• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. V

Do people recover?

I think you are right. A complete recovery should allow one to return to, or, for the first time, train to participate in something like this. Humans are endowed with this capacity for prolonged bouts of physical endurance and it is one of the biological differences that separates us from other...
  2. V

Naviaux et. al.: Metabolic features of chronic fatigue syndrome

If I were a nematode, a bear, or a human, I would use hydrogen sulfide to enter this hypometabolic state. As a human though, I might also figure out a way how to reverse this hypometabolic state. A state where supraphysiological concentrations of hydrogen sulfide induce a reversal of flow in...
  3. V

Prescript Assist caused lingering lymph swelling/fever even after stopping

There are some gram-negative organisms contained in this product that thus contain LPS, but they are not enriched with endotoxins. In fact the outer cell walls of most of the gram negative commensals contain therein have lipids that can neutralize endotoxins to some degree. This is the way...
  4. V

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

& I would predict that the response would be more consistent if the steel cut oats were substituted for oat bran, because it is the arabinoxylan fraction versus the beta glucan that appears to be inducing these changes. Pentose > hexose. In the study you posted, it would be useful if they...
  5. V

Clostridium Butyricum - A Game Changer?

Yes, I think you have some valid points. The accumulation of hydrogen prevents the oxidation of NAD(H) NADP(H) and this has energetic consequences. My focus on SRB is based upon many factors, and while I do think the dysbiotic conditions in ME/CFS is likely marked by considerable species...
  6. V

Cyclophosphamide in ME/CFS Part A:an Open Label Phase-II Study With Six Intravenous Cyclophosphamide

For those considering such a trial, I will mention that the therapeutic effects of CTX in cancer treatment are now thought to be related in part to the induction of intestinal permeability and the attendant translocation of certain microbial organisms. This brings about a robust adaptive...
  7. V

Well that is what an acid is, a proton donor, but you are right this could be problematic. Not CB or its metabolite, butyrate, but the acidity of the colon. What happens when the bowel becomes overly acidic? Why do some people react so adversely to lactic acid bacteria? Butyric acid is mildly...
  8. V

I don't think these products can be readily compared. The Miyarisan product seems to have considerably more potency. Although, I responded favorably to the AOR product.
  9. V

I would operate under the assumption that your exaggerated histamine response is precipitated by a stimulus and that stimulus is lipopolysaccharide, with the foods you are eating having an effect in amplifying this histamine response in the mast cells, macrophages, etc. You have likely...
  10. V

What symptom improvements did you get from this Miyarisan, Vegas, and how long did they take to manifest? Days, weeks, or months? Perhaps it's hard for you to say at this stage, but did you notice further improvements accruing over time, or are the original improvements just holding steady...
  11. V

The Miyarisan strain is a game changer. I believe the benefits conferred can be attributed to more than just the enhanced availability of butyrate. This organism participates in an number of other critical metabolic processes that I think are physiologically relevant, but the increased...
  12. V

Thanks for posting this. As I have written, there is a breakdown in the nitrogen cycle and its implications are numerous. We would seek organisms with both nitrate and nitrite reductase capabilities. By design, many of these commensal organisms also posses rhodanese, which handles hydrogen...
  13. V

so this list commonly includes: kiwi, apples, pears, peaches, plums, coriander, fennel, parsley, celery, cherries, carrots, hazelnuts and almonds. Are these problematic? Lysine & Biotin? I'm not sure I understand the connection. Are you referring to microbial utilization of biotin...
  14. V

You can test this. (Now I sound like the one pushing products.) http://www.iherb.com/BeetElite-Nitric-Oxide-Indicator-Strips-10-Count/58188 I'm inclined to believe that some of the observed bioenergetic gains is attributable to lowering H2S concentrations. I see some discussion of nitrogenous...
  15. V

So what cross reactions are we talking about, tree pollens? If so, what kind. Some of these pectic substances require bacterial "counterparts" for modification. The hydrolysis of polygalacturonic acid is clearly dependent upon numerous microorganisms. Flax seed favorably influences the good...
  16. V

I'm not sure, was there a parallel craving for some high nitrate foods like arugula (I think y'all call that Rocket).
  17. V

Butyrate does do a lot, but elevated H2S concentrations inhibit its oxidation in the colonocytes, and impair respiratory chain function, so you have to deal with that too. That is why I would be curious if beet root powder and flax seed would be of any benefit to you. The source of nitrate is...
  18. V

Thanks for the response. I think there is something to be gained by inhibiting the TLR-4 & MD2 inflammatory pathways. I've had those sinus symptoms, which I think is a positive development. Of course the lymph nodes in my neck have been sore for about 3 years, which is getting old. There is a...
  19. V

Are you getting kickbacks from Miyarisan? (j/k) This really can be a good adjunct to the other prebiotics. It has also been proven to act as a TLR-4 antagonist; which to the uninitiated simply means that minimizes the inflammatory response created by the endotoxins contained as part of...
  20. V

Well, yes and no. Limonene is the most biologically active component in essential citrus oils (AnnelikesRed is our witness), so don't take it lightly. Is it a prebiotic, yes. Rhodococcus & some Pseudomonas. VERY strong activity against Candida, which implies to me that the commensals that...
  21. V

I cannot do justice to this question in the amount of time I have, but a couple of things. The Treg equation is not only tissue specific, and antigen specific, but the functional abilities of these cells is dependent upon mitochondrial energy potential. In this regard, a set concentration of...
  22. V

The GSE might be impacting cholinergic/adrenergic neurotransmission. I'm seeing a lot of patients successfully treat tinnitus with nortriptyline. It's far from an ideal solution to keep pushing up NE, but it is reasonably effective in this role. When they drop the nortriptyline the symptoms...
  23. V

yes, I got rid of the gout stuff recently as well. Hated that. I was hoping to move along phosphofructokinase with the beet. Check out the fructose some time as well.
  24. V

No doubt, maybe I wouldn't have carpal tunnel syndrome from typing all those damn long posts. I'm not bold enough to megadose anything yet. Are you still getting semblances of a sulfur-bacterial die off?
  25. V

I have no idea, just judge by symptoms. I notice that if I take too much, I get adverse symptoms. Activation of cytokines...exactly what I am try to avoid. I think you might want to look at what Sidereal is doing.
  26. V

Yes, I'm not shooting down the synthetic. I'm aware of potential problems with LDN, but if it is an expedient, who the hell cares. You are right, no perfect plant compound, but I do like the mucilage rich plants as largely being among the most anti-inflammatory.
  27. V

I don't put them in the Nutribullet, although I did put some cherry pits in there the other day. Duh! that was stupid!
  28. V

Yes it does, and I would propose that is because of the little guys who metabolize catechins, but if you OD on this, it may lose its effect.
  29. V

Pros and cons to that list. I think you might try some other stuff first. For example, I will be interested to see if Sidereal's tolerance to some of the phenolics improves. I just recently started tolerating turmeric. Which do you do well with and which are negative?
  30. V

@anne_likes_red Orange Peels equals one hell of an insecticide/antimicrobial. Pectin's effects were probably negligible, IMHO. I'm thinking essential oil in the rind got you. IIRC orange oil had the highest concentration of Aldehyde (by volume) of any food tested.