• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. J

Beyond Tired: Is chronic fatigue syndrome a real medical condition? (Neurology Now)

Sad and discouraging that this is the general state of knowledge regarding CFS, primitive quasi-medical information that ignores any current research on immune dysfunctions and other underlying medical causes. Obviously this is a poorly researched blog or column and not a scholarly article by...
  2. J

Depression/Anxiety Differential Diagnosis.

There's no reason why someone can not have CFS and depression/anxiety at the same time. In fact, it's completely natural to get depressed when one is coping with a chronic debilitating illness (in which case the depression would be secondary to the fatigue). Though some of the symptoms overlap...
  3. J

Post Exertion Infection

Does anyone know if there is research about using steroid medications after exertion to decrease possible immuno-inflammatory effects and disrupt PEM process (such as dexamethasone which, as per Wikipedia, has anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressant effects)?
  4. J

Post Exertion Infection

Agreed, this is tough to differentiate and there might be different types of fatigue mechanisms underlying the physical and the mental parts of the illness. I also agree that the brain probably contributes to the feeling of fatigue in order to prevent the body from damaging itself. For example...
  5. J

Post Exertion Infection

After approximately 20 years of this illness, I can say my symptoms only occur post-exertion. I know I'm fatigued because my resting heart rate is about 20 bpm higher and I can feel my body working harder at rest. While I experienced brain fog and muscle aches consistently for the first 10...
  6. J

Post Exertion Infection

So are you implying that the cytokine/inflammatory response (sickness behavior) causes an ACTUAL disruption in energy production, a PERCEIVED disruption in energy production, or NO affect on energy production? (By energy production I guess I am referring to the body's ability to utilize ATP...
  7. J

Post Exertion Infection

Hip's description is entirely biologic so it's unclear where the confusion (and suspicion) comes in (unless the word "behavior" is a trigger for some). It's clear that for some people exercise results in a flu-like response. While I don't think "sickness behavior" is the clearest terminology...
  8. J

Mitochondrial Function Profile (Acumen Laboratories, Biolab) via Dr. Myhill

@Mary, Thanks for the info about drawing blood from a hospital, I didn't realize one could have that done and receive the sample from them. Dr Myhill isn't taking new patients but it seems she is offering interpretations of this test. On the one hand, I would love to see a test that actually...
  9. J

Mitochondrial Function Profile (Acumen Laboratories, Biolab) via Dr. Myhill

Hi, I'm interested in getting this test done but I live in the U.S. and would have to have the specimen shipped overseas. I'm not clear how to go about that, are there labs (Quest, for example) that will draw blood and then turn it over to you so you can send it via Fedex or DHL? Or does the lab...
  10. J

Questions about Anaerobic Threshold and Exercise

@Sherlock, Thanks for linking the baking soda thread. As it's 19 pages it will take me some time to go through it and see if there is anything I can use. @helen41, the thread describing your VO2max testing is very informative too and clarifies for me some of the science behind AT and...
  11. J

@Sushi, thanks for the advice. I spent my twenties periodically pushing myself to do more, and then crashing for weeks not knowing how long it would take or if I would ever feel better, a miserable experience. Its been a slow process but I've accepted my limitations to a large extent and...
  12. J

I don't remember the last time I attempted the light exercise or felt up to it, which is why I want to find a way to be better in control of the symptoms, or at least be able to measure my levels of exertion better to that end. Yes, the job definitely takes a lot out of me. If I pace myself as...
  13. J

@Amaya2014, I agree with what you say. In fact I think the heart rate monitor will help me not only with exercise but with my general limitations as well. In fact this weekend I'm experiencing a minor crash. Its very frustrating because I have not exercised lately but this has been a long week...
  14. J

Hi, I want to use a heart rate monitor in order to avoid PEM, but after doing a lot of reading about the anaerobic threshold (AT) and energy pathways, I'm still a little confused as to some of the the mechanisms involved with fatigue and PEM. Here is my understanding, please help me to...
  15. J

Has anyone achieved remission or recovery from treatment by any doctor?

Agreed, this question is important for many reasons. I'm new to this forum (though not new to the symptoms unfortunately) and after viewing thread after thread including every imaginable combination of vitamins, supplements, and treatments under the sun, I thought it would be great to hear about...
  16. J

During a crash cant fall asleep. keep startling awake all nite

There are a lot of good audio guided relaxations to be found on Youtube, just search for "guided meditation", "progressive muscle relaxation", "deep breathing", etc and listen to a few to find one that helps you relax and breath more deeply. Even if your sleeping issues and fatigue are not...
  17. J

Mitochondrial dysfunction - mainstream view in CFS or not?

Over the years I've found that each doctor comes at the problem from a particular perspective. For example, I worked briefly with Dr. Enlander and he worked primarily from an immune perspective treating with immunomodulators and antivirals. Another doctor worked from a hormonal perspective...
  18. J

During a crash cant fall asleep. keep startling awake all nite

Hi, one of the ways that I know if I over-exerted myself is having a raised heart rate at rest, which causes anxiety and makes it very hard to fall asleep even when I'm exhausted. I usually don't immediately realize that my body is working so hard at rest until I lay down and I can feel my heart...