• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Ember

Beware of Aiding in the Burial of ME!

Would “all the researchers that are currently studying ME/CFS” quit en masse because ME patients want them to use our research definition? Before they were ignored almost five years ago, our experts wrote, “The expert biomedical community will continue to refine and update the case definition as...
  2. Ember

You"ve quoted Nielk above, who wrote: And you've countered: Please recall, if you will, this statement: “We strongly urge you to abandon efforts to reach out to groups such as the Institute of Medicine (IOM) that lack the needed expertise to develop ‘clinical diagnostic criteria’ for ME/CFS.”...
  3. Ember

Isn’t CFS an inclusion term under ICD-10 Diagnosis Code R53.82? According to Dr. Bateman, calling the IOM definition ME “would have created even more confusion:”
  4. Ember

David Tuller NEW crowd funder has 500 less donations than last year so far

Thanks for letting me know. I've asked that the link in my post be disabled, as it's too late now for me to edit. You might want to disable the link in your post as well.
  5. Ember

David Tuller about an hour ago When I launched this year's crowdfunding campaign with a goal of $75,000, I wrote that I hoped to exceed that target, as happened last year. The extra money, I wrote, would go toward travel expenses and/or to increase my Berkeley position slightly above 50 %. Now...
  6. Ember

6 days left Project ends on April 30, at 11:59 PM PDT Give Now “If I overshoot my goal—and I hope I do, as I did last year—the additional funds will be used to increase my compensated time beyond 50% and/or to cover more travel costs. I would be delighted to be able to spend more than half my...
  7. Ember

Suddenly: $74,591 99% Raised toward our $75,000 Goal 821 Donors
  8. Ember

In Memory of Bob: A tribute from his friends

I remember Bob’s sense of accomplishment when he saw that he had notched 10,000 posts on Phoenix Rising! Take a look at his post and others commemorating that happy occasion. Mark suggested that Bob be considered a ‘hero member:’ :rocket::star:
  9. Ember

Dr. Klimas compares GWI and ME/CFS, decries low ME/CFS funding

Back in 2013, Dr. Broderick described alternate resting states found in males suffering from GWI and CFS. He presented pilot data suggesting that, as a persistent state, CFS is quite far removed from the ones that occur naturally. “You would need an external force to keep you at that attractor”...
  10. Ember

First Canadian ME conference, May 3-5 in Montreal

Dr. Gordon Broderick, a native Canadian, made these hopeful comments back in 2013: In the same year, Dr. Broderick described alternate resting states found in males suffering from GWI and CFS. He presented here pilot data from a 4-year, $4-M effort integrating computational and animal models to...
  11. Ember

Pineapple fund--donation to OMF increased to $5 million!

Thank you Pineapple Fund for delivering hope to millions...
  12. Ember

The fifth million is also shown to have transferred: Received Time 2018-02-07 11:16:41
  13. Ember

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-bitcoin-philanthropy/anonymous-bitcoin-philanthropist-donates-5-million-to-medicine-foundation-idUSKBN1FM2G4
  14. Ember

Discovery Forum 2017 (SMCI): Presentation by Dr. Ian Lipkin

Some quotations:
  15. Ember

Transcript & audio of Nov. 28 NIH telebriefing now available

Rebecca Taurog argues, “You’re saying the science drives it and we’re not getting enough good grants to fund in ME/CFS, but we all know that there are grants that are not being funded that are by top scientists (54:30 – 54:45).” Amid the obfuscation, this telebriefing highlights some...
  16. Ember

Llewellyn King interviews Dr. Lipkin: ME/CFS Alert, Episode 95

Dr. Lipin’s projection seems to confirm Dr. Klimas’ comments here: She adds:
  17. Ember

Llewellyn King interviews Dr. Lipkin: ME/CFS Alert, Episode 95

Dr. Lipkin comments on his involvement and on funding levels:
  18. Ember

What are seminal studies in ME research?

Here’s a shorter version: “Beyond Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Redefining an Illness provides a literature review based on over 9,000 studies. It concluded that ME/CFS is a multi-system disease often preceded by an immune challenge.” The IOM report also provides criteria...
  19. Ember

The description of the Institute of Medicine Report does include this accolade: “A panel of experts reviewed over 9,000 separate studies to produce it.” That’s what led me to offer information for a parallel introduction.
  20. Ember

The sections of the #MEAction summary highlight metabolism, exercise, neurological and immunological findings. In addition to the IOM report, the “General Information” section might mention the ICC considering that it defines ME as a complex disease involving profound dysregulation of the...
  21. Ember

Dr. Klimas frames the funding problem as one of portfolio management: The NIH, by contrast, provides no apparent mechanism for clinical trials: “So where are we in ME/CFS? You know, you’re looking at this thing and you’re saying: ‘Our NIH RFA is nice. It’s all about pathogenesis and what are...
  22. Ember

New blog - CDC’s Staged Call

The only thing that changed when Dr. Unger took over from Dr. Reeves was the tone: Dr. Unger was setting her own stage back then.
  23. Ember

plan for no cure and hope you're wrong

Your doctor suggested that you’d found something sufficiently motivating to get you out of bed? ME patients can generate lists of activities that they’re motivated to perform. And they can tell you what happens when they try. Just as you did. Congratulations on surviving your doctor’s ignorance...
  24. Ember

According to Dr. Naviaux, cellular miscommunication patterns maintain ME, GWI and some autoimmune diseases: The systemic signalling errors described here do seem eerily analogous to “false illness beliefs,” i.e., danger responses in need of a reset. Meanwhile, we suffer the mistaken assessments...
  25. Ember

Rituximab Phase III - Negative result

Try this: THE INTERNATIONAL CONSENSUS CRITERIA What is it? Do I fit the criteria? Posted by MEadvocacy Advisory-Committee 5sc on October 29, 2016
  26. Ember

Rituximab Phase III - Negative result

Maria writes, “Perhaps there are subgroups within the Canadian criteria? However, the criteria are useful as a way to compare results from the different studies" (Posted on November 21, 2017 by Maria Gjerpe.) Shown graphically here, the ICC is narrower than either the CCC or Fukuda. And the ICC...
  27. Ember

The “Climbing the Mountain” slide, along with the graphic showing altered signalling pathways, suggests that a “snap out of it” remedy is being applied to a systemic “false illness belief.” Aren’t autoimmune diseases maintained by similar systemic "false illness beliefs?"
  28. Ember

Complex Chronic Disease Program (CCDP) Patient Engagement Findings

For me, CCDP support in terms of counselling, nutrition (no referral), info, etc. was hugely disappointing. But I appreciated the medical attention. Initially, I was taken to be a responder to immunovir; later I was started on iron supplements and LDN. Then I was discharged, despite a notation...
  29. Ember

New blog - CDC’s Staged Call

After almost three years, the research expected to fix the SEID criteria has failed to materialize: CDC foot-dragging, aided and abetted by Dr. Unger’s multi-site study, is such a disgrace! Let’s recognize the refinement represented already by the ICC.