• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Iritu1021

Odd reactions to stimulants post-illness

P.S. One more thing specifically about Ritalin is that it’s a 5HT1A agonist. You can read on my blog (“Breaking Through The Fog” post) that I later attributed a lot of what I thought initially “adrenergic” symptoms to serotonergic effects mediated by 5HT1A and 5HT2A receptors. Adderal and...
  2. Iritu1021

Odd reactions to stimulants post-illness

Hi, it’s been a while since I’ve been here but I saw that I got tagged so I thought I would comment some more on my stimulant misadventure nice I’m a few years wiser than last time I’ve been here and people are reporting things I recognize from my own past. 1. There is an issue of...
  3. Iritu1021

Nutraceutical recommendations for COVID-19 from IFM

Yes, licorice works, but Forsythia and Honeysuckle appear even better based on molecular docking analysis study. I stocked up on a TCM formula Cold Sign Off that has all three of these herbs. Not taking it yet since we're under stay home orders but it's good to have on hand when the social...
  4. Iritu1021

Add to that the fact that 85% of patients in China were given TCM herbs in addition to Western medicine and all of the population was placed on herbal prophylaxis which was already developed during SARS and MERS epidemics.
  5. Iritu1021

It also might be that the iron absorption effect only refers to the oral route of administration.
  6. Iritu1021

I don’t know enough chemistry to understand the hydrogen peroxide conversion but the one concern I have with Vit C is that it increases iron absorption, which might be counterproductive.
  7. Iritu1021

There is a letter published in the Journal of Critical Care from Italian pulmonologists who believe that it's not ARDS but more like HAPE (High Altitude Pulmonary Edema) picture. That's based on the fact that oxygen exchange looks really good and hypoxia is due to loss of local blood pressure...
  8. Iritu1021

Hmm... I'm confused, how can it be an oxidizing agent and an antioxidant at the same time?
  9. Iritu1021

The Functional Medicine Approach to COVID-19: Virus-Specific Nutraceutical and Botanical Agents
  10. Iritu1021

Coronavirus what’s going on with “numbers” and the “modeling”? Do we need a closer look and a do over of the “model” and the “numbers”?

I thought this article was excellent in explaining many of the mortality rate bias among countries. https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200401-coronavirus-why-death-and-mortality-rates-differ
  11. Iritu1021

Agmatine

The 2 herniated discs were a new problem for me (more excruciating and with some loss of right arm use rather than purely confided to the neck as with my stenosis/os) but the neck pain I've had for at least ten years. Based on what I heard from the pain doctor I saw, it appears that the exact...
  12. Iritu1021

Coronavirus what’s going on with “numbers” and the “modeling”? Do we need a closer look and a do over of the “model” and the “numbers”?

The point is not that the mortality rate is intrinsically high. The rate in Hubei, China ranged from 1-12% depending on how overwhelmed the hospitals were in the area. As the number of hospitalizations goes up, we will see a sharp increase in mortality. The other reason the mortality rate is...
  13. Iritu1021

Agmatine

@pattismith sorry for the delayed response, just saw that... hope you and your family are safe in these crazy times! Thank you for reminding me of agmatine, it's a supplement I have at home and I need to experiment with it more. I've dealt with two herniated disks last year and I've realized...
  14. Iritu1021

The Enigma of Sigma Receptors

Hey everyone! I know I've been a stranger to this blog lately - (too much going on IRL right now and not in a good way) but I've finally put down on paper the latest installment to my "intracellular calcium chronicles" and I think this one is huge: sigma receptors. If nobody has yet proposed...
  15. Iritu1021

T3 intracellular calcium and caffeine

That's a great summary @Inara - thank you! @pattismith Last night I was reading a seemingly endless online chapter about sigma-1 and it was almost eerie how it was sort of a potential "unifying theory" for everything else we've talked about: calcium, K and Ca channels, TAAR receptor (back to...
  16. Iritu1021

Intracellular calcium and viruses

Sigma 1 agonist may be a possible solution to CNS calcium dysregulation. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4906365/figure/F0009/?report=objectonly
  17. Iritu1021

T3 intracellular calcium and caffeine

This looks like another promising way to hack into calcium modulation since there are quite a few ligands already out there for this receptor: The sigma-1 receptor (σ1R), one of two sigma receptor subtypes, is a chaperone protein at the endoplasmic reticulum(ER) that modulates calcium signaling...
  18. Iritu1021

T4/T3 combo not found to be better than T4

I also have low cortisol and DHEA but adding either one has never worked for me in terms of my bad T3 reaction. Cortisol on occasion could provide a boost but was never a lasting solution. I will summarize here again what I've written about on my blog since I feel like I'm now able to explain...
  19. Iritu1021

Thyroid hormone is definitely part of the riddle for many. and it's the first step because it can give people the power and ability to think and intuit themselves better, and to tolerate other meds. But it's still just the first step.
  20. Iritu1021

Intracellular calcium and viruses

I've seen one article that said there are some slight differences. Both seem to work against EBV and other herpes family viruses but artesunate was effective against hepatitis while artesimine wasn't.
  21. Iritu1021

Inositol deficiency, a literal footnote (for a foot crack!)

Huh... Do you take orotate or another form? I took 30 mg of LO per day at one point and my lithium level was still undetectable. Another reason could be that maybe this peripheral conversion is linked to hypothalamic settings only works with a certain type of neurochemistry but not with...
  22. Iritu1021

Watch out for increased T3 conversion, or at least that's what LO seems to do in my case (and progesterone too)
  23. Iritu1021

@debored13 Blanchard also thought that not everyone needed T3. I think you said you are taking 25 mcg of T4 - that might not be enough for you. You may need 50 mcg or more. In my experience, other supplements, moods, neurotransmitters, sex hormones, circadian rhythms and cortisol or stress...
  24. Iritu1021

Interesting... I've definitely had strong craving for sesame seeds during my worst times...
  25. Iritu1021

Maybe you can offset it with a bit of lithium? It should have the opposite effect to inositol. It's like in "Alice in Wonderland", when you take a bite from different side of the mushroom to find the right balance.
  26. Iritu1021

Is d-chiro a superior form of inositol?
  27. Iritu1021

or do we have too much neuron firing that makes us waste secondary messengers, like inositol and cAMP??
  28. Iritu1021

Mestinon + Famvir - whoa!

I am pretty sure it will make me hypomanic too then, but perhaps I can get an occasional controlled hypomania if I combine it with a stabilizing agent like gabapentin... I got hypomanic just from traveling to Costa Rica last week and getting sun exposure and shifting my circadian clock to an...
  29. Iritu1021

My ACTH skyrocketed on Cordyceps

Cordyceps (C.sinensis but not C.militaris) has a high concentration of adenosine in it, and adenosine is one of the neurotransmitters involved in regulating hypothalamic function. Itnplays a role in cardivascular function as well.
  30. Iritu1021

Mestinon + Famvir - whoa!

That's awesome to hear! :) I'm very interested in the inositol part of this (it's one of the supplements on my list to try)- can you please elaborate on what dose you took and how long till you noticed changes? I'm also curious, did your MPD/dissociative symptoms improve as well?