respond or engage at all. All surveys have a percentage of people who don't respond and you are perfectly entitled to be in it. If you decide to respond because of the credit blackmail thing (which is disgraceful and should be challenged or ignored too) then why don't you...
  12. TiredSam

Income protection policies and ME/CFS: Important legal judgement involving Friends Provident (UK)

Excellent judgement, well worth a read, and not too much legal babble so interesting for a lay reader too.
  13. TiredSam

Income protection policies and ME/CFS: Important legal judgement involving Friends Provident (UK)

point 18: Looks like they missed a trick there. Or were advised that Wesselybabble, whilst sufficient in some quarters, may not stand up in the High Court.
  14. TiredSam

Do we know who Jennifer Brea's doctor is?

Maybe she just looks well? Don't we all? We have no idea what she has to go through before and after her interviews to perform at that level, but I suspect her few minutes on camera will come with a lot of preparation and a heavy price tag. She might even feel like total crap while she's...
  15. TiredSam

It would be interesting to know whether this case sets any kind of precedent, for example did the insurance policy have an exclusion for mental health conditions and was this held by the High Court (so binding on all lower courts) not to apply to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? There could be a few...
  16. TiredSam

So the sufferer has to comply with the doctor so as not to jeopardize insurance payments. The doctor says be active. The sufferer complies by being active. The insurance company films the sufferer being active and says "see, he's not ill, we don't have to pay!" Nice scam.
  17. TiredSam

Unrest for preorder on iTunes

Also available on googleplaystore, whatever that is: https://play.google.com/store/movies/details/Unrest?id=FF07E3DA4F4E80ABMV And Amazon:
  18. TiredSam

CDC still looks like it plans to eliminate the $5.4 million annual budget for CFS

I read this as "The F*** YOU 2018 budget request ..." It's that time between getting up and eating something ...
  19. TiredSam

Grey and white matter differences in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Now that is an oxymoron @Wonko @BruceInOz . Couldn't they just cut out the middle man and say "physical cause of symptoms"? Or are they seriously suggesting that a physical cause leads to a psychosomatic response that causes physical symptoms? Sounds like someone's slipped an unnecessary layer...
  20. TiredSam

Dutch fatigue scientists getting worried

This shouldn't be a question of who has the superior powers of imagination, or how easy or difficult it is to imagine something. Why not just ask the patients? http://www.meassociation.org.uk/2015/05/23959/
  21. TiredSam

ALL Countries Please sign the MEA's new petition to NICE:do not classify ME as 'functional'

Lately the psycho they've been talking about is Esther Crawley. Before that it was Wessely.
  22. TiredSam

BPSers using new research to justify psychological treatments

My body does have a voice. It's called my voice. And it would say "if your head had a brain, what would you have studied instead of homeopathy?"
  23. TiredSam

More from Science Medica Centre on SMILE

Clutching at straw men perhaps.
  24. TiredSam

ALL Countries Please sign the MEA's new petition to NICE:do not classify ME as 'functional'

Functional disorders arise when a psychologist who promotes functional disorders says "you have a functional disorder". The psychologist then has no remedy except to blame / abuse the patient for not getting better. Some psychologists seem happy to make a career out of this, and whenever a...
  25. TiredSam

When @charles shepherd said on the radio recently that the trial should have been conducted on patients with three arms, it did occur to me that this might be open to misinterpretation, but once again the SMC have excelled themselves by deliberately misrepresenting what patient advocates have...
  26. TiredSam

Looks like he may be swallowing the "vexatious patient" narrative to me. Pointing out the bad science regarding the BPS approach to M.E. should be a no-brainer, most of the work's already been done for him. People making a name for themselves as debunkers by going for soft targets like...
  27. TiredSam

28th Sept: The cost of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) to the UK economy

That is not something you will ever hear an M.E. sufferer say. Or would anyone here feel a bit glum if he stopped following us?