• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. M

*Sign Petition!*

Hello, This still needs signatures! Lots of them!
  2. M

*Sign Petition!*

bumping. Let's try for 1000 signatures by the end of the week.
  3. M

Petition calling for retraction of Wellcome Trust press release

bumping. Let's try for 1000 signatures by the end of the week.
  4. M

*Sign Petition!*

This is a really important petition. If people do not sign, many of us will face doctors in the new year who will have closed off their minds to the possibility of XMRV involvement. The press release was a publicity stunt with deep, harmful impact on future interest, funding and support. It...
  5. M

Retrovirology Publishes Five Papers on XMRV and Contamination

I was mislead about this. Apparently it is a different Smith and the person complaining about the review process of Science and Nature is yet a different person.
  6. M

Petition calling for retraction of Wellcome Trust press release

bumping. Everyone really should sign this. That press release and the media blitz that followed could do SERIOUS damage in terms of scientific interest, funding and policy support. It should have thousands of signatures.
  7. M

Good News From The NIH..Patient Advocate for NIH State of Knowledge Workshop

Keith Baker has been nominated at ME/CFS forums, and I think people here should consider supporting this nomination also. Keith has given excellent testimony in the past. His whole family has become sick, but, interestingly, he is adopted. Predisposition theories deserve some serious...
  8. M

it should be noted the Smith, who wrote the commentary the accompanied the 4 studies published on monday, has also made the claim in his blog that Science and Nature are biased journals and are not rigorous. This claim is bound to make many many scientists VERY angry! Work it to your...
  9. M

goneAWOL's latest in a series of excellent comments on the CBC site: krakaus - Your argument that somehow the review processes for the two highest impact journals that exist, Science and Nature, is somehow inferior to that for Retrovirology, PLoS and BMJ does not hold. The Lombardi et al...
  10. M

sedimentation rate during remission?

Many extremely interesting posts have been deleted from this thread unfortunately. It used to be better.
  11. M

Culture Positive but Serology Negative

I said that the severely affected are PARTICULARLY at risk of a false negative serology, not that they are the only ones at risk.
  12. M

Culture Positive but Serology Negative

Many people who are more severely affected in particular will have negative serology tests because their immune systems are not doing great, and they have stopped producing antibodies. Even where anti-bodies ARE produced, production is likely weak, and may not be picked up every time. At this...
  13. M

XMRV Buzz - Take a Deep Breath/the Big XMRV Meeting, Singh On XMRV, Sample prep?

Reposting from another thread: Not only are MuLVs NOT benign, they also tend to cause a disease prgression that is eerily similar to CCC ME/CFS. Too much so to be mere coincidence. Too bad people spouting lazy and unsupported theories of contamination and opportunistic infection are too lazy to...
  14. M

Does a normal brain MRI mean NO XMRV?

yeah, Not only are they NOT benign, they also tend to cause a disease prgression that is eerily similar to CCC ME/CFS. Too much so to be mere coincidence. Too bad people spouting theories of opportunistic infection are too lazy to actually look at the huge body of research on CCC ME/CFS and the...
  15. M

XMRV Buzz - Take a Deep Breath/the Big XMRV Meeting, Singh On XMRV, Sample prep?

1. Why do you give so much importance to sample processing, when XMRV has been found in samples frozen for over 10 years (Dr. Peterson samples) and Alter-Lo found HMRVs in 15 year frozen samples? Clearly MANY other problems are influencing the results of negative studies. Methodologies that rely...
  16. M

Looking to Interview Recovered ME/CFS Patients

I think this is a pretty blanket statement that depends on so many unknowns. It may soon turn out that many of us have a disease that is CAUSED by a retrovirus. Therefore, anyone who does not have that retrovirus does not have the same disease. This does not mean they are not sick, it simply...
  17. M

Positive Choices Avoid Chronic Illness

Well that's fine, but the article says that with positive choices we would all avoid chronic illness. See title. Call me grouchy ( ;) ) but I am offended by that. i am not sick because of negative choices.
  18. M

Positive Choices Avoid Chronic Illness

Hi, new here. ggingues do you agree with this article? Do you think it applies to CFS?