• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. metalnun

Worse or better after menopause?

I am both sorry, and yet at the same time, reassured, to read that other women are having this problem. At least we are in good company. I was beginning to wonder if there may be some terrible new condition affecting me. I haven't been on this forum for a while, and just came back today upon...
  2. metalnun

'yoga created by men for male bodies'

We get many calls from Yoga practitioners and teachers who are shocked to find they have prolapse. “How could this be? I’ve been practicing Yoga for thirty years.” is a common comment'. (Christine Kent). One of the problems I am having with this entire discussion is that it is unclear to me...
  3. metalnun

I don't believe I've said ANYTHING that could be remotely construed as "fear mongering" in this thread, other than to explain that strong abdominal muscles are important for spinal stability and that the lumbar posture recommended by CK has been known to cause back strain in some people. Re...
  4. metalnun

metalnun

Yoga teacher, holistic wellness/spiritual counselor and metal singer at karaoke, diagnosed with CFIDS in 1992, in nearly complete remission from 1997-2012, relapsed in 2013 and confident that I will soon be well again. I'm not waiting for doctors to find a cure. The body can heal itself with...
  5. metalnun

This Was Probably a Mistake, but FWIW...

I stumbled across this forum during a Google search while catching up on the latest "research" (or lack thereof) re: ME/CFS/CFIDS, in particular, the rather amusing attempts by Dr. Simon Wessely to demonstrate that ME/CFS is a "behavioral" condition which responds to CBT - and his more recent...
  6. metalnun

CDC: CFS not subject to opportunistic infections?!

Again, I realize this is "anecdotal" but it (my own experience) is all I've got: I caught strep throat from an asymptomatic carrier who had been fully treated with antibiotics. Per the CDC, this is NOT supposed to be possible unless you have a weakened immune system. "Immunocompromised,"...
  7. metalnun

Waiting To Exhale: Breathing and ME/CFS

Ujjayi breath along with simple, gentle arm movements is very beneficial although as JAM said, not a "cure" per se. My teacher, Mark Whitwell, recommends doing this yoga for at least 7 minutes every morning and it really does wonders for physical as well as mental/emotional stress. Here he is...
  8. metalnun

Very true! However, it is "relevant" in that at least 15 million people in America are doing quote-unquote "yoga."
  9. metalnun

Christine Kent is one. The most famous fear-monger is William J. Broad, who wrote several articles in the NY Times which have since been largely debunked by yogis and medical professionals. Yoga when performed correctly - which means using the proper breathing technique, adapting the poses...
  10. metalnun

thx for all your thoughtful replies! I guess I should clarify: By "opportunistic infections" I am referring to any organism (bacterial, viral or fungal) that would not become aggressive or symptomatic in a person with a properly functioning immune system - such as I was prior to getting CFIDS...
  11. metalnun

Hello, As mentioned in another post (re: Dr. Wessely), I am new to this forum and have been "out of the loop" for a while until recently. My disease (CFIDS) was at least 90% in remission from 1997 until spring of 2013. I have discussed this in my blog, My Battle with CFIDS. My question is...
  12. metalnun

I would like to address this concern, as a yoga teacher since the early 1980s and practitioner since 1976, also certified in Pilates and Holistic Wellness and recently retired from 22 years working in mainstream medicine. While it is true that traditional yoga schools catered to men, and...