• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. aturtles

THE STAGES OF METHYLATION AND HEALING

There are multiple forms of potassium. I don't know if this is relevant to you, but just in case... I find potassium gluconate to be easiest on my stomach. Surprisingly, brand can matter, even in this. I use NOW.
  2. aturtles

Valtrex, valacyclovir dose standard?

I find that 1g of valacyclovir noticeably and reliably reduces sudden (<1 day) fatigue symptoms, which I attribute to efficacy in reducing EBV recurrence. I'm just today doing that very reversal, and--for me--the effects are fast and marked. (Like 30 minutes to felt improvement in energy.)...
  3. aturtles

Anyone tried Ultra Vitamin from Quicksilver?

I've just started using Quicksilver liposomal Methylcobalamin a week ago. Yes, the amounts are lower because absorption is expected to be better. For MeCbl, if QS liposomal works as advertised, it's as - or nearly as effective as - an injection, and so these amounts are plenty. I've had many...
  4. aturtles

Intrinsic Factor Supplement

I have. After being diagnosed with PA (or at least elevated anti-perietal cell antibodies) last month, I bought an IF formula, and have been taking it for about a week. First time I took it, I noticed a number of good things, including warming in the throat, stomach, and extremities, along with...
  5. aturtles

Methylcobalamin Group Buy

@garyfritz , a bright red nose is an indicator that the spray delivery system and/or the user aren't quite up to snuff. (Heh.) :) You apply the nasal correctly, no red shows, but the doing-it-right is something I've had to practice. I think I finally have it. More on that another time. I snort...
  6. aturtles

Methylcobalamin Group Buy

I've moved to MeCbl (methylcobalamin) nasal spray as my primary way to get MeCbl into my system. I now make my own nasal spray, using saline of my choice and the MeCbl from the last purchase that @skwag and @AlmostEasy are discussing. I'm pleased with the results. I understand you being...
  7. aturtles

WARNING - LOW POTASSIUM IS DANGEROUS

I am not giving medical advice, for sure. Don't take anything I say as medical advice. I am, however, perfectly happy to share my experience -- my own clues -- with people who are doing similar methylation supplementation work. I've been doing this work for over a year and a half, with...
  8. aturtles

Fred's protocol need help

I had been taking a calcium/magnesium/zinc formula -- an inexpensive one -- and then did some research, discovering that the zinc form used in the formula -- zinc oxide -- has extremely poor bioavailability. So I started using zinc picolinate, which has high bioavailability. That almost...
  9. aturtles

Fred's protocol need help

Actually, in my year of working the Freddd protocol, I've found strength of orgasm to be a very good indicator of overall systemic health -- it changed as I got better. Lots of other indicators, too, of course, like energy, and skin, and sleep. But sex drive and orgasm quality is something we...
  10. aturtles

Fred's protocol/methylation same and biotin dosage?

The simplest answer is that we don't know. Some of my research turns up these relevant quotes: "The maximum safe dose of biotin is unknown." "Because it is generally safe and well-tolerated many people take as high as 10000mcg [10mg] a day with no documented side effects." "...according to...
  11. aturtles

For those on Freddd's protocol: how do you time your vitamin C intake?

@Soporificat, in my opinion it's easy to be over-concerned with this sort of thing. My experience and research tells me that interference of vitamin C with other supplements is somewhat speculative, and varies tremendously depending on the supplement, and how much you are taking. How much C...
  12. aturtles

panicky and having suicidal thoughts after 2 months of unsuccessfully addressing methyl trapping

I doubt potassium is the culprit, Ford. Our bodies need a lot of it and go through it fast. You're more likely to be in potassium deficit than in excess. An accomplished nephrologist of my acquaintance assured me that if your kidneys are healthy it is nearly impossible to overdose on potassium...
  13. aturtles

panicky and having suicidal thoughts after 2 months of unsuccessfully addressing methyl trapping

@Kathevans , TMG (Trimethylglycine) helped me a lot with anxiety while doing methylation work.
  14. aturtles

For those on Freddd's protocol: how do you time your vitamin C intake?

Good questions. I have some of the same questions. I consider taking C "away" from other things to be only some 20 minutes surrounding it, so I take it "away" from L-MTHF and Calc/Mag, but not by hours. Anyone else have specific info on best way to take C and what to avoid taking with it?
  15. aturtles

Treating Brain Fog with sam-E methylation

Just to be clear, I don't speak for Freddd. I've chatted with him at length and read a good number of his posts, but even so, anything I say here about him or his protocol is only my impression and interpretation. As I see it, Freddd never set out to provide a complete system that everyone...
  16. aturtles

Treating Brain Fog with sam-E methylation

Freddd suggests taking L-MTHF (l-methylfolate) multiple times a day because of the short time it stays in your system. My experience mirrors this, that at 4 hours without L-MTHF I start to notice its lack. Freddd also takes L-MTHF on an empty stomach (along with other supplements in the protocol...
  17. aturtles

Insomnia is driving me nuts...

Everyone is different. The body is a complicated system dependant on many factors for how well various metabolic cycles work. Gender, age, genetics, impact (falls, car collisions, etc), disease, toxins, and long-term stressors, can make the difference between one person's reaction and another's...
  18. aturtles

Fred's protocol/methylation same and biotin dosage?

I don't believe freddd says how much SAM-e or biotin. SAMe he recommends titrating up, possibly over months. My research says " 600-1,200mg range over the course of a day, divided into two or three separated doses with meals" (http://examine.com/supplements/S-Adenosyl+Methionine/), so that...
  19. aturtles

Will be Ramping up MFolate/MB12 (need guidance)

An update: I no longer use Barlean's. I tried Wiley's fish oil, and I could feel the difference so clearly and positively in my body that I didn't look back. There can be so very much range in the quality of some supplements...! Wileys. Highly recommended. http://wileysfinest.com/faq/
  20. aturtles

Methylation protocol issues, only three months in

@sunking101: I've been on Freddd's protocol for not quite 11 months. I understand the frustration -- I went through it -- a lot of us did. For me it came down to a question of how badly I needed to get better. I ended up clearing the metaphorical table completely of all vitamins and starting...
  21. aturtles

I would get away from folic acid. I know from personal experience that it can interfere with the methylation cycle in some disastrous ways. Within an hour of taking it, I was in a nightmare land. I ran out of l-methyfolate, you see, and on my doctor's advice that folic acid was just as good...
  22. aturtles

B-12 - The Hidden Story

@ahmo, so glad muscle testing works for you! I tried to learn it, but it wasn't for me. Just didn't work for me. What I've been experimenting with is training my body to respond with useful information from *taste*. I taste every supplement I take, and listen to my body's reaction to that...
  23. aturtles

B-12 - The Hidden Story

I take 50mg AdoCbl weekly, but under some circumstances I'll take a half tab daily as well, which Freddd says some people do need. Some people need it far less often -- every four weeks. It varies. Note that it need not on a day without MeCbl; more important is that you put a small break...
  24. aturtles

Methylcobalamin Inhalation Therapy

$$ is right. There are a number of approaches to getting MeCbl into the system, and many of us are hoping for a near-term future in where high-quality MeCbl is not so expensive, so we can, for example, use liquid nasal spray -- needs more, but seems to achieve somewhat different absorption...
  25. aturtles

Methylcobalamin Inhalation Therapy

Fractionated coconut oil is an interesting idea, and worth trying. The ecig equipment can be pretty fussy -- I've burnt out cartridges by using the wrong mix, so keep in mind that some experimentation may be necessary. if you do try FCO, @leela, please report back about how it works, and in...
  26. aturtles

Voracious need for B12

Thank you for the citations. Interesting stuff that propelled me to do more research. This all brought up three more immediate questions for me: 1. What substance are we talking about? B6 or P5P? They are not the same thing and do not affect at lease some people the same way. This is...
  27. aturtles

Voracious need for B12

I'd like to see some citations on this. I'm not saying you're wrong, but my research indicates that this is not the case, that most people running into problems with high dose P5P are really experiencing deficits in something else, most likely other methyl donors, like methylcobalamin AKA B12s...
  28. aturtles

Comment by 'aturtles' in 'Stepping into the Freddd Methylation Protocol'

Thank you, @whodathunkit, and @ahmo. This is really just a start at an introduction, an overview that I can direct people to in order to find out more. I feel that those of us who are benefiting from the work so many and Freddd in particular do here have an obligation, however small, to pass...
  29. aturtles

Stepping into the Freddd Methylation Protocol

I am often asked perfectly sensible questions like: "What is this 'methylation cycle work' you say has changed your life?" and "What supplements do you actually take?" and "Who is this Freddd guy and what is his Protocol?" The more I learn, the harder it is to answer, because there are so many...
  30. aturtles

Recent Freddd Posts on his experience (aka "protocol")

Some short Freddd posts from Dec - Feb 2014 that cover a lot of fundamentals about how he sees methylation work. I recommend these to everyone interested in his approach. Step-wise start-up made simple, overview, "penetrative dose" comments Start-up experiences, MeCbl, AdoCbl, Potassium...