• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. H

Would strong antibiotics relieve CFS or M.E symptoms?

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I thought I would add to this thread just help keep a diary of what I have been experiencing. Since March my Doctor has prescribed a 1 week course of Ciprofloxacin followed by indefinite course of Trimethoprim. This kept me in apparently normal health while I...
  2. H

Do probiotics work with antibiotics? Please forgive my ignorance but I assumed the antibiotics, particularly Ciprofloxacin, would kill all the good bacteria in the probiotics. I should stress that that is nothing more than my assumption and has no basis in fact.
  3. H

Thankyou all for your suggestions and advice. I have contacted KDM to see how long it would take to get an appointment with him and to "get the ball rolling" but now, having read more about the condition I have to see the hospital about next month, I am convinced my fatigue and that condition...
  4. H

Very interesting and I will investigate KDM and other Doctors further. Next month I have to see a consultant at my hospital about an issue that may or may not be linked to my condition. Given the NHS' poor reputation for dealing with the type of conditions we have discussed here do you think I...
  5. H

May I ask what they did to investigate the symptoms you were suffering from? Also were you able to treat your problem effectively afterwards?
  6. H

Do you know where I would begin looking for Doctor for who would be willing to look into this? I'm in the UK near to Birmingham.
  7. H

Original poster digging up an old 'ish thread. Despite having several months of almost normal life today I have come to accept that the antibiotics no longer offer me any relief. Since starting this thread I was prescribed Doxycycline which did have an effect for about 6 weeks but my...
  8. H

Nope, I've never had anything like that. I've been back to a normal days work today so will keep that up for as long as I can. I'll be back in touch if I start suffering again. Once again, thanks all of you for sharing your knowledge.
  9. H

Just got back from my appointment and the diagnosis is that there's nothing wrong with me. The Doctor put the fatigue down to a post viral reaction and probably not helped by working too hard and not getting enough rest. Possibly lacking vitamin D as I suffered something similar this time last...
  10. H

You have all been more than helpful. I'm looking forward to my appointment tomorrow morning and will update you when I return.
  11. H

I'm a 33 year old male and the symptoms of the UTI that the Cipro was prescribed for were inflamed and swollen wedding vegetables and I was p'in custard. Don't know what caused it but I had had surgery to dilate my urethra about 12 months prior to the first episode. I seem to have made quite a...
  12. H

Thanks Jonathan, Yes, I have been taking my temperature daily over the last month it has never fluctuated far between 35.5c and 36.5c. Having gone through my NHS G.P to date, mostly locums as there has been a tragedy within my local surgery, I have arranged an appointment with a private...
  13. H

If this is a recurring infection is it likely that I would show no other symptoms. Why don't I have a fever for instance?
  14. H

Thanks, This time last year I had a nasty UTI which amoxicillin apparently cleared. By Christmas I returned to my GP complaining of constant tiredness, lack of strength and aching all over. He said I had flu but just hadn't developed the cold symptoms. A few weeks of bed rest and that episode...
  15. H

Forgive me if that question is in any way ignorant or disrepectful to M.E or anyone suffering from the condition but it is significant to whatever I am suffering from. I do not yet understand how this illness works. If I take 1000mg of Ciprofloxacin per day for three or four days all my...