• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. W

IiME have just received this letter from NICE

Given that it hasn't been published as yet and seems unlikely to make the timescale, it seems more likely that it will be the LTFU. I wonder if NICE will be as happy to whitewash the null result as the authors were.
  2. W

IiME have just received this letter from NICE

Perhaps the British Association of Amateur Dramatics will get involved as well.
  3. W

New MEGA study website (30 November 2016)

I imagine Holgate thinks that there is enough of "CFS" to be carved up and handed round to everyone who wants a bit. I don't think he's twigged that some people see this as a zero sum game.
  4. W

Spreading the word - other ME/CFS forums

Ah, but it wouldn't be an ME picture if she hadn't had time to do her make up before the mild suffering began. :)
  5. W

Spreading the word - other ME/CFS forums

She has the look of someone who's seen something grotesque yet fascinating on the TV, Ed Balls on Strictly Come Dancing perhaps.
  6. W

The Lost Years

Made me do a proper LOL there.
  7. W

The Lost Years

I tend to find that it's the "young" ones who are still angry. You should keep that; it's hard to stick it out for 20 years.
  8. W

Petition: Opposing MEGA

Does anyone remember what happened to all the people who said that Autism wasn't "real"? Or that MS was hysterical paralysis? My guess is: probably not very much. If anyone cared, it wouldn't be happening.
  9. W

BMJ Blogs: Ethical Failures in the treatment of CFS

I've got a corner of a postage stamp just the right size for this piece.
  10. W

The Lost Years

Dilettante :)
  11. W

The Lost Years

And here was me hoping that at least if I got to 20 years I could beat you.
  12. W

Psychological Medicine paper: behaviours that perpetuate ME: Chalder and Ross-Morris

I think within the politics of ME, all the grubby low politics is on the one side, whilst we only seem to have two modes - walk away into irrelevance with our fists raised in the air, or stand there nodding along as we get creamed. I remember Barbara Castle had a phrase about Jack Straw, saying...
  13. W

Trial by Error: The Dutch Studies +

Whatever it's effect, it has been interesting to watch his generally measured, though occasionally barbed critique evolve into a Margaret Williams-esque fury over the course of the last year. One explanation is that he sick of having to make the same arguments over and over again about the same...
  14. W

Walitt and Shorter - again!

Raising the tone - "Walitt and Shorter, Walitt and Shorter, la la, la-la-la, la la la…"
  15. W

Imagine what it's like being British.
  16. W

This week I am mostly imagining a never ending torrent of scientific clarification and bile emitting from the mouth of David Tuller: http://www.virology.ws/2016/12/02/trial-by-error-continued-the-dutch-studies-again-and-an-esther-crawley-bonus/
  17. W

What do You think is your most disabling symptom?

The kind that turn up at the wrong time, pinch all your money and call you a twat.
  18. W

Psychological Medicine paper: behaviours that perpetuate ME: Chalder and Ross-Morris

It's a wonder they bother doing the trials really. I could write that abstract up now.
  19. W

New MEGA study website (30 November 2016)

AYME have got some nerve to ask for funds on this basis, when they actively support doctors putting parents and children under exactly that kind of pressure.
  20. W

What do You think is your most disabling symptom?

Being freezing cold all the time, except when I'm red hot. Interrupts my sleep, impacts on other activities and makes them far more difficult that they would otherwise be. It's like the ringmaster that conducts the three ring circus. I'm firmly of the opinion that if it would just bugger off I'd...
  21. W

MEA website poll for December: Change in health status over the past year

Given that everyone's clearly getting worse and no one's getting better, I'd say it isn't making too much difference.
  22. W

Lord Freud (DWP) retires

A rare spark of festive cheer in an otherwise miserable existence. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-welfare-reform-minister-retires-9373672 I wonder what other vicious misanthrope they can find to replace him.
  23. W

Court Dismisses Judy Mikovits Lawsuit.

Or you just really enjoyed it a lot. :)
  24. W

Some anecdotal evidence that PEM is linked with immune system

Just wanted to salute everyone's euphemisming. Keep it up! (so to speak...)
  25. W

Canary in a Coal Mine becomes 'Unrest'

You have to do it in that movie trailer voice though.
  26. W

Walitt and Shorter - again!

You shouldn't call Shorter that. He might get upset. :)
  27. W

Rather satisfying that the PR populous was generally found to be having none of it.